R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 New Easy-Up circuit for Cabrios!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure...

Originally Posted by drdave
There was NO wiring included in my order, only the small control board.

Dr Obnxs, can you please send me the parts I need that weren't shipped to me?
Be happy to.

Matt

Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
drdave
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Be happy to.

Matt
Address sent via PM.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:45 PM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Thought it was just me.. Mine worked great when I first installed it. ( winter time didn't use it for awhile afterwards ) Then got to where it opens the sunroof fine. 2 more taps it will go about half way, then hold the button down and it opens the rest of the way. Goes up fine as well. I too first thought it was my shelf, it bugged the crap out of me so I taped the "sensor button" down and still does the same thing..

Old 04-11-2010, 01:09 PM
winnie mini
1st Gear
Still having problems with mine too - I can't find a particular pattern. For example, backed out of the garage yesterday, double tap on the top down button, and down she went, just like expected. Drove across town, pulled into parking lot and double tap top up - everything closed up fine.

Came out of the store 20 minutes later, and everything I tried would not get the top down - double tap opened to sunroof position, no combination of top down commands would make it open past sunroof.

Single tap to close did nothing, double tap closed it from sunroof position eventually.

Single tap on open button caused the top mechanism to run, but just momentarily, not even enough to see the top move, seemed to just take the slack out of the mechanism.

Went back and messed with the safety switch, made no difference.

Drove home with the top at sunroof position, tried to get top open several times along the way home (stopped at traffic lights, pulled into parking lot), the top finally opened about 4 blocks from home.

It's getting to be top down season here in Denver, need to get this working or it's going to have to come out!

Old 04-11-2010, 05:08 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine went haywire yesterday, also. Got the sunroof open, then couldn't get it to do ANYTHING. Ended up unplugging it and going back to manual mode - then all was well... No time to troubleshoot right now.

Last edited by BlimeyCabrio; 04-12-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Hi guys...

the problem seems to be tempurature dependant, so that's why it all seems to be happening at once. Guenter is back from his vacation, we've identified an action path, and will be making some testing circuits to prove concept. Once that is closed with confidence, we'll make a big run of the circuits. They will go in between the existing circuit and the existing harness, if all goes to plan.

So, if you have this issue, just unplug the unit. You'll see an announcement here or an e-mail letting you all know when the fix is done.

Matt

Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds good thanks,

Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 AM
zeusboy
2nd Gear
Thanks for the response, Dr O.

I can't unplug it since it's behind the button that was a PITA to get off in the first place and I didn't personally install it.

I definitely agree that it is temperature related. Works like a charm in the morning fresh from the garage. After that...nope.

I look forward to hearing about a fix soon.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Difficult panel removal

Less than one in ten cars have panels that are hard to remove. What is happening is that the spring clip that holds the panel in isn't working as it should. It makes removing the panel a real pain in the but! One car I worked on had the issue at AMVIV, I got it off eventually, and then removed the offending clip from the panel, and bent it back into shape with some needle nosed pliers.

It's a pain for sure, and is because the metal clip design is a bit questionable.

Matt

Old 04-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Less than one in ten cars have panels that are hard to remove. What is happening is that the spring clip that holds the panel in isn't working as it should. It makes removing the panel a real pain in the but! One car I worked on had the issue at AMVIV, I got it off eventually, and then removed the offending clip from the panel, and bent it back into shape with some needle nosed pliers.

It's a pain for sure, and is because the metal clip design is a bit questionable.

Matt
Care to enlighten us on how the clip needs to be shaped? Mine is so difficult to remove that it's easier to remove the clips from the panel in order to remove the panel than to try to remove the panel with the clips still in place. Re-installing the panel was a royal PIA.

BTW I found this trick out when I disconnected my circuit because it started acting up.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:23 AM
zeusboy
2nd Gear
Well, then I have one of the "less than 1 in 10", then.

Way had a heck of a time removing that metal clip...was afraid he was gonna break it.

