R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 MCSC Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:34 PM
rnathan1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody done the installation on the MCSC? There's a couple of helpful resources for the coupe ( here and elsewhere), but none, that I can find, for the cabrio. Is it the same accept for the motion detector? How tough is that to put in. I've read that the install is really not that bad on the coupe, I'm hoping I can do it myself on my cabrio. I haven't read anything about the warranty issues though. I'll ask the parts guys about that. BTW I got quoted the following prices at classic:
ALARM KIT $319.20
STALK FOR ALARM KIT $56.00

Old 01-27-2005, 02:26 PM
rnathan1
1st Gear
MCSC Alarm-Update

Update:
I just got some info on the installation of the alarm in the MCSC. I have a copy of the installation manual for the alarm. The part numbers for the kit are as follows:

65 73 0 393 977 -- This includes the alarm siren-tilt sensor, left, right and rear sensors and assorted stuff.
61 31 6 931 803 -- This includes the wiper stalk/status indicator.

The suggested installation time is 4.0 hours (the coupe's suggested installation time is 3-4 hours)
From what I can tell the parts are significantly different than the coupe with the motion detectors in the doors and behind the rear seat.
My dealership is holding fast to a 6-61/2 hour installation time (stating that comes from MiniUsa). I'm trying to get confirmation from Mini (via email) and other dealers as to the actual time. The problem is that nobody I've talked to has done the install and won't venture an estimate beyond the book time.
I have the manual in hard copy - I'll have it scanned to pdf soon - if anybody wans to take a look.
R

Old 01-27-2005, 03:30 PM
cafejane
3rd Gear
I would definitely be interested in seeing it. Thanks in advance,
Kris

Old 01-27-2005, 03:37 PM
gomezmgg
3rd Gear
I got one installed by the dealer just before Xmas. The good news is that it is perfectly integrated into the car and seems to be well designed and effective. The bad news of course is that is a bit $$. However my decision was based on the value of the car and the fact that I have been the victim of more than one car burglary (but not in my MINI). Both times (two different cars) the car was not alarmed and after paying the deductible on the repairs, I could have bought a decent system for each one. I think the value of the alarm will stay with the car anyway and given what is at stake, and the fact that there is only one system specifically designed for the car that’s what I did. And every time I lock it up and walk away I feel confident that I have provided a good deterrent and that I am reasonably well protected…………………..mgg............(MTR ON)

Attached Thumbnails MCSC Alarm-mtr-on-lft.-frt.jpg  
Old 01-27-2005, 05:06 PM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
I'm new to this forum, I ordered a 2005 MCS only 2 days ago and opted for the factory alarm. $407 parts and labor. That's it. I asked twice to be sure.

Now the wait is on, 8-12 weeks

Old 01-27-2005, 07:05 PM
cafejane
3rd Gear
The last two posts are about alarms for MCS's. The original post is about the alarm for the cabrio's. When I ordered my MCSc in Dec. the alarm was not even available yet and the dealer could not tell me how much it was going to cost. Apparently now it is available. Does anyone know what the cost is for the alarm and installation?

Kris

Old 01-27-2005, 07:32 PM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
oops, sorry about that

Old 01-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cafejane
The last two posts are about alarms for MCS's. The original post is about the alarm for the cabrio's. When I ordered my MCSc in Dec. the alarm was not even available yet and the dealer could not tell me how much it was going to cost. Apparently now it is available. Does anyone know what the cost is for the alarm and installation?

Kris
The dealer is quoting me about 550$ for the OEM system (installed) or 390$ for an aftermarket with all the same features. It appears he aftermarket system is unique to my dealer. I don't know the name brand of the aftermarket alarm, but I have a message into my MA with that question.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:12 AM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
Dude, that sucks. My dealer here in Miami charges $650+ I think for an MCS OE alarm. It took me all of 1/2 hour to install the sensors, siren and indicator stalk and I bought the kit from Classic Mini for just over $300. I did have to pay $50 to the dealer to program, tho.

Wonder what the differance is for the MCC? A 6 to 6.5 hour install? What do they have to do, remove the engine?

Luigi

Old 01-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
I was told 4 to 4.5 hrs of install time, but what the hell do I know.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:35 AM
rnathan1
1st Gear
Giving up on an Alarm

I'm giving up, for the time being, on the alarm. I've contacted every mini dealer w/1 300 miles (NY, CT, MA, NJ, & PA) and none of them have done the install. They all say minimum of 4.5 hours, the current book time, (my dealer still claims it's a 6 1/2 hour job). The cheapest I've been quoted is around $800. That's way steep for an audible only alarm. I'm hoping that after awhile the dealers will have installed enough of them to bring the price down.
BTW: We got our MCSC and it's great.
Rick
MCSC, Hot Orange, Black Top, HK, Cold Weather, LSD (gets me every time), MFS, Xenon (does everyone know these are not bi-xenons?)

Old 02-10-2005, 09:47 AM
rsbell
4th Gear
I negotiated the MCCS alarm system in as a feature when I purchased the car. Believe me I think I will be the last person EVER to get that deal. The technition who installed it said it was a REAL pain! It took my dealership longer than expected, they had to send me with a loaner car home.

Anyway...I am not sure all the differences b/t the coupe and cabrio alarm, I know the cabrio has a complicated motion sensor, but believe me it is still not good enough that you can leave anything in plain view. I have tested it many times and I can take things out of the convertable and be running off and the alarm is going to stop what?

My advice...get an alarm, but don't pay $1200, it is not worth it. Keep your glove box locked, and in case no one told you the back seats lock too so your boot is secure.

Nonetheless, topless motoring ROCKS!

Old 02-10-2005, 12:20 PM
rnathan1
1st Gear
The car already has a started cut off system standard (it's coded into the key) so nobody (except the guys at MIT) can drive it away, the alarm is just for the stuff in the car. Lock it in the boot, that's what I'm going to do.

Old 02-11-2005, 06:33 AM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Update

Originally Posted by rnathan1
I'm giving up, for the time being, on the alarm. I've contacted every mini dealer w/1 300 miles (NY, CT, MA, NJ, & PA) and none of them have done the install. They all say minimum of 4.5 hours, the current book time, (my dealer still claims it's a 6 1/2 hour job). The cheapest I've been quoted is around $800. That's way steep for an audible only alarm. I'm hoping that after awhile the dealers will have installed enough of them to bring the price down.
BTW: We got our MCSC and it's great.
Rick
MCSC, Hot Orange, Black Top, HK, Cold Weather, LSD (gets me every time), MFS, Xenon (does everyone know these are not bi-xenons?)
Had the aftermarket alarm installed at MOH. They charge 400$ for the alarm installed. I'm picking up picquick today so I'll let you all know how it works. I'll be posting pleanty of picks I'm sure.