R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 convertible rear windows suck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 08:57 AM
ericscottf
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
convertible rear windows suck?

Hello!

shortly after i bought my MCC, my rattles developed. I fixed most of them myself. Ask my girlfriend - she was quite tired of me spending hours driving around hitting parts of the car, pressing on things, taping things to other things.

anyway, one of my major rattles left is the rear windows. I think the mechanism that holds them in place is loose - i tried explaining this to mini, they said nothing was wrong.

Recently, the windows started shuddering when going down. They'd go down an inch fast, pause, then another inch fast, then pause, etc. kinda like things are really loose, right? Well, i figure this is a good complaint to use to convince them to fix it, so i brought it in. They fixed my driver's side front window (which was squeaking badly on the way down).

they said there isn't a fix for the rear window shuddering, but they know about the problem and a fix is in the works. I also have those S shaped window scratches on the back - another thing there is supposed to be a fix in the works for.

does anyone know if mini is just saying "a fix is in the works" to shut people up, or are they actually trying to fix these problems? I'm worried the shuddering windows will turn into cracked or lost windows at some point!
Anyone else have this problem/fixes/experience here?
thanks!
eric

Old 07-21-2005, 09:12 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same "shuddering" problem. Bob Smith Mini said they will order new motors. That was 2 weeks ago. Need to give them a call.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:39 PM
ericscottf
4th Gear
My dealer said "a fix is in the works" and didn't replace anything. my rear windows are now VERY greasy. looks like they didn't really try...

should i pester them until they replace them? they said it would hopefully be a month before the fix was in.
no sense in getting it replaced if it will just happen again in a few months...

Old 07-22-2005, 04:17 PM
goaljnky
Banned
That is a reply I got regarding the scratches on the window. It made sence, so here I am waiting. I am actually going to the dealer tomorrow to have the rear window motors replaced. I will find out if they have a fix for the scratches yet.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:09 PM
ericscottf
4th Gear
so what's the verdict? any results?

Old 07-25-2005, 12:49 PM
goaljnky
Banned
The part they received was damaged. So now they ordered both rear windows regulators and I will be going back again this saturday.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:58 AM
ericscottf
4th Gear
So are your windows okay now?

Old 08-09-2005, 05:22 PM
classpro
2nd Gear
I can tell you what I'd do if this happened to me: I'd send the dealer a letter confirming that I complained about the problem and that they advised me that a fix is being developed. That way it's covered under the warranty whenever they get around to fixing it (even after the warranty period).

Old 08-09-2005, 06:29 PM
shooler
5th Gear
My MCC is in the shop having the top, rear windows, and a few other items replaced. I had the annoying rattle (passenger side rear window area) develop recently, and it seemed to be getting worse. My dealer was aware of the rattle, as they have seen it in other convertibles.
I absolutely love my car, although there seem to be a number of issues with the first run of convertibles. I will post the results when I get my car back (supposed to be tomorrow).

Old 08-10-2005, 06:59 PM
ericscottf
4th Gear
I hate to be annoying, but there are lots of "its getting fixed tomorrow"s in this thread. anyone have any results? I'm contemplating bringing my car into a different dealer to get any fixes you guys think worked from your dealers.

thanks