R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman Wheel Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Momo 17's on a CR

Old 08-26-2008, 05:17 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm ... I really like them on your CR ... they seem to work better than on the HC that was posted earlier.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Joep
Thanks guys. It's okay. Lesson learned. I guess I'm going to have to wait and save the cash for a new wheel. I'd like to get one used but I don't see them out here or on sunshineminis very often.

My father has had several wheels repaired on BMWs and Mercedes at a place in Charlotte. It can DEFINITELY be done. He had it done on his 911 the first time, those are some wide suckers.

You are wasting your money buying a new wheel IMHO. It CAN be sanded and fixed and you will never know.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:11 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wampa
You are wasting your money buying a new wheel IMHO. It CAN be sanded and fixed and you will never know.
+1

Old 08-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
17x7 "hyper-black" mesh wheels by Arospeed:

Regards,
Terry

Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Terry, I think they look great! Are they actually black or more of a "gun metal"?

Parkerton - those look wonderful on your CR.

I've been perusing wheels on Tire Rack and Discount Tires... I'm a complete novice and don't really understand the finer points to "silver machined" vs "silver" vs "painted", etc., etc. Are the stock wheels - say on the base Clubman 15" considered "silver machined"?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Terry, I think they look great! Are they actually black or more of a "gun metal"?

Parkerton - those look wonderful on your CR.

I've been perusing wheels on Tire Rack and Discount Tires... I'm a complete novice and don't really understand the finer points to "silver machined" vs "silver" vs "painted", etc., etc. Are the stock wheels - say on the base Clubman 15" considered "silver machined"?
Thanks! The wheels have bright silver surfaces but the sides of the spokes look black but are actually a shade of silver. It is difficult to explain but easy to understand in person, looking at the wheels.

Machined wheels are polished to a certain degree and (usually) covered with a clear coat. These will be bright and shiny. Anthricite, black chrome, etc are painted.

The stock 15"s are only painted silver and look dull compared to machined wheels.

Best regards,
Terry

Old 08-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks Terry, now I like your wheels even better! Did you buy them locally and actually see them first, or did you go through a web/mail order place?

And, finally, what is a "mesh wheel" and how is it different from others?

Last edited by Otra; 08-27-2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: more questions
Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
I went to a local shop that specializes in aftermarket wheels, usually chrome monsters for SUVs but they have some "normal" wheels too. The wheels are inexpensive, running just under a grand with tires, mtg, balancing, front end alignment, etc. My goal was to buy some brand of mesh wheels, I wasn't focusing on this brand but rather the style and I am happy with the results. What's nice about the hyper-black is that it really hides brake dust well yet is not dull in appearance.

Regards,
Terry

Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I hope you all won't mind explaining a few things to a novice wheel buyer.

Let's say that one wanted to buy some new wheels and they are
engineered to use Original Equipment lug hardware and therefore lug hardware is not included with your order.
but that you need those Tire Pressure Monitors to go on them and don't want to take them off your factory wheels because you want to use those factory wheels for your snow tires.. Then one has to buy new ones and according to Tire Rack
433MHZ TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR
$168.00 for a quantity of 4

REQUIRED VALVE
$32.00 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $200.00
all this stuff sure does add up. So you have to add that $200 onto the cost of the wheels, then add in the tires...and before you know it that's quite a bit of money.

And as for brands of wheels, how does one know what constitutes a good brand? Is Kosei a good brand and how about Sport Edition? What about forged vs machined vs painted... And what makes something a "mesh" wheel?

I think I need a primer on wheels, let alone tires.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
correct about the above OTRA ...

and also don't forget that if you are NOT buying the entire package from Tire Rack for example ... or from a place that does not sell the TPMS sensors ... then its best to order the wheels ant tires separate ... unmounted.

As when they will arrive, you will have to take the tires off the wheels anyway to put in the TPMS sensors

Old 08-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I guess I will be weighing my choices and probably postponing for a while.

But how about understanding the levels of wheels from bad to OK, to fine for me and should last years and not need to be painted/etc., etc.? I mean we all have different ideas of what's expensive...for example I can't imagine spending $1000 on new wheels and tires right now...while I'm sure for others that's small change...but I would also not want to ultimately waste my money on wheels that weren't going to hold up, you know what I mean?

Granted I do not need to buy new wheels right now...but one does like to think ahead and/or obsess.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Beastmaster
1st Gear
Upgraded to the black JCW wheels.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Beastmaster

I love the black wheels on on the PW. We will be adding Blk Konig Feathers to our vehicle as soon as it comes in Nov..

Old 08-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Joep
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
My father has had several wheels repaired on BMWs and Mercedes at a place in Charlotte. It can DEFINITELY be done. He had it done on his 911 the first time, those are some wide suckers.

Wampa.... I just saw your response. I guess I need to find a place here in the Orlando area and see what they can do. I need to find the business! Thanks for your advice.

Joe

Old 08-28-2008, 05:51 PM
jedm3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
I hope you all won't mind explaining a few things to a novice wheel buyer.

Let's say that one wanted to buy some new wheels and they are but that you need those Tire Pressure Monitors to go on them and don't want to take them off your factory wheels because you want to use those factory wheels for your snow tires.. Then one has to buy new ones and according to Tire Rack all this stuff sure does add up. So you have to add that $200 onto the cost of the wheels, then add in the tires...and before you know it that's quite a bit of money.

And as for brands of wheels, how does one know what constitutes a good brand? Research of mfgr. is suggested. Typically, cheaper is "cheaper"Is Kosei a good brand and how about Sport Edition? Kosei builds a good wheel. What about forged vs machined vs painted... And what makes something a "mesh" wheel? Forged is the best, and cast(most wheels under $200) is the least expensive. Cast is not necessarily bad, but some wheels are not well made in comparison to others(bend easily or may actually crack due to bumps) Mesh is just a pattern like that used on older BMWs.
Machined lips have various metal finishes as opposed to painted or powdercoated.

Also,
Some wheels require different lugs depending on thickness or attachment. Check on that requirements.
You will need to have tmps with wheels or move from your existing wheels or you will end up with alarm displayed.
Good luck with the search and enjoy!
Cheers,
John

I think I need a primer on wheels, let alone tires.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:33 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks jedm3, maybe I'll PM you with some more questions.

I've noticed quite a few folks talking about the Konig Feathers - which I like, too. They are not what I'd call a very expensive wheel, depending on size they seem to range in cost between $92 to $150 a wheel.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:34 AM
geoffv
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rasputinj
I love the black wheels on on the PW. We will be adding Blk Konig Feathers to our vehicle as soon as it comes in Nov..
Looks good rasputinj. Do I see a JCW fin on the back? If so can you post a picture of it? I'm really thinking about adding that to my HC-S once I upgrade my wheels.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Truck Bolts
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Beastmaster

I love the black wheels!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:48 PM
HTClubman
5th Gear
rasputinj and I will be putting 17s on our Clubman S (after market)...and are currently selecting some sweet black rims - to go with our PW, black top, black racing stripes.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:07 PM
ephotodfw
1st Gear
17" Focal F5's Silver

Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ephotodfw
17" Focal F5's Silver

Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Joep
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
Lady G.... I gotta agree. Those are sweet wheels. Man those wheels add to the beauty of his Clubman!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:23 PM
ephotodfw
1st Gear
thx guys!
-e

Old 09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
I love those 17" Focal F5's Silver wheels they are really original...

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman Wheel Thread