R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 MCSC Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCSC Alarm

Has anyone ordered or received this option yet?

Old 01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
HowardPM
4th Gear
I should

have it sometime next week on my MCC.

Howard

Old 01-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HowardPM
have it sometime next week on my MCC.

Howard
What's the dealer charging you?

Old 01-06-2005, 08:35 PM
theworks
1st Gear
Can You Say, Gouge

l went to the dealer today and purchased the new mcsc alarm day and , wow 680..00 dollars later and thy still have to install it it's set up to be installing tomorrow and l was told that it will take 4.5 hr . So ,the grand total when all said and done ( $1220.00 ) well l guess it will be under the warranty right. l was told that if l have an out side sorce install it, that theres no warranty and that thy can't garranty when thy reprogram the computer that it will work and if it does work and something goes wrong later,and you have to find out what it could be, that you will be charged for a minimum 1.5 hrs and/or what ever time it takes to find out whats the problem is, because thy didn't install it. and you can't take it back to the out side sorce who did because the dealer still has to put it on the computer to reprogam it.So to all that has got the through that, like me, pay the extra money and let the dealed worry about it! ho ya, lf you have any aftermarket storeo stuff in the boot, well remove it before you take your car in because thy will not do the install with it in your car. KEEPON MINI`N...

Old 01-06-2005, 09:27 PM
HowardPM
4th Gear
??????????/

1200 for an alarm? Thats quite crazy, no way I'd pay that. I paid 599 for it when I bought my car. So that is the price Richmond will install it for me. Though I might be having them ship it to Towson since I've had better luck with them, I'll know by monday afternoon. You might wanna shop around. 1200 sounds crazy.

Howard

Old 01-06-2005, 09:59 PM
theworks
1st Gear
help

heres the cost thy gave me, the alarm is retail 499.00 and tax then the column adapter for the covertible is 120.00 and tax plus install witch thy said is to be about 4 to 4.5 hrs at 120.00 hr and any mis stuff . l went to three dealers here in so cal and was told around the same cost. how much did you pay and did you add in the cost for labor and the extra parts needed for the convertible ? the works
1200 for an alarm? Thats quite crazy, no way I'd pay that. I paid 599 for it when I bought my car. So that is the price Richmond will install it for me. Though I might be having them ship it to Towson since I've had better luck with them, I'll know by monday afternoon. You might wanna shop around. 1200 sounds crazy.

Howard

Old 01-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Yeah, see. This is what I'm talking about. I'm a fan of this car, but I feel like all this crap is just a constant screwing by the dealers. Here are the facts that I've got from Gabe's sight.
1)Parts for everything (alarm and steering column wand) is about 470$. Then installation is estimated at 4 hrs. Figure thats 80$/hr and were talking about 800$ for an alarm.
2)Most modern cars in the states come with alarms standard. Hell, some come with standard Nav systems.
3)The UK version of the car comes with the alarm as a factory install standard.

We are getting a royal fleecing....and it pisses me off something fierce.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:49 PM
theworks
1st Gear
WELL PUT!

Old 01-06-2005, 11:54 PM
theworks
1st Gear
Gouge,gouge,gouge, Skip To My Lu

Way does everything in ca cost so much? what , do thy think that everyone one on west coast is stinking rich, l know l'm not! so my house cost more, so what , so does everyone elses!!!

Old 01-07-2005, 05:38 AM
HowardPM
4th Gear
hmmm

I guess its possible the alarm could cost about 900 buck which is still insanely high, but since I pre-paid for it before I purchased my car and they didn't have a definate price, they can't raise it. So 600 bucks was probably an estimate back then, so maybe I actually came up on top this time.

Howard

Old 01-07-2005, 07:31 AM
GrumpyGills
1st Gear
Something's off

My alarm was $614.50 CDN installed.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:56 AM
ElonCooper
3rd Gear
The $600 figure sounds about right. I want to say I paid either $525 or $625 6 months ago, installed by dealer before delivery. $1,200, what?????????? They can charge what they want to, but that's just crazy talk. Remember, the car is prewired for the system, so it is not that difficult for the dealer to install these units.

Nice system though.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
There is a significant cost difference between the convertable and hardtop. What's the deal there? When I get to the dealer to pick up my car, I'll be sure to drop trough and turn around before I leave in case there is anymore cornholing they feel the need to deliver. Would be nice to get it all in one go. Maybe they'll buy me dinner afterwards.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Feeling better

Ok...I'm feeling calmer now. Just got off the phone with my MA and they offer a choice of alarms, both at fairly reasonable prices. For local costumers they offer the Mini system at 549$ which includes installation or an aftermarket system for 395$ installed. Both systems are comprable and have all the same features.
Out of town customers can only get the Mini version, but that's still a good price in comparison to what I've been reading here.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:27 AM
HowardPM
4th Gear
hmmm

Well I'm pretty sure the Convertible one is more expensive since it has motion sensors inside and the hardtop doesnt.

