R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Going Nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 PM
outnumbered
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going Nuts!

The order for my Clubman was placed on 4/22, and I still don't have a VIN. My dealer says that I am scheduled for a June delivery, but I'm having serious doubts!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:56 PM
jweiss32807
2nd Gear
Yeah, I would expect you to be further along. Have you talked with your MA? June delivery is still possible (probably 4 weeks from build start to delivery), but you should be able to get a production start date at this point.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I placed my order on 4/12 and its built, traveled across the pond, and probably got off the boat today in Charleston, SC. I could be driving it by this weekend, but probably on Monday/Tuesday. 5 weeks for a custom order sounds pretty quick to me. Anyone else know what the record is?

I got my VIN when production started about a week after placing my order. I'm not sure I agree with the way dealers are provided slots in production. Seems like the volume dealers, or those in dense population areas, are punished becuase they fill their slots quicker. But smaller dealerships would be so far back they wouldn't be able sell a custom order and would probably have to spec most of their cars to maintain supply. I don't know of a better way to do it, but I'm sure it frustrates a bunch of people, dealers too.

I can't remember who, but one guy placed an order the same time I did, and his expected delivery was August. I couldn't/wouldn't wait that long. As it is, I am starting to get anxious about the next week. Its been tough.

Hang in there. I hear its worth it.

Jon W.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
warev
2nd Gear
I placed my order in April and have been told not to expect delivery until September!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 PM
rexicon
4th Gear
Do you have a production # yet? If so call 866-ASK-MINI and see what they say...

Old 05-13-2008, 07:42 PM
catguy
2nd Gear
I called at least ten dealers all over the US.. From the pacific northwest dealer saying 12 to 16 weeks, to the southern calif.. saying 3k above Msrp... to Las Vegas saying 12 weeks.. FInally to Ny found a dealer who took my order last Friday and it is being built I have my Vin number and it will be at their dealership by June 15 and shipped enclosed to Wa State.. The fright will take two to three weeks.. Finally.. Catguy

Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I am guessing that you both understand the whole "allotment" issue with the MINI dealerships - as in they only get so many of these cars that they are allowed to order per month, and thus orders can get stacked up if they've overrun their current month's allotment.

Have either of you asked your Motoring Advisors aka "salesmen" exactly which month's allotment your order is in? As for that September delivery month - unless you don't mind waiting, you might consider seeing if you can find another dealer with a more normal turn around.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. I'm sure you've both considered all of this. I hope you can get some good news soon!

P.S. catguy - good for you. That's basically what I was suggesting. I guess we were both posting at the same time. I'm still amazed when I read about these over sticker quotes!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:55 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealer told me it would be 12 weeks for delivery when I ordered a couple weeks ago.

Does anybody know how long before the actual build a VIN or scheduled date should be available? I tried calling a live person for the first time just now, but they are closed.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by catguy
I called at least ten dealers all over the US.. From the pacific northwest dealer saying 12 to 16 weeks, to the southern calif.. saying 3k above Msrp... to Las Vegas saying 12 weeks.. FInally to Ny found a dealer who took my order last Friday and it is being built I have my Vin number and it will be at their dealership by June 15 and shipped enclosed to Wa State.. The fright will take two to three weeks.. Finally.. Catguy
Do you have to pay shipping or are you able to do a "dealer swap"?

I'm in the home stretch now (end of May delivery supposedly) but I ordered mid-March and always wondered if this might not have been the way to do it...

Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 AM
outnumbered
2nd Gear
I talked with my dealer this morning and found out that VIN's are not issued until the end of the month. He did say that if all the planets aligned correctly, I should be scheduled for a late June delivery.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:45 AM
JGS
3rd Gear
Outnumbered:

Check with a live voice on 866-ASK-MINI. The individual dealer's salesmen do not really all get motivated to really answer your questions and sometimes just hand out sales talk. VIN's are assigned as each production week starts. Use your production number that you get from the dealer to find out more from MINI about your individual auto.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:46 PM
outnumbered
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JGS
Outnumbered:

Check with a live voice on 866-ASK-MINI. The individual dealer's salesmen do not really all get motivated to really answer your questions and sometimes just hand out sales talk. VIN's are assigned as each production week starts. Use your production number that you get from the dealer to find out more from MINI about your individual auto.
Thanks.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:56 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by proximal
My dealer told me it would be 12 weeks for delivery when I ordered a couple weeks ago.

Does anybody know how long before the actual build a VIN or scheduled date should be available? I tried calling a live person for the first time just now, but they are closed.
To answer my own question, I called today and the rep said that the VIN will not be available until just prior to production. He did manage to give me a week 23 date at least.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:09 PM
McCoin
1st Gear
Originally Posted by outnumbered
I talked with my dealer this morning and found out that VIN's are not issued until the end of the month. He did say that if all the planets aligned correctly, I should be scheduled for a late June delivery.
My vin number was issued on a Friday. I think the vin numbers are issued as the factory starts scheduling parts to arrive at the just-in-time production line. The issuance of a vin number seems entirely dependent on production schedules not some special vin isuing date. From the time I got the vin it was about two weeks until the order tracking site at MINIusa showed the car was awaiting transport (ie dockside waiting for the boat).

The biggest issue seems to be when your dealer has an assigned production slot. My first dealer didn't have a slot until the next month, so I found a dealer with a current slot and got the car almost two months earlier.