R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Armrest Stuck Open

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:27 AM
FelixFJ40
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armrest Stuck Open

I need some advice. The storage cover on the factory armrest on our 07 MCSC is stuck in a position that's almost closed but not quite. I'm sure it had something to do with me hopping in and trying to push the whole armrest back with my elbow but only catching the padded compartment cover and wedging it in some weird way. I've pushed pretty hard in both directions, and I can't get it to slide. I'm afraid if I push or pull much harder, I'm going to rip it off.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-13-2007, 11:35 AM
mgibson61611
2nd Gear
It's likely out of the track... My wife pressed hard against it, it slid open and she pushed it crooked. No particular fix except that I worked it back and forth until is 'popped in'. It's been smooth ever since, the hardest part was cautioning my wife against doing it again... I could have been more tactful!

Old 04-13-2007, 01:27 PM
SPICYORANGEMINI
1st Gear
Stuck Armrest Slider

This too happened to me and it was because I had a water bottle in the cup holder in the back seat. Being a small car and sitting in the driver's seat, I must admit I did not swivel around to look just thought I would wrestle the slider into submission. Good thing I have a sharp-eyed husband who lovingly pointed out the cog in my uberhydrating regime, with a smile. I would think you have already exhausted that type of possibility but if not, it may be worth a look-see. And the top was up so it was kinda dark, too. We wives can be a silly bunch.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:34 PM
FelixFJ40
2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice. I've got nobody to blame but myself. It's her brand new car, but I just hopped in and buggered up the arm rest all on my own. I knew right when I'd done it, too. Two days later she says, "Hey, I think this armrest thing is stuck." I played dumb. "Uh, yeah, I noticed that, too... That's weird, huh?"

Now, she'll probably read this, and I'm screwed.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:51 PM
ThomB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FelixFJ40
Thanks for the advice. I've got nobody to blame but myself. It's her brand new car, but I just hopped in and buggered up the arm rest all on my own. I knew right when I'd done it, too. Two days later she says, "Hey, I think this armrest thing is stuck." I played dumb. "Uh, yeah, I noticed that, too... That's weird, huh?"

Now, she'll probably read this, and I'm screwed.
Hmmm, How brand new is the car?

New enough to go to the dealer and say "Hey is this thingy-ma-jig supposed to open?"

Old 04-14-2007, 06:02 PM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
Mine did the same thing.. it like jammed.. and me being me, pushed so hard, it slid off completely.. i was like OMG! it went back on.. and now.. for some reason it slides back and forth real easy..
but i know i didnt break it lol

Old 06-26-2007, 12:16 PM
jgg5
1st Gear
installation instructions on factory armrest

I purchase the factory armrest from mossmini.com and installed. On mossmini.com under interior accessories you will find the factory optional armrest list. There is a clickable "Instruction". The padded top comes unattached. The instructions show, how to slide it on, maybe that will help you get yours unstuck. It was fairly stiff to start and it can easly get out of the groove.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:27 AM
rc'S
5th Gear
The factory arm rests have a storage cavity that is almost useless. I keep my phone charge cord in it, but. It is a pain because if you aren't careful you will slide it part way open with your elbow when you get in. So you need to learn how to properly get in a MINI with a dumb arm rest on it. It does work well to rest your arm on though. It does not like to stay shut very much. By the way, yes if you lean on it just wrong it will come out of its track even when it is closed. Remember it is an armrest not a weight rest. Someone needs to find a good way to screw it shut and forget the useless sliding storage capability.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 AM
dlroto
3rd Gear
the arm rest is crap in the r56, It does it's purpose as a armrest but I question the longetivity of it???

Old 06-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. It's flimsy, holds almost nothing, opens when you don't want it to, won't shut when you do want it to. And it blocks the lumbar adjustment *****. I plan to replace it with one that actuall serves some purpose.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:08 AM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I agree. It's flimsy, holds almost nothing, opens when you don't want it to, won't shut when you do want it to. And it blocks the lumbar adjustment *****. I plan to replace it with one that actuall serves some purpose.
I had problems with my 2006 from the day I took delivery. I think someone (probably me) must have put too much stress on the cover thinking it opened by pivoting upward and in the process busted something on the slide mechanism. After that, the thing never would stay closed like it was supposed to and would creep open from elbow movement when I was shifting grears. I was just about to super-glue the thing shut (doesn't hold much anyway) when I asked at Baron Mini about it. They looked at it, said it was broke, and replaced it under warranty. Still a lame design, but mine at least stays shut now when it is supposed to.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:27 PM
mhend
2nd Gear
I had mine replaced after i took delivery as well. Now this replacement will not stay shut. Do you think i should go back to the dealer ship and replace it a second time, or should I get the super glue?

Old 06-28-2007, 03:44 AM
rc'S
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mhend
I had mine replaced after i took delivery as well. Now this replacement will not stay shut. Do you think i should go back to the dealer ship and replace it a second time, or should I get the super glue?
One vote for super glue! :impatient