R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 New Easy-Up circuit for Cabrios!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish I had good photos...

but I don't what I've got is in the current document (I've put an early form of the doc up here on the web site... It's not complete yet....)

Anyway, you pop out a panel with something like a credit card, push out the switches, disconnect the switch harnesses, plug in the Top Commander harnesses, plut the car harnesses back in, and put it all back in place. No tools (other than the credit card) required!

Matt

Old 10-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Not4no1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for that information. It has convinced me to buy one...now I have to convince my other half that I need it

Old 10-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Don't take too long!

We've got a special offer going on prior to production release, and that's getting closer. Check out the details at the bottom of the post here.

Matt

Old 10-30-2009, 09:29 AM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just go read the thread about people getting their hand crunched by the closing sunroof (which has no pinch protection). The Easy-up then becomes a safety feature because you can get your hand well out of the way before the sunroof closes. We'll ignore the part where the whole roof closes with little intervention and oversight. Just kidding with all of this, of course.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:52 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by haygood
Just go read the thread about people getting their hand crunched by the closing sunroof (which has no pinch protection). The Easy-up then becomes a safety feature because you can get your hand well out of the way before the sunroof closes. We'll ignore the part where the whole roof closes with little intervention and oversight.
Well, this circuit is to open (not close) the roof. The thread is actually mistitled and should be "New Easy-Down circuit for Cabrios".

Old 10-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Well, ya caught us there!

So we changed the name of the product to the Top Commander. It does both up and down, and while Easy-Up sounded good, it really was a misnomer!

Matt

Old 10-30-2009, 05:17 PM
joshamman
4th Gear
In production yet? I cant tell you how many times I've wished to be able to push the up/down button and let it do its own job.
Nice work, I'd like one

Old 10-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Zustin
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay

Now I feel much better.
I guess I will find a friend w/ paypal acct.
Thanks Dr.!!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:24 PM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So only those who have pre-ordered will be in the exclusive club of "easy-up" owners, while the rest of you just get a "Top Commander". Yes, I'm kidding again. I like the new name better, too. Just bumping a good idea.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Here's where we are....

the main board is done (it's actually the same board as the Auto Sportplus with different programming) and the daughterboards are on the way. They plug into the switches and the harness plugs into them. The guys in Europe were pretty insistant that there be a minimum of Posi-Tap connectors (there is only one). when those boards show up, I have to put a notch in them (so they'll fit the switch housing) then we solder them up and start shipping!

Matt

Oh yeah, we take better pictures and update the documentation too!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:21 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've just stumbled onto this thread, although I ordered my circuit a while ago...

One Q that occurs to me is compatibility with GBMINI's Auto-up window circuit: I have one installed now for my windows and for the DSC "Track Mode"... Will the Top Commander coexist peacefully with my existing circuit, or will I have to lose my individual window auto-up control and track mode by removing the GBMINI circuit?

Very happy to see the progress with this project. Hope to see a lot of purchases so you will be motivated to implement the remote version!

Best Regards,

_Dave_

Old 11-05-2009, 03:52 PM
jonnyyellow
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by am0eba
I've just stumbled onto this thread, although I ordered my circuit a while ago...

One Q that occurs to me is compatibility with GBMINI's Auto-up window circuit: I have one installed now for my windows and for the DSC "Track Mode"... Will the Top Commander coexist peacefully with my existing circuit, or will I have to lose my individual window auto-up control and track mode by removing the GBMINI circuit?

Very happy to see the progress with this project. Hope to see a lot of purchases so you will be motivated to implement the remote version!

Best Regards,

_Dave_

I would assume that both work in conjunction because the top commander is connected by the controls up top. and GBMINI circuit is connected by the bottom switched. Lets see though...

Old 11-05-2009, 06:18 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Correct, there's no connection between my original circuit, and the new one that FES-AUTO are creating - however, the car will likely prevent you closing the door windows while operating the top (you can try that today if you have enough fingers!)