Mine is an '05 S cabrio, delivered in Dec. '04. I was one of the first around here.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Update

Hi all, the first prototype circuit to address the issue is on the way to me from Germany. We'll be testing it shortly, and I'll keep all posted.

For the clips, there is more than one on the module. I think there are two or 4, I can't remember. If you look at the ones that aren't a total biatch, you can just reshape to that. I tried REALOEM, but couldn't find even the light housing to see if the clip was available separatly!

Matt

Old 04-15-2010, 01:54 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
There are only two clips. The RealOEM listing for the panel is here, and the clips are not available separately.

Here's an alternate method (the instructions are for changing light bulbs), although it might not work any better if the clips are stuck.
Originally Posted by PuppetMaster2u
No. I would NOT pop it from closer to the windshield - there are 4 clips - 2 on the windshield side I think were fixed, and 2 on the trunk side were wedged shaped (see picture).

Regardless - this is how I did it...took about 5 minutes or less.

1. Grab the rear view mirror by the neck, and twist counter-clockwise - it'll move about a third of the way around, and then come off.
  2. Take a small flat head screw driver and gently pry off the little venty thiny (lol) to give yourself access to the dome light assembly. Pry from the edge of it - not the grill/groove portion of it.
  3. Reach in the small opening and feel around. Do you see in the picture how the dome light assembly is about an inch tall and rectangular? You'll feel that inside. With your hand/fingers inside the opening you just made, find the side of the dome light assembly & gently push down. You'll see it move/give just a little - continue this firm push downward on the dome light assembly, and it will pop down as pictured.
  4. Twist out the bulb, and replace. (test it before you put everything back together)
When you put the dome light assembly back in, you'll need to hinge it on the windshield side and push up on the trunk side (see the fixed clips I was telling you about-they're on the opposite side that you can't see in the picture).
And the little venty thingy I mention in step 2 only fits in 1 way as well..
Finally, push the rear view mirror back in place & yer done,

Hope this helps - Let me know. I just ordered my bulbs today! (5) 194 5 LED wedge style for my dome, footwells and doors.
If the roof and window switches can be easily pried out (haven't tried it myself; need to check when I get home), the holes will give you some access to manipulate the clips if they are stuck.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:35 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I confirmed the switches pry out easily with a credit card. With a switch pulled out, you can reach into the opening and push the panel down. If the clip is stuck, it is accessible from the opening and you can attempt to do something about it.

Here you can see the metal clip inside, indicated by the arrow:

Edit: BTW, it's much easier to work in that area if you first roll the sunroof back (or put the roof down)

Last edited by rkw; 04-16-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just installed mine, my problem is a bit different. Done in garage ambient 65 degrees. Single push for window up works perfect and with a tap like one would expect, just like the duration of the tap for the factory all down function.

Rarely can I get the top to go up or down. Takes a very very very quick jab, done 5-10 times and that only works 50% of the time. Each quick jab moves the roof slightly, then sometimes it will suddenly go thorugh the cycle. Tried all different lengths of press and only a super fast jab will occasionally trigger the auto up or down. It's such a quick press I really have to more like slap the surface of the switch vs press it to be quick enough.

Feb 05 build...

Old 04-21-2010, 02:00 PM
tcscb1963
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mmatarella
Just installed mine, my problem is a bit different. Done in garage ambient 65 degrees. Single push for window up works perfect and with a tap like one would expect, just like the duration of the tap for the factory all down function.

Rarely can I get the top to go up or down. Takes a very very very quick jab, done 5-10 times and that only works 50% of the time. Each quick jab moves the roof slightly, then sometimes it will suddenly go thorugh the cycle. Tried all different lengths of press and only a super fast jab will occasionally trigger the auto up or down. It's such a quick press I really have to more like slap the surface of the switch vs press it to be quick enough.

Feb 05 build...
I have found that if you have my glove box open, the top does not go down automatically, does anyone notice this?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Current status...

Hi all, the prototype circuit for testing is done, but got caught up in the airport shutdown in Europe. It will be here shortly for testing.

