R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 New Easy-Up circuit for Cabrios!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are two modes in the Top Commander

default is full operation only. There is a mode as well where one tap does the sunroof, and two taps does the full top motion. I just uploaded the final version of the manual here.

Chapter 1 Welcome

The R52 Top Commander circuit is a control module for all R52 Mini Cooper that makes opening and closing the top much easier. No longer do you have to hold buttons down through a long and annoying sequence.

The Top Commander module controls the switches for opening and closing the top and windows in the windshield frame cover. Installation is done right behind the switches.

The Top Commander module can be operated in two distinct modes:

Standard Mode (Default): In this mode you can open and close the top via a double tap. The module takes care of everything. A single tap on the window close button will automatically close all four windows.

Sunroof Mode: This mode allows for separate control of the sunroof:
A single tap will open or close the sunroof only. A double tap will fully open or close the top. A single tap on the window close button will automatically close all four windows.

1.1 Setting the desired mode

The factory default mode is Standard Mode. If you need to switch to Sunroof Mode, this is what you need to do:
  • With the module installed, hold the window close button for more than 20 seconds.
  • The LED will start blinking that the mode has switched.
  • Release the window close button, the module is now in Sunroof mode.
To switch back to Standard Mode, repeat the above.

Matt

Old 11-26-2009, 05:00 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Single-tap sunroof feature enabled, tested, and loved!

You DO have to learn to be "intentional" about the taps - there's certainly a bit of a rhythm to get it right - but it's excellent.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Good to hear!

And we've learned that the Mini is, depending on what it's hooked to, somewhat particular about button push timing. What's really weird is it seems to differ by region!

Matt

Old 11-27-2009, 04:21 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
There's certainly a difference in communication speed between the English-speaking and German-speaking Body Control Units. Something about more consonants and more syllables needed to talk to the German ones. And no spaces between words.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:07 PM
clvig
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just installed mine works great took under 15 miniuts thanks doc!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Hi Ian...

Originally Posted by GBMINI
I think I might have to upgrade GPMINI with these new lenses
I just wanted to note that it's completely reversable, so just keep the originals if you ever want to take GPMINI all the way back to stock....

Matt

Old 11-28-2009, 12:11 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
InvisiLens discussion is getting a bit off-topic from the main subject of this thread. I've started a new thread for InvisiLens: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ge-lenses.html

Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 AM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Top Commander works like a charm. Is there any way to tell it I don't want the windows up after it puts the top down? I guess I just need to tap a button after the top is down to stop the windows?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:52 AM
Jon L
1st Gear
Top Commander

I too can vouch for its ease of installation and use. Absolutely no problems though it takes some getting used to. I was momentarily shocked when the small on-board lights lit up when I connected the power to it, but that was nothing. I attached the double sided tape to the chassis metal just above the light assembly as that seemed more stable and away from any heat. This module along with the auto windows up board are the best improvements to the car.

JonL
'06 MCCS

Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
We've run into this with one other car...

Originally Posted by haygood
Top Commander works like a charm. Is there any way to tell it I don't want the windows up after it puts the top down? I guess I just need to tap a button after the top is down to stop the windows?
seems some cars are faster at dropping the top that others! If the top down button is held for 2 seconds past fully down, the windows go up. We just use a fixed time, but some cars are faster than others.

I think a work around for this is to tap the window down button after you send the top down. It should over-ride the function. We've also got a trick up our sleves that I'll let out of the bag after we test it.

Matt

Old 12-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
The LED sequence...

Originally Posted by Jon L
I too can vouch for its ease of installation and use. Absolutely no problems though it takes some getting used to. I was momentarily shocked when the small on-board lights lit up when I connected the power to it, but that was nothing. I attached the double sided tape to the chassis metal just above the light assembly as that seemed more stable and away from any heat. This module along with the auto windows up board are the best improvements to the car.

JonL
'06 MCCS
is there to let you know that it's little brain is alive and happy! If it does that and there are problems with operation, it means there are issues in the wiring, not the microcontroller.

And it looks cool!

Matt

Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 PM
bradclark
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by haygood
I have the same issue with mine. I guess you could say it's my only complaint. Otherwise, it's an awesome product!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:52 PM
bradclark
2nd Gear
BTW - I wasn't exactly sure where to stick the circuit board. I ended up sticking it between the airbag light and the window buttons - fit perfectly.

Again, very nice product!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:14 PM
tcscb1963
3rd Gear
R52 Top Commander

I am not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I just got and installed my R52 Top Commander, and it is great. It goes up behind the header electronics and hooks to both the top and window switches there.
  • A quick double tap on the top open button fully opens the top.
  • A quick single tap on the window open button fully opens the windows.
  • A quick double tap on the top close button fully closes the top.
  • A quick single tap on the window close button fully closes the windows.
So about 30 seconds of button pushing is replaced by 3 quick taps to open everything up.

