R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Laser Blue Clubman Owner's Club

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 04:21 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maacodale
We'll pass along our sympathies as well. We had to put our pup down about 6 years ago. She was 13 and had right many issues, but to this day we still miss her. Good luck, and remember all you Laser Blue Clubbie buddies are with ya!
(Also sorry for the temporary thread-jack.)

Appreciate the camaraderie! It really does help. "Cody Ann" gave us more joy in her 16 1/2 wonderful yrs. than we could ever have imagined!!! We finally had to let go and put her down when we realized the struggle from all her infirmities had become too much. The love of a pet is a priceless gift no one should miss out on.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:59 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The truck delivered mine to the dealer today, they'll prep it and tint the windows and sometime next week I'll motor home in it! Yay!

Got to inspect it fresh off the truck and see no evidence of damage...........

Old 02-15-2009, 05:45 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
The heck with the car, who's the redhead dish? I'm allowed to say this - my wife is a beautiful redhead, too!

Old 02-15-2009, 06:06 AM
ClubDal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
Thanks so much for your warm compassion! I know you understand how terribly painful it is; they are like children to us! It happened a few days after Christmas, so the hurt, while ever-present, is a little less "raw" now. We can only look forward to the day we'll meet up with her again at "Rainbow Bridge"...OMG, what a wonderful day that will be!!!
(((3DogDepot)))...so sorry for your loss. 16 1/2 years is a good long life though...so glad that you had so much precious time with her!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:33 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
The heck with the car, who's the redhead dish? I'm allowed to say this - my wife is a beautiful redhead, too!
That's the lovely and talented Mrs. Minidave, TYVM..........

Old 02-15-2009, 02:36 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubDal
(((3DogDepot)))...so sorry for your loss. 16 1/2 years is a good long life though...so glad that you had so much precious time with her!
Thank you, ClubDal. You're right, we feel blessed to have had her as long as we did. Just a sad fact that they don't last as long as people. At least now we're comforted knowing she's together with my Dad in Heaven (They were great buds. ).

BTW, hope Sapphire is doing well.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:52 PM
ClubDal
3rd Gear
Thank you, ClubDal. You're right, we feel blessed to have had her as long as we did. Just a sad fact that they don't last as long as people. At least now we're comforted knowing she's together with my Dad in Heaven (They were great buds. ).

BTW, hope Sapphire is doing well.
I'm so glad that she has good company!!! That's a comfort I will share when Sapphire's time comes; she & my Dad were quite the team for many years on the "farm" in Kentucky.

We just celebrated Sapphire's 15th birthday last week...amazes me every day!

On the Galileo front, he got his first paint chips when I took my mom and her humongous suitcase to the airport. I wasn't able to lift it UP and out of the boot because it was so heavy, so it slid across the bumper and left a couple of scratches. Annoyed me no end! I know it was all my fault, but still. I ordered the touch up paint, and my loving husband will try his hand with it soon.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:39 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubDal
I'm so glad that she has good company!!! That's a comfort I will share when Sapphire's time comes; she & my Dad were quite the team for many years on the "farm" in Kentucky.

We just celebrated Sapphire's 15th birthday last week...amazes me every day!

On the Galileo front, he got his first paint chips when I took my mom and her humongous suitcase to the airport. I wasn't able to lift it UP and out of the boot because it was so heavy, so it slid across the bumper and left a couple of scratches. Annoyed me no end! I know it was all my fault, but still. I ordered the touch up paint, and my loving husband will try his hand with it soon.
Happy Birthday, Sapphire! At this stage, every day's a gift!

Don't stress too much about the paint chips - just makes him identifiably "yours"! "Max" got "christened" within the first two weeks of ownership from a stray rock on the highway. Like most metallics, Laser Blue is hard to touch-up, but the silver part might be a tad easier.

