R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Need help with Cabrio Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 02:02 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember- the more passengers a teenager has, the higher the statistical probability that they'll be in a serious accident. I know that my daughter's first car will be a 2-seater pickup- they're practical, fun without being TOO fun, and only allow a single passenger. I'd never DREAM of allowing a teen driver into a Mini unles sI was sitting in the passenger seat, and even THEN I'd be white-knuckled the entire time.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:25 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally addicted

Ok, I've been driving this Chili Red Cabrio Loaner for 4 days now and I want one bad. I guess I better start saving my pennies or clean more houses. The two changes I'd make to the car I have is to get the S with a manual tranny and have cloth seats. I about melted to the vinyl sitting in traffic and was too smitten having the top down to make myself more comfortable by putting it up.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah yes....

Nothing like a CR Cabrio, some warm weather, and great tunes on the H/K..... Every day after work, that half-hour experience is much more rewarding than any therapy...

I think another CR Cabrio with white stripes has moved into my township - my daughter saw it today and I passed him on the way home (big wave - a good sign )

So I take it you will keep looking for excuses that the work on your current car is not complete yet and stretch out your cabrio experience ????

Bill

Going to have a great weekend - installing a European Parcel Shelf and wiring an aftermarket Sirius unit into the cabin....

Old 06-30-2006, 04:23 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Remember- the more passengers a teenager has, the higher the statistical probability that they'll be in a serious accident. I know that my daughter's first car will be a 2-seater pickup- they're practical, fun without being TOO fun, and only allow a single passenger. I'd never DREAM of allowing a teen driver into a Mini unles sI was sitting in the passenger seat, and even THEN I'd be white-knuckled the entire time.
I taught my son to drive in my MCS and I let him take his girlfriend to the Senior Ball in the MINI. He had a great time with all the attention. I justified it as being the safest car I owned at that time.
The payback was phenomenal!

Old 06-30-2006, 06:15 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jersey_Bill
So I take it you will keep looking for excuses that the work on your current car is not complete yet and stretch out your cabrio experience ????

As long as they have my MINI I will continue to have fun with their's. I even washed it and cleaned the inside. It was filthy. I had to throw away my wash mitt b/c it was so disgusting. I can not abide a dirty car inside or out

Old 06-30-2006, 06:30 PM
FUEGO
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jersey_Bill
The other secret is that the above procedure results in your windows being halfway down following the lowering process.
Actually, if you keep holding the button the windows should go back to the full up position. This seems to be the way my wife likes to motor with the top down but I prefer the fully open cockpit

Old 07-01-2006, 08:54 PM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Kidding, right?

DSA... you're joking, right?

"Just tested it and if you hold the button down a fifth time for exactly 17 seconds the bonnet pops open."

The bonnet has a manual latch, it's not electronic like the boot. You can't post stuff like that... dumb@sses like me will spend all night trying to make it happen!!!

(Just like the "You can unlock your doors through a cell phone" thread!!)

Old 07-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Xtro
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Bull**it. Maybe 4 in a row until you drive and recharge the battery. I've opened mine remotely dozens of times, uusally on a twice-daily basis. Usually more. besides, if the Mini's under warranty, fry the battery- it's not like opening the roof with the key fob is a usage that would void the warranty. My dealer showed it to ME as a selling point.
Very good point ! It is under warrenty... BUT... If you read another thread on this board, you'll see that someone has just recieved a recall notice on this issue. They want to disable that function.

For me, I live 70 miles from the closest dealer, so I don't want to fry the battery and have to make an extra trip there....then again, they'd have to tow me in ......HMMMM....

Old 07-04-2006, 11:56 AM
PjTheJester
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DSA
Just tested it and if you hold the button down a fifth time for exactly 17 seconds the bonnet pops open.

BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh I fell out of my chair laughing when I read this one! (wait, is it true?)
::running outside to my MINI:::

~PJ

Old 07-04-2006, 12:01 PM
PjTheJester
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NemoMini
DSA... you're joking, right?

"Just tested it and if you hold the button down a fifth time for exactly 17 seconds the bonnet pops open."

The bonnet has a manual latch, it's not electronic like the boot. You can't post stuff like that... dumb@sses like me will spend all night trying to make it happen!!!

(Just like the "You can unlock your doors through a cell phone" thread!!)
Okay Bryen, we're scaring me. You and me both had the same reaction to that post. I kept reading after I replied to the post and found yours here. Duh.... LOL!
~PJ

Old 07-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Xtro
Very good point ! It is under warrenty... BUT... If you read another thread on this board, you'll see that someone has just recieved a recall notice on this issue. They want to disable that function.

For me, I live 70 miles from the closest dealer, so I don't want to fry the battery and have to make an extra trip there....then again, they'd have to tow me in ......HMMMM....
Actually, if you read the recall notice, it doesn't say anything about the recall being to disable this feature. In the thread the question was asked IF it could be because of or to disable the feature.

Other posts in that thread say this:
Many seem to be assuming that the recall is for the convenience opening but I think it is premature without more information. The notice seems to be saying that the battery is draining while the car is sitting unused, not from the top being opened and closed. (Post 12)

There was a problem with a certain run of VIN's that had this problem. The relay stays on too long and that causes the battery drain. It's just a software programming and the dealership shouldn't turn off any features.(Post 13)

Quite a few of us have this feature and have not received recall notices.

It is a good idea to not use the feature repeatedly with starting the car to charge the battery. I use mine just about every day, along with driving it, and no problems.

I have hit the button a 5th time before, and while I didn't hold it down 17 seconds, I did notice that the doors locked again.