Old 11-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Thanks Ian...

for all those who don't know how these things work, they are in parallel with the buttons. The electronically mimic what you do with your fingers. The car can't tell the difference between what you do manually, and what these circuits do.

While modern car electronics are a bit of a black box to most, these things just act like automatic buttons. And another nice thing, is they can't be detected by factory diagnostic tools! This is cool because to the dealer, it's like they aren't even there.

Matt

Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 AM
am0eba
4th Gear
Thanks for the responses, guys! Ian's auto-up circuit was my first mod, and I've been VERY happy with for all these years. I'm really looking forward to having the Top Commander up and running as well.

Kudos!

_Dave_

PS: Hope the remote version gets developed soon!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I'll be sending them out Monday!

You'll start seeing them next week.

Matt

Old 11-20-2009, 05:45 PM
bradclark
2nd Gear
Sweet!

Old 11-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Berthil
2nd Gear
I just installed it. Works well

Attached Thumbnails New Easy-Up circuit for Cabrios!-3.jpg   New Easy-Up circuit for Cabrios!-4.jpg  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Glad to hear it!

I'm putting 20+ boxes in the mail RIGHT NOW!

Matt

Old 11-25-2009, 01:27 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Got my Top Commander circuit in the mail today! Took me about half an hour to install (Took pics, and used a multimeter to identify the power cable in the OEM harness); WORKS GREAT!

I posted some pics here.

Here's the FES website info for it.

Thanks Doc! Now how 'bout that REMOTE version?!

_Dave_

Old 11-25-2009, 04:12 PM
winnie mini
1st Gear
Got mine today too - also less than 30 minutes to install, mostly trying to decide if "the far right pin on the light box" was the purple wire on my 2005 cabrio. Checked the wiring diagrams in Bentley, and sure enough, it was!

The only odd thing - when I tested the circuit with all the parts hanging, the double tap for the top didn't work consistently. I plugged the switches back into their receptacles, and everything works great. Must have been just enough strain on the connections on the daughter boards to create intermittent contact?

This is so cool! Thanks

Old 11-25-2009, 05:03 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Received.... installed.... works!

Old 11-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
So cool!

glad they're showing up and working well! If you folks find any problems in the install docs or places where it could be more clear, please e-mail me at mattr@fes-auto.com. Guenter wrote it and his english is a bit shakey....

Next is the R57 version... We've got the logic worked out, I think. But bummer for the R57 people, there's no window switch up there so it's just the top functions.

Also, we're selling rkw's (Richard Woo) anti-reflective gauge lenses now. These are really perfect for the cabrio crowd as there practically no reflections from the lenses especially usefull with the top down. They're on our site for 1st gen standard, 1st gen Nav, 1st gen Chrono and 2nd gen tach.

BlimeyCabrio has the first iteration of the stuff and can let you all know how he likes them. Blimey (and any other owner of the early versions), we're now using a better anti-reflective coating. Richard and FES are offering low cost upgrades to the latest and greatest. E-mail me if interested....

Matt

Old 11-26-2009, 04:29 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Shills get free upgrades, I think.

Anyway - the first generation of Richard's replacement lenses were a HUGE improvement over stock - especially in the cabrio. I've been running them for the past 2+ years. They not only dramatically cut down on reflections (as shown above) but also give the instruments a generally "higher quality" look - you don't realize how cheap-looking the OEM plastic domes are until you see them side-by-side with the upgraded lenses.

These are one of my favorite mods - they're almost essential if you have aftermarket gauge faces in a darker color - in that case, the reflections off the OEM lenses can make the gauges almost unreadable in bright light. The anti-reflective coating makes the lenses almost invisible with the darker gauge faces - which is GOOD.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:27 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
I think I might have to upgrade GPMINI with these new lenses

Quick Reply: R52 New Easy-Up circuit for Cabrios!