Something very similar happened to my new Miata during Hurricane Charley in '04. I was terribly "wound up" and full of anxiety, as well as tired from lifting a heavy cooler in and out of my trunk. It dragged across the lip chipping it in the process - extremely upsetting! The best advice I can offer for the repair is to use a cut end of a match-stick and let the paint "wick" into the chip filling it just slightly higher than the surface (leaving a convex rather than concave blob). Let that dry really well (over night, at least) as it will level out and "sink" on its own as it dries. Once fully dry, polish repeatedly using something with a little abrasive in it, reducing the height of the blob and blending it gradually. Not perfect, but turns out pretty good. Many experienced people use sandpaper with success, but I always seem to make it worse. Good Luck and don't beat yourself up over it!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:19 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I'm in the club! (yes awful pun intended, sorry)

Got mine yesterday afternoon...........

Old 02-21-2009, 10:32 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Wow, Dave, it looks REALLY nice - good on ya, laddie! I was going to order a body-colored roof if I had bought mine new. However, I found one (gently) used for a great price and went with that. It has the black rooof and sunroofs. Looks really good, I saw it from my 2nd story window the other day and the sunroofs blend in quite well with the black roof.

And hey, either way, we gots us the bestest lookin' Minis on this here website, right?!!

I just got back from having a tint job done on the windows, went with 35% - legal in Maryland. The guy did a terrific job and only charged me $100 - I'm pleased as punch right now! I', fixin' to give it a wash right after lunch, I'll take some pics then and post 'em for everyone to drool over, heh, heh...

Old 02-21-2009, 11:47 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Okay. got the wash job done, my life is complete Here's a link to a Picasa Web Album with pics of the car showing the new window tinting job. I did not go very dark, kept it legal at 35%. Still, I think it looks SWEET, bring on the Summer, baby!

http://picasaweb.google.com/rlwainwright/AfterTinting#

Old 02-21-2009, 02:32 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Thanks!

I'm pretty happy with it so far, but I now have more info to add to the torque steer discussion...................I would have to add the modifier that it depends on the tires and the temps. Today's a cold day, and from a dead stop on the stock run flats it was definitely spinning the right front tire from stop. Also, if you hit some bumps while accelerating pretty good it will jump around some. So, keep both hands on the wheel if you're give it a bit of the welly!

$100 for tint was a steal! I did the 35% as well on mine, it looks good and in a hot Kansas summer you need all the help you can get. That and the fact that I never opened it on my '03 is why I went without the sunroof on this one.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:41 PM
ClubDal
3rd Gear
Don't stress too much about the paint chips - just makes him identifiably "yours"! "Max" got "christened" within the first two weeks of ownership from a stray rock on the highway. Like most metallics, Laser Blue is hard to touch-up, but the silver part might be a tad easier.

Something very similar happened to my new Miata during Hurricane Charley in '04. I was terribly "wound up" and full of anxiety, as well as tired from lifting a heavy cooler in and out of my trunk. It dragged across the lip chipping it in the process - extremely upsetting! The best advice I can offer for the repair is to use a cut end of a match-stick and let the paint "wick" into the chip filling it just slightly higher than the surface (leaving a convex rather than concave blob). Let that dry really well (over night, at least) as it will level out and "sink" on its own as it dries. Once fully dry, polish repeatedly using something with a little abrasive in it, reducing the height of the blob and blending it gradually. Not perfect, but turns out pretty good. Many experienced people use sandpaper with success, but I always seem to make it worse. Good Luck and don't beat yourself up over it!
Thanks for the understanding & advice . Still haven't applied the touch up paint; plan to give him a nice bath next weekend and fix him all up!

Old 02-21-2009, 04:42 PM
ClubDal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
I'm in the club! (yes awful pun intended, sorry)

Got mine yesterday afternoon...........
WELCOME! What a beauty...

Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Yum Yum Driver
1st Gear
yeah, we get to join the club too, I picked ours up on Saturday

Old 03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
rlw
3rd Gear
Hi YumYum Driver! Nice car, too bad you messed up and got the wrong roof color. Oh well, live and learn, you young pups will eventually get it right one of these days <g>.

One thing you did really right is that spoiler on the back, is that one of the stock units? If so, I can see me springing for one of those bad boys this summer. Can you provide a linky for that?

Also, if you want to see a really slick Laser Blue Clubbie S, surf on over to this website and take a peek at my bad boy, flames and all:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rlwainwright/FlameOnJohnny#

Additionally, if you're up for ogling an absolutely beautiful woman, click on this link - she's a 5'9", freckle-faced, Scotch-Irish honey - truly my pride and joy!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/rlwainwr...63061063833266

I am, without a doubt, just about the luckiest guy in the world! Not only is she drop-dead gorgeous, but she's a blue ribbon winning cook and is just about the nicest gal walking God's green Earth. And she'd have to be to put up with my ***** <g>.

