R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Help! Need Car Tools!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 07:21 AM
Antranik
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, I don't want to bug my friend and go to his house if I need to use his tools if I want to work on my car. I want to have my own large set of basic tools that is essential for working on the MINI. What do I get? I don't need to go all out with pneumatic/air-tools, I mean just the hand tools like wrenches, ratchets, sockets, etc. I don't know what sizes, what types, etc. You guys get the picture (I am clueless). Thanks! :smile:

Old 04-28-2003, 07:27 AM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>Hey guys, I don't want to bug my friend and go to his house if I need to use his tools if I want to work on my car. I want to have my own large set of basic tools that is essential for working on the MINI. What do I get? I don't need to go all out with pneumatic/air-tools, I mean just the hand tools like wrenches, ratchets, sockets, etc. I don't know what sizes, what types, etc. You guys get the picture (I am clueless). Thanks! :smile:

You will want some Torx screwdrivers in various sizes. After collapsing in shock at paying $15 for one screwdriver you will go over and borrow your friend's tools with very little guilt.

Old 04-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Regular metric socket set with 1/8" to 1/4" for normal stuff and 1/4" to 1/2" ratchet for the big sizes (12mm+)
Set of open end ratchet wrenches (with 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 16mm)
Torx ratchet set
Flat and Phillips screwdrivers
Hydraulic floor jack (or two)
4 jack stands
Cresent wrench
Allen key set
Hangable work light

That should get you started.

R

Old 04-28-2003, 07:59 AM
IQQIMINI
Coordinator :: Mid-Ohio Motoring Club
a Torque wrench!

Make sure your metric socket set has a 17mm for the lugnuts.

Old 04-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Azwed
5th Gear
Speciality tools like torque wrenches you can borrow from autozone for a deposit equal to the cost of the tool.

I have a small inch-lbs torque wrench but I just borrow a foot-lbs torqure wrench for a 90 dollar deposit from Autozone.

Old 04-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
Don't buy the cheapest tools out there. Get some quality stuff. I won't buy a tool unless it's guaranteed. You'll pay a bit more, but it's worth it when a rachet breaks and you can just exchange it for a new one instead of forking out more money to replace it. The better quality tools fit better and will take abuse more. Remember also, that 6 point sockets are better to have than 12 point (less chance of rounding off a sticky nut or bolt. If you have a Sears near you, then Craftsmen brand is highly recommended.

Old 04-28-2003, 12:40 PM
CraigRasmussen
3rd Gear
You guys get the picture (I am clueless). Thanks! :smile:

__________________________________________________ __________________________

I don't want you to take this wrong, but for the time being you might want to bug your friends!! Lear from them, buy the beer and let them teach you about what you need for tools, that's what friends do!! My self, I made an agreement with my mechanic... He won't try to "fix" his computer and I won't try to "fix" my car. We are both cluless in each others field but complement each other nicely with our own talents. I feel that the days of the true shade tree mechanic are gone for good.
:smile:

Old 04-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Antranik
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I was, but now I have some clue, haha Thanks for the tips! I'll check out the Sears tomorrow, do all Sears carry tools? I never go there, haha

Old 04-28-2003, 01:49 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
>>Thanks for the tips! I'll check out the Sears tomorrow, do all Sears carry tools? I never go there, haha <<

I know the feeling. I only go when it's an unavoidablr circumstance, myself! But, yes, most Sears stores carry a good assortment of tools

>>.I feel that the days of the true shade tree mechanic are gone for good.<<

For alot of repairs, this may be true. So much of the more major work needs special diagnostic equipment. However, there are still plenty of opportunities for the home mechanic to get his/her fingers a little dirty, without a major expenditure for "specialty" tools. Anyone should be able to perform basic maintenance like changing oil, filters, light bulbs, checking fuses or even tire rotation to name a few. Doing jobs like these not only saves you money, but it'll give you knowlege of how the car's put together. With basic instruction and the helpful DIY's on this site, you can save enough to put on some of those mods you've been looking at!
:smile:

Old 04-28-2003, 02:14 PM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
All the Sears I've ever been in have a tools section. They have recently started a Hardware store which doesn't carry anything but tools and lawn stuff similar to a Lowe's or Home Depot. I really like the Craftsman tools because if you break them they, you take them back and get a new one. If you want something a little more sturdy, check out Snap On, they have the best tools (also garunteed) but they are a little more expensive. If you were going to open up a shop I'd say go for the snap on but for a garage mechanic go for Craftsman tools if you can.