Matt

Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 AM
zeusboy
2nd Gear
Any word on a fix for this yet?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 PM
101dals
2nd Gear
Matt, how's the progress on a fix? The Top Commander is going to get court marshalled if keeps going AWOL....

Old 05-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Jon L
1st Gear
Mine is not AWL, just schitzophrenic. I'm never sure whether its going to go through the entire travel sequence or not.

Jon
'06 MINI-S Cab

Old 05-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Guenter is working with a customer in Europe,

and I JUST got my prototype circuits today. They were sent to me next day air the day that the European air space was closed down. So much for next day air. Anyway, we have the new board layout done, and are just waiting to confirm that the fix is a fix, then we build boards.

Sorry this is taking so long....

And it's still wierd. While a lot have had problems, it's only about 20% of the cars....

Matt

Old 05-13-2010, 05:10 AM
zeusboy
2nd Gear
I would like to hear from anybody who has never had a problem with this.

What year/build date is your MINI? Maybe that would help narrow down the problem.

I've definitely come to the conclusion that this is somehow temperature related. With the exception of this second circuit never working in the sunroof mode (the previous one did), it always works (top down) after being stored in the cool garage out of the sun. Top up usually always works, regardless, as well as windows up and down. But, the temperature definitely plays a factor in the hang-ups with it opening.

How is the testing of the new boards coming along?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
There is a temp related problem

but it's also more than that. We did deploy a fix for the temp issues but testing in Europe showed that it was an incomplete solution (Which sucked, cause it was a firmware only issue....)

I've also learned that for those with problems, about half have let FES know (figured this out by talking to people at AMVIV), but to let you all know, we're only seeing about 1 in 5 that have issues! While this rate is way, way too high, it's far from 100%.

One user commented that things were better, but not perfect, if the window harness was disconnected. Anyone else try this and notice a difference? This would indicate that there was a ground loop between two circuits. (the switches talk to different parts of the car). As best we can tell, this has to do not with the operation of the circuit (it does what we're telling it to do, other than the temp related issue), but how the circuit/top control module works. Just so you all know, the technology in the circuit is the exact same used in over 2000 Ian Cull circuits, the MCAW circuit, and the Auto Sport+ circuit. The difference now is that it's talking to the top control module, not the body control module or junction box.

I have one more prototype circuit if someone wants to test it and give me feedback. Thing is, it only is a fix for the top control, and has no window support at all, so is only for testing. If you'd like to help close this issue, let me know. But please, only contact me if you have regular problems, not intermittant. I'll send out an old style circuit with the temp issue fixed in firmware, and the prototype as well.

Also, based on what we've learned, we're looking at a replacement circuit, not an in-line fix, but whatever it takes to solve the problem we'll do it. The last open issue is the potential ground loop issue from the window control. If that is a real problem, then we have to send out a different wiring harness with the new ciruit as well. (It would interface to the window switch ground in a way that is electrically isolated from the top control switch ground).

We have both designs paradigms finished, and will commit to building them as soon as we really nail down the root cause. Last thing I want to do is find out the fix isn't a total fix. That would suck for us all.

Matt

Also, if you want to help with the testing, e-mail me at mattr@fes-auto.com

Last edited by Dr Obnxs; 05-13-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:30 AM
joeysun
1st Gear
It is good to hear that top up always works, and there is mainly an issue with the top down. I was going to take my Easy-Up circuit board out because I did not want to park on a strange street and not be able to close the top.

Does any user have a combination of 'moves' to get the top open aside from waiting for a cooler morning? I once finally got my top opened after parking on the street in the sun when I started the process with the sunroof halfway opened. I have not had a opportunity to try that again.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I've got a question for those with issues..

the circuit shouldn't do anything at all if you run the buttons manually, like if the circuit wasn't there. That is if you hold the button 6 sec to open the sunroof, pause then hold the button for 20 sec to open the top. And closing the top by holding the button for 20 sec or so. Are there those that have the top not working when running the buttons manually with the circuit installed?

Matt

Quick Reply: R52 New Easy-Up circuit for Cabrios!