Howard

Old 01-07-2005, 11:37 AM
ElonCooper
3rd Gear
Aren't the motion sensors in the hardtop too? Mounted on the headliner area.

If you reach in the window, it sure is loud on mine. Maybe I misunderstood the type of sensor you are talking about.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:28 PM
MiniMe05
4th Gear
Well I'm pretty sure the Convertible one is more expensive since it has motion sensors inside and the hardtop doesnt.

Howard
I just pick up a system for our yet to arrive MCS hard top. They do indeed have a motion sensor. Same exact sensor that our BMW 5-series and 3-series use. Identical.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:00 PM
theworks
1st Gear
New Info

Well, l just got off the phone with my mini dealer and thy told me that there was a few mistakes from miniusa/bmw on the time to charge for the install and on the amount for the alarm. the total time that l was told that it would take is 1.5 hrs and that the price for addon part for the convertible was not 70 but 112.00 and the alarm is retailed at 399.99. that a big mistake to make but at least l haven't bought it yet. now l guess the cost is at 721.92 total including tax. man this blows well l guess it's better then paying 1200.00 that thy first told me.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
Originally Posted by theworks
Well, l just got off the phone with my mini dealer and thy told me that there was a few mistakes from miniusa/bmw on the time to charge for the install and on the amount for the alarm. the total time that l was told that it would take is 1.5 hrs and that the price for addon part for the convertible was not 70 but 112.00 and the alarm is retailed at 399.99. that a big mistake to make but at least l haven't bought it yet. now l guess the cost is at 721.92 total including tax. man this blows well l guess it's better then paying 1200.00 that thy first told me.
How about a cheaper aftermarket as an option like my dealer offers? That's what I plan to go with. Its about 150$ difference, though my dealer is asking about 170$ less than yours for the Mini alarm installed.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:26 PM
HowardPM
4th Gear
hmm

If you get a non-mini alarm though your going to be stuck with an extra thing on your keychain to disarm it. That stinks.

Howard

Old 01-07-2005, 07:47 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Originally Posted by theworks
heres the cost thy gave me, the alarm is retail 499.00 and tax then the column adapter for the covertible is 120.00 and tax plus install witch thy said is to be about 4 to 4.5 hrs at 120.00 hr and any mis stuff . l went to three dealers here in so cal and was told around the same cost. how much did you pay and did you add in the cost for labor and the extra parts needed for the convertible ? the works
I thought everything 03 and newer were prewired for the alarm and should not take more then an hour to install and activate.....

Old 01-07-2005, 11:17 PM
theworks
1st Gear
to answer

l have a convertible and from what thy say, it takes longer because of the part that thy have to put on the steering column as well as reposition the sensory and motion light is what l was told for added cost. the mini coupe is a different installation and less in cost.
Originally Posted by CARdiac
I thought everything 03 and newer were prewired for the alarm and should not take more then an hour to install and activate.....

Old 01-08-2005, 12:29 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get a non-mini alarm though your going to be stuck with an extra thing on your keychain to disarm it. That stinks.

Howard
Not entirely true. I believe someone has an audiovox alarm and it uses the existing key fob so it will depend on the aftermarket alarm the dealer is installing.

Old 01-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear

Howard
Definitely not true. My dealer told me the one they install allows you to use the same keyfob. I'll try and find out what brandname it is next week if anyone is interested.

Old 01-08-2005, 05:41 PM
gone_motoring
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sticky Wicket
Ok...I'm feeling calmer now. Just got off the phone with my MA and they offer a choice of alarms, both at fairly reasonable prices. For local costumers they offer the Mini system at 549$ which includes installation or an aftermarket system for 395$ installed. Both systems are comprable and have all the same features.
Out of town customers can only get the Mini version, but that's still a good price in comparison to what I've been reading here.
That seems more in line to what I remember, maybe around $400 but I don't know for sure as it wasn't line item listed on my final agreement and I also had the Works Kit and chrome mirror caps installed at the same time. btw, I opted for the option of not having the motion detector installed (might have been $150 more?) although it might have been good to have it. The "hump" is there on the headliner, I wonder if I can buy one and install it myself? (never looked under the cover to see what's there)

Quick Reply: R52 MCSC Alarm