R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 R52 to 2010 JCW?

Old 04-05-2017, 04:36 AM
Coreyco
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R52 to 2010 JCW?

I own a 2005 S manual with 33k miles. Would love to get the extra punch available from JCW, and have the opportunity to buy a 2010 JCW manual convertible with 18k miles. Will not be able to get a full inspection prior to purchase. My questions with those who have experience in both:
1,. Will I notice an appeciqble performance/acceleration benefit?
2. Will I regret the dreaded N14 engine?
3. Auction car, so I can start, and inspect, but not drive. Same way I brought my 'o5, Price is right, so I'm willing to put in a few dollars if necessary.
4. the build list shows "sport suspension". Does this mean the car will ride even stiffer than a stock JCW, which I hear is already close to unbearable?
My current mini is generally problem free, and I only drive about 2,000 miles annually,
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Coreyco; 04-05-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:55 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Buying any used car is like rolling dice. If you turn your own wrenches you can have one major pocket rocket for around $2,000 and you will have what many now agree is the best of the MINI relative to handling and look. I would not buy a N14 unless I knew the maintenance records and got it at a very good price.

My JCW has the sport suspension, it is about 1/2" lower, and I do not have any issues with the ride. I have a sports car, not a Cadillac.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:58 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I have to say, the N14 engine is weak! I don't like them, but many people buy them. Just be ware, that owning one, usually requires a big wallet, or owner mechanic.
With that said, they can be a very fun car! The sport suspension makes them great canyon carver.
Just understand: Buyer be ware! Make sure it does not have oil in the radiator, or mayonnaise in the oil pan!
Best of luck and let us know how you do with it.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
For a lot less you can add a 22MM adjustable RSB, KONI FSD struts, a cold air intake and a 15% SC pulley. That way you don't have to worry about the N engine and still have the bullet proof W11 lump and gear box reliability.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:52 PM
Coreyco
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
I have to say, the N14 engine is weak! I don't like them, but many people buy them. Just be ware, that owning one, usually requires a big wallet, or owner mechanic.
With that said, they can be a very fun car! The sport suspension makes them great canyon carver.
Just understand: Buyer be ware! Make sure it does not have oil in the radiator, or mayonnaise in the oil pan!
Best of luck and let us know how you do with it.
Wayne - Thank-you for your candid overview. Being that I lack mechanical skills, it appears that I should avoid the N14, and concentrate on a 2013 or newer convertible. I'm wondering if you have test driven the 2017, and if the additional 20 hp makes a perceptible difference. If so, I can wait till the end of the year, and see if I can pick up a used '17, or even take the plunge for a new one.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Coreyco
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
For a lot less you can add a 22MM adjustable RSB, KONI FSD struts, a cold air intake and a 15% SC pulley. That way you don't have to worry about the N engine and still have the bullet proof W11 lump and gear box reliability.
Thanks for your input, Fly'n Brick.
Sounds like your upgrades would make my S a much more capable and more fun performer.
The problem with me is, I have always been a "keep it stock" kind of guy. As a result, I will search for a 2013 stock or newer JCW convertible.
If I had your auto know how and knowledge, I would probably come to a different conclusion.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:37 AM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by Coreyco
Wayne - Thank-you for your candid overview. Being that I lack mechanical skills, it appears that I should avoid the N14, and concentrate on a 2013 or newer convertible. I'm wondering if you have test driven the 2017, and if the additional 20 hp makes a perceptible difference. If so, I can wait till the end of the year, and see if I can pick up a used '17, or even take the plunge for a new one.
I am sorry, I have not driven one. I am a w11 R53 kinda guy, that likes the gen ones. I strive to keep them alive! My 06 Mini S JCW was always my goal for the perfect Mini.

The one in the foreground

I do have many others to choose from though! Second is my 05 Mini S in British Racing Green ( I am selling her, but she will always be one of my faves)

Old 04-16-2017, 07:34 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
You already have what is as close as you can get to a real Mini Cooper in the Gen1 MINI. It is almost as if the MINI does not have "generations" but rather "enlargements" as the 2 is bigger than the 1 and the 3 is bigger than the 2. I don't even want to think how big the 4 will be.

33k is a very nice low mileage car. The only thing you have going against you is time relative to rubber wearing out. Find a good Mini Shop and have them do some engine and suspension mods. I have my JCW pushing 150 BHP/Liter without a header and you can get right there as well. You take your 170 BHP S and enhance it to about 230-240 BHP (that is very doable without head work) and you will never have to consider the extra 20 horsepower that the current Baby Huey MINIs are pushing.

Last edited by Whine not Walnuts; 04-16-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:34 PM
Coreyco
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
You already have what is as close as you can get to a real Mini Cooper in the Gen1 MINI. It is almost as if the MINI does not have "generations" but rather "enlargements" as the 2 is bigger than the 1 and the 3 is bigger than the 2. I don't even want to think how big the 4 will be.

33k is a very nice low mileage car. The only thing you have going against you is time relative to rubber wearing out. Find a good Mini Shop and have them do some engine and suspension mods. I have my JCW pushing 150 BHP/Liter without a header and you can get right there as well. You take your 170 BHP S and enhance it to about 230-240 BHP (that is very doable without head work) and you will never have to consider the extra 20 horsepower that the current Baby Huey MINIs are pushing.
Thanks for the great input and advise, R53. You are right about the Baby Huey reference. One of the things I most appreciate is the size of my R52. Amazes me that mfg. felt the need to increase length by over 10" in the over the years. They Maxi'd the Mini.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:42 PM
Coreyco
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
I am sorry, I have not driven one. I am a w11 R53 kinda guy, that likes the gen ones. I strive to keep them alive! My 06 Mini S JCW was always my goal for the perfect Mini.

The one in the foreground

I do have many others to choose from though! Second is my 05 Mini S in British Racing Green ( I am selling her, but she will always be one of my faves)
Hello Wayne. What a great stable of Mini's you have!

What amazes me, is that the current JCW generation, has not done much to the performance numbers. Reviews show my stock '05 R52 having a 0-60 time of around 6.5 seconds. Current reviews of the JCW vert have varied times, but none under 6 seconds. This is supposedly the performance model, with regular hp and torque upgrades since my non JCW was produced 12 years ago. So, where's the beef?

Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 PM
ItsmeWayne
I think the thing that bugs me the most, is that they are growing and growing. I see the need for a larger one for families, but the mainstay should be kept in a tight package! I like the go-cart feel the gen 1s have. Even the early Clubman feels bulky to drive!

Search this Thread