R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 MINI Convertible News: How long can you last?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 11:20 AM
keddell
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More smart MINI marketing...

From BusinessWeek Online

BMW's Mini Just Keeps Getting Mightier
Wednesday March 31, 8:28 am ET

When BMW dealers start selling the new Mini convertible in Europe and the U.S. this summer, the cars will be delivered to customers with the top down and a seal that is broken when the roof is raised for the first time. Buyers will be asked to sign a mock contract committing them to keeping the roof down as long as they can -- to stay true to the Mini convertible's open-minded spirit. "It will spark contests to see how long owners can go before breaking the seal," says Jack Pitney, vice-president of Mini USA.

That's pure Mini marketing cheek. And it works. The two-year-old remake of the 1959 British classic is becoming one of the most successful model overhauls in automotive history. Sales of 176,000 cars last year were up 22.4% from 2002, and the Mini factory in Oxford, England, is running full tilt. Although BMW doesn't break out the Mini's earnings, Deutsche Bank estimates that the unit produced a pretax profit of $61.5 million last year, on revenues of $3.4 billion. That is an impressive result when compared with ongoing losses at Mercedes-Benz (NYSE:DCX - News) from its compact A-class and the supersmall Smart. "It's much more profitable than we expected," says Chief Financial Officer Stefan Krause.

Mini sales are all the more impressive given the depressed car markets in Europe and the U.S. and an advertising and marketing budget that was truly mini. BMW spent a mere $13 million on the Mini's U.S. launch, according to TNS Media Intelligence/CMR in New York. Unwilling to spend enough to buy TV spots, BMW resorted to event-focused "guerrilla" tactics, unconventional stunts, and irreverent humor to spark an infectious buzz. One of the first Mini sightings in the U.S. was of a model strapped to the roof of a sport-utility vehicle with a sign that read: "What are you doing for fun this weekend?" The Mini also appeared seated in football stadiums like a fan watching the game. When producers used it in the 2003 remake of the movie The Italian Job, the Mini vaulted to quintessential cool. "I wasn't going home without one," says John Kreppel, a 50-year-old Mini owner from Delmar, Md. "I don't think I'll ever get rid of this car."

Orders for the convertible already total 3,000 in Britain alone, and market researchers expect global sales to reach 25,000 to 30,000 this year. The convertible Mini is part of BMW's plan to transform the Mini from model to brand, a full lineup that gives the Mini idea staying power. Though BMW is mum, many expect a Mini wagon to hit the market around 2006, followed by a roadster. New engines are in the works, too. "The biggest challenge is the successor generation, when they have to come up with a full redesign," says Philipp Rosengarten, senior auto analyst at Global Insight in Frankfurt. "That's the critical moment."

Part of the Mini's success is its new look. Its cute snout and bulldog-like stance offer an appealing contrast to boxy SUVs. While it retains a few style cues from the original -- a fuel-efficient auto that sold for less than $800 in 1959 -- it has been recast as a premium car, priced at $17,000 to $25,000. The more powerful Mini Cooper and Cooper S models account for 75% of sales.

GOING UPMARKET. Being fashionable, of course, carries a risk. Retro remakes such as the Volkswagen (VLKAY.) Beetle or Ford (NYSE:F - News) Thunderbird enjoyed an initial spike in sales only to suffer a rapid decline. But market researchers say the Mini will fare better because it has been taken upmarket and packed with cutting-edge technology. BMW has nurtured Mini mania by keeping supply running just short of demand. Its biggest selling point may be its individualist appeal. More than half of buyers custom-order their Minis and wait three months for delivery. This surprised even BMW, which receives custom orders for 30% of BMWs sold in the U.S.

BMW's conundrum now is how to squeeze more volume from its Oxford plant to accommodate sales of the convertible. It may eventually outsource some production. "It's a difficult challenge," says BMW Chief Executive Helmut Panke. Grappling with higher-than-expected sales is a problem Panke's rivals would love to face.

Old 05-24-2004, 08:25 AM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
If they add a warrany for water drenched interiors and sun-dried tomato looking leather, I leave the top down all the time.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Storm180
3rd Gear
I'm afraid I wouldn't last long in that contest at all. Parking a car in Pittsburgh with the top down is a sure-fire way to not have the car when you come back to it.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:27 AM
yellocooper
3rd Gear
It appears a convertible owner with a garage who drives his mini
on special occasions could go years without putting the top up :smile:

Personally, I like the convertible, but would never buy one.
The only convertible I would ever purchase would be a Mercedes.
I'm in love with the SLK HARDTOP which folds into the trunk area.

I"m not impressed with the CABRIO style top that lays on the back.
Too volkswagonish for my taste

However, if Mini builds a two-seat roadster.I'll take two please

Old 05-24-2004, 09:37 AM
acetonic
4th Gear
If i bought it in the Summer the top would be up and the AC on before I left the dealership. Probably why I don't want a convertable!

Old 05-24-2004, 09:52 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
If you talk to any dedicated cabrio owners you'd find that many of them drive with the top down all the time and rarely put it up unless it is really raining. For short term parking they leave the top down but valuables put away.

Go for a drive with the top down along the coast!

Old 05-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In a related story:

Starting with the 2005 model year arriving later this summer, all new MINI's will be delivered to customers with a seal on the windshield that is broken when the MINI suffers its first stress fractured windshield. Buyers will be asked to sign a mock contract committing them to not drive their MINI as long as they can. "It will spark contests to see how long owners can go before their windshield breaks. It will also save BMW/MINI countless thousands of dollars in warranty replacements of defective windshields," says Jack Pitney, vice-president of Mini USA.