And about 20 seconds of button pushing is replaced by 3 quick taps to close everything up.

A single tap on the appropriate button will stop motion of the top or the windows.

You can get them from fes-auto.com

Old 12-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Right place!

At first we called it the Easy-Up... Till we thought about it being easy down as well! Oh well... The product is now the Top Commander....

Glad you like it!

Matt

Old 12-14-2009, 04:41 PM
nyricanintx58
3rd Gear
Installed mine today in 10 minutes. Works great !!!!!!! Great customer service too!! Had a problem with first unit sent to me and I called them. They sent me a new unit with no argument and I got it in a few days. Best investment I have made for my Mini "Harley"

Old 12-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Happy to help out!

and glad you're doing well with the new unit. Send the old one back so I can see what's up with it.

Anyway, I just updated the the manual. A copy of it is here. I also did a "how to" that you can find here.

Matt

Old 12-15-2009, 07:27 AM
joeysun
1st Gear
Installed mine. Works fine. Messed up on the polarity of the switch plugs but nothing got fried and just turned the plug around and everything works as described. Good to know that the car does not 'explode' if you make this simple mistake. I must have misinterpreted the little up arrows on the boards?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Soulsword
2nd Gear
Installed mine tonight. Took all of 10 minutes. Using sunroof mode and must say it's fantastic! Thanks Doc!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:37 PM
101dals
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
seems some cars are faster at dropping the top that others! If the top down button is held for 2 seconds past fully down, the windows go up. We just use a fixed time, but some cars are faster than others.

I think a work around for this is to tap the window down button after you send the top down. It should over-ride the function. We've also got a trick up our sleves that I'll let out of the bag after we test it.

Matt
Matt, I also noticed that it sends the windows up after the top drops. What was the "trick" that you have up you sleeve so the windows don't go back up?

mike

Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Here's what I've learned and some other info...

Mini gave all you Cabrio owners a "feature" in that if you hold the top down button for two seconds past top closed, the windows go up. This is done in the top control module or the body control module, or some scheme between the two.

Now, some of the car's tops move faster than others, and little circuits like the Top Commander and the Ian Cull Auto-Up circuit work based on fixed timing.

So for Top Commander owners, in default mode this means that "fast" tops (they all don't go up and down at the same speed) may be all the way down more than two seconds faster than the slowest. We had to do the timing so it would work on all versions, so really fast ones get the added Mini "Feature" activated for free!

But it gets a bit more messy if you're in "Sunroof" Mode. There we support two modes of operation, one click to open the sunroof, and two clicks to open the top. But because we're not integrated into all the top sensors, a double click always runs through the full top drop timing, and if done when the sunroof is open will trigger the "feature" for free!

So, what can we do about this? We can cut a bit of time out of the standard top down sequence, and this will help some people but really slow tops may not be opened fully. Not a great solution. We can put two modes in top retraction. This may make it pretty good for pretty much all users, but still leaves the problem with the "sunroof" mode.

We're only tied into the top up switch, so doing anything with the top down button won't work either.

So, what we're left with is at best a partial solution. We're thinking of doing the fast and slow modes that would be user selectable. there's still the issue with the Sunroof mode though. Best we can offer there is for those that use that mode to tap the window down button after the top is down to cancle the Mini "feature".

If you're one with a "fast" top, please e-mail me at mattr@fes-auto.com so we can get your top timing to make sure that the fast mode is fast enough for you.

Matt

Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I originally thought about this circuit, I envisaged a calibration procedure where the user would somehow put the circuit into a special mode, trigger the auto sequence, then hit the button again when the roof is open fully. The circuit then would remember the time, maybe add 10% or something, and use that in future normal operation.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 AM
heli_guy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
When I originally thought about this circuit, I envisaged a calibration procedure where the user would somehow put the circuit into a special mode, trigger the auto sequence, then hit the button again when the roof is open fully. The circuit then would remember the time, maybe add 10% or something, and use that in future normal operation.
Yeah... what he said

I can help out if you like when I get mine.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
We've thought about "learning modes"...

but that's as far as it got. Good news is that if we do something like that, the circuit is reprogrammable.

Matt

Old 03-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Tsiggy
Alliance Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Installed and Awesome!

Yep...easy in, easy up and down! Ordered mine just before The Doc headed to AMVIV. (I was worried Matt would sell 'em all before I got mine). Works as described and I chose sunroof mode as my setting.

Quick Reply: R52 New Easy-Up circuit for Cabrios!