Let me know what you guys think about the flames. And don't be afraid to slam 'em if you don't like 'em - I'd really like to hear some honest opinions - political correctness only serves to **** me off...

Best Wishes, Laddies

Old 03-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Yum Yum Driver
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rlw

One thing you did really right is that spoiler on the back, is that one of the stock units? If so, I can see me springing for one of those bad boys this summer. Can you provide a linky for that?

Also, if you want to see a really slick Laser Blue Clubbie S, surf on over to this website and take a peek at my bad boy, flames and all:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rlwainwright/FlameOnJohnny#

Additionally, if you're up for ogling an absolutely beautiful woman, click on this link - she's a 5'9", freckle-faced, Scotch-Irish honey - truly my pride and joy!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/rlwainwr...63061063833266

I am, without a doubt, just about the luckiest guy in the world! Not only is she drop-dead gorgeous, but she's a blue ribbon winning cook and is just about the nicest gal walking God's green Earth. And she'd have to be to put up with my ***** <g>.

Let me know what you guys think about the flames. And don't be afraid to slam 'em if you don't like 'em - I'd really like to hear some honest opinions - political correctness only serves to **** me off...

Best Wishes, Laddies
I didn't order the car this time, I was looking to buy another Chili Red car that the dealer had on his lot and when I went on-line to view it again I saw this one and I couldn't stop thinking about it. So I changed my mind and got this one. The only thing it didn't have that was on my list was the xenon lights. I have already removed the bonnet stripes and replaced them with the viper style stripes. The rear spoiler is a factory installed one. I am looking to get the windows tinted next then new wheels and do something about the wheel gap but I will not get it all done in time for this dragon.

rlw-your lady is beautiful, but being a Scotsman myself I have always been partial to Redheads

Old 03-15-2009, 05:40 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I made my first mod to mine..........oh, and I have one of those redheads too........see post #52, this thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 AM
minijclub28
1st Gear
Hi there! I just bought my MINI Cooper Clubman S on Friday and wanted to share my joy and happiness with fellow Laser Blue Clubman owners.

This is the funniest picture. I was with my friends telling them that MINI owners like to park near each other and when we walked out, we saw the yellow one and started laughing. But then we turned to the right and there was a red one too!

Old 06-13-2009, 07:47 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time to bump this thread up!

Amazing! I had to really dig to find the LB thread!

So far the only pics I have are these:

No mods yet, but will probably pick up crossbars and a cargo box soon

-Jim

Old 06-13-2009, 08:25 AM
minijclub28
1st Gear
Hey Jim,

Great pictures of your clubman! I can't get over how great this shade of blue is.

Jayme

Old 06-13-2009, 08:59 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Nice shots, everyone! I especially like the roof rails, and spoiler on the back.

minijclub28, I think the real beauty of this color can only be viewed in person ; pix can be a little scary sometimes.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:32 PM
sgtjosh
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by carman63
Amazing! I had to really dig to find the LB thread!

So far the only pics I have are these:

No mods yet, but will probably pick up crossbars and a cargo box soon

-Jim
That wasn't you driving through Falls Church earlier today, was it?

If so, I'm the guy that waved at you from the dark silver / black Clubman on Great Falls Road.

If not, then you've still got a sweet ride nonetheless (and someone else in NoVA has one that's equally sweet).

Last edited by sgtjosh; 06-13-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:58 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sgtjosh
That wasn't you driving through Falls Church earlier today, was it?
Nope, I was in Fair Oaks the later part of the day tho and saw a red Clubman parked near REI

Old 08-23-2009, 05:14 PM
jgohlke
3rd Gear
Just thought I'd say Hi

I bought a 2009 Laser Blue Clubman S about 6 weeks ago. I've been reading many of the posts on this forum. Very helpful!

I've had the windows tinted, that's it. She's otherwise stock.

That's my Expressway pass in the front window.

Cheers to everybody!

Quick Reply: R55 Laser Blue Clubman Owner's Club