R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Thinking about purchasing a 2006 convertible with 37K mi. Any words of wisdom??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 PM
martisol
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about purchasing a 2006 convertible with 37K mi. Any words of wisdom??

Hello,

Tomorrow my husband and I will be going to look at a 2006 convertible with 37K miles. We are new to Minis and we were wondering if you could please share with us what to look for.

The photos posted by the dealer on-line show it to be in good shape. It is a one owner vehicle and the asking price is 13,995. It is not an S.

Thank you so much!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the Kelly Bluebook and other references for prices. Search nationwide on Autotrader as well. That should give you a good idea of whether the price is decent or not.

About the only troubles with the 1st gen convertibles, other than the stuff that would apply to any Mini, are the tendency for the top to develop wear spots that turn into holes. These occur where the top just above the back of the driver/passenger windows closes and rest against the back corners of the top down low near the seams just above the tail lights. Put the top down not quite all the way and walk to the back to look there and you'll see where the two areas meet and rub. If the top doesn't have any holes in it and is only mildly worn, then it's likely OK and future wear can be greatly slowed by simply putting a folded over piece of black velvet, roughly 6" square, between the two surfaces just before the top completely folds. Also make sure the top works smoothly going down and up. Run it several times.

Frankly, I'd go for at least an S model. And if you can find a JCW convertible, you've got more fun than a barrel of monkeys and a very rare car indeed.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 PM
martinb
6th Gear
I just did a search on autotrader.com and found a number of '06 JCW convertibles in the 16,000 to 18,000 range. That makes the 14,000 that the one your considering seem too high. Shop around. There's plenty out there. I live in northern California and when I bought mine, I took a chance and flew down to southern California with a cashier's check in hand. 'Turned out to be a beautiful car that had been extremely well taken care of and I drove it home up the coast back home.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 312 Posts
The '06, S or justa, is about the best MINI you can find. The 'lump' engine and Getrag gear box are near bullet proof. Our top hardly ever goes up except when the co-pilot whine is louder than the SC whine. Keep the canvas clean and you shouldn't have any problems. Dust and grit are what cut the fabric. RaggTopp is about the best cleaner for that and I use a shopvac with upholstery brush for in between baths. You also want to find a wind deflector for it too. Check on ebay and make sure you are looking at one for the R52. The R57 model won't work right.

Topless motoring is motoring at it's best!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:39 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Yep. The top is down on mine year round unless it's atually raining. Even if it's below freezing.

My copilot will complain from time to time as well, but to her credit, when we took a three week road trip up to Oregon, the top was down almost 100% of the time.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 AM
dabeamer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my 06 S last fall with 37k on it. Changed oil twice and have put 10k on it in the year. I did buy a set of 16" wheels with snow tires, it is my year-round car. My front control arm bushings are loose, so it is going in next week for replacements. My oil pan gasket is leaking a bit, will deal with that next spring. No other issues. Top is in great shape, I'll be putting protectant on it this weekend before it gets too cold.

So, my experience has been great! Love the car, every time I get in it I say "glad I bought it".

Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You didn't say which transmission. If it is the auto/CVT then don't buy it. Way too many issues with that. The auto 6spd in the S models is not much better either, but changing the fluid often and a new valve body down the road will keep it going.
Best to go with a manual, if you don't know how then learn, or buy a different car.

Look carefully for oil leaks from the oil pan, crank seal, valve cover and passenger side engine mount. All common and can be pricey to fix. As said above, make sure the top works perfectly.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:16 AM
martinb
6th Gear
on the 6 speed Getrag! It is so much fun shifting through the gears. And the shift mechanism is so sweet and smooth. Combine that with true LSD and all the JCW options and it's heaven.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 AM
martinb
6th Gear
'Was just thinking about the almost complete domination of the US car market with automatics. What's happened with American drivers?? Used to be sporty car types lusted over manual transmissions. Driving a manual is more visceral and helps make you more a part of the driving experience. IMHO, automatic transmissions take a lot of the involvement and fun out of driving. 'Might as well be sitting in front of your computer with a driving game.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by martinb
'Was just thinking about the almost complete domination of the US car market with automatics. What's happened with American drivers?? Used to be sporty car types lusted over manual transmissions. Driving a manual is more visceral and helps make you more a part of the driving experience. IMHO, automatic transmissions take a lot of the involvement and fun out of driving. 'Might as well be sitting in front of your computer with a driving game.
Agreed, but some people (read my wife) refuse to learn standard. Also most young people are learning on autos and have no idea how to drive std. I am currently teaching my 25 year old nephew on std. so he can drive his GF's car. Now she is a keeper!