Look for sales, the Sears Hardware store by us is currently having a sale on sets of tools. If you can afford it, you can typically save buying a big set like this but you may not need all the tools. Definately get a jack and some jack stands, they should be your first purchase. (You can also sometimes find a set of jack stands with a jack)

3/8" socket wrenches are the most versitile but if you want to change your own oil, a 1/2" drive with a 36mm socket is what you'll need. The 1/2" drive should come in one of the bigger sets but you'll probably have to buy the 36mm socket seperately. The craftsman socket will loosen the oil filter case but you can't take it all the way off. If you want to take it all the way off with the socket, you'll need to look for a shallow socket.

A cresent wrench can come in handy but try and avoid using it on nuts because they don't grab on as tightly and you can mess up the nut.

Basically a good start would be to get a mechanics set from craftsman with 1/2" and 3/8" socket sets at least and some combination wrenches (they have a box end which is a circle and an open end which looks like a crescent wrench but is not adjustable). You'll also want some plyers jack and jack stands. Either a creeper or a nice thick blanket. A lug nut wrench is nice to get the wheels off. A set of screw drivers of various sizes.

I have some hex wrenches that came with my set but I got some that attach to my wrench in various sizes as well as some torx bits that attach to them as well. You'll want an air compressor (trust me) once you start working on cars and a lot of times you can get some basic tools for it. If nothing else you'll want one to fill your tires. I got a small one that plugs into the cigarette lighter if you just want to fill up your tires if you don't want to buy a big compressor.

Well that should get you started but walking into the hardware store can be dangerous to your wallet. (it is mine)
-Chris

Old 04-28-2003, 08:19 PM
sprcpr
2nd Gear
Just a few words from a guy that used to make a living with his tools, and I still have most of the Sears craftsman stuff I recieved for christmas when I was 13. I like craftsman but don't overlook your local farm store. I have some good tools, and some bargain tools. Depends on how often I need them. Buy the best screwdrivers you can find. You will never regret it. I have good wrenches and cheap wrenches. I tend to use the cherap ones more because they fit more places. I love ratchet wrenches. If you can fit them in they are great. Buy a good ratchet. It's the degrees between clicks that's important. I love my snap on, but I also have a couple of k-marts that are ok as well. They are fifteen years old and are holding up fine. My snap ring pliers are a cheapo set and I haven't had a problem. For torx, Sears makes a multi bit set with interchangable ends for 30 bucks, works fine. Buy a toolbox with drawers, you can get one for 100 bucks at sears. I promise you won't regret it. Six point sockets are nice, but I use my 12 points more, just seem to be easier to get on in tight places. Sometimes they have specials on basic mechanics sets. Good needlenose pliers are worth their weight in gold. I have worn out more pairs of these than any other tool in my toolbox. Good ones will last a long time. Also purists will snear, but a high quality adjustable wrench is a great tool. It is sometimes easier to use a cresent wrench to hold bolts wile tightening nuts than to search for a wrench. Buy a dead blow hammer, it helps. Invest in a good blanket to throw over the fender, and keeep it free of grit. Nothing more disheartening than scratching paint with the very tool you were using to protect the paint.

Last buy a high quality floor jack and jack stands and USE THEM.. Do not skimp on this. Never put anything under the car your not prepared to have crushed if the car is not on stands, I try to use both and I still get paranoid working under the car.

Old 04-28-2003, 08:45 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
Another good speciality type tool to have is a couple of different kinds of snakes or grabbers.

You always drop an important little part just out of reach of your hands. This happens to me even more since I have very short arms with rather thick hands and forearms.

I have a magnetic snake and a spring loaded grasper snake. They have paid for themselves over and over.

Old 04-29-2003, 06:02 AM
Senator_Rude
3rd Gear

oooh Call your local snap on man and get yourself one of these nifty little led pen flashlights. Its awsome, only cost me 20 bucks, while your there pop for the 400 dollar flashlight kit, works good too! I love the look of horror on my cheap assed co-workers when they ask how much i pay for my tools. They always buy these really cheap really crappy tools that are always breaking. But still in their mind no matter how many times they buys something they are still saving money.

The sucky thing however is since i share my tool box with my dad ( the boss) they are always borrowing tools that they don't have and wrecking my stuff.

I would say with tools go with the ones that have lifetime warranties, like snap on or craftsman. I busted a 45$ socket yesterday, handed the junk one to the snap on man and he handed me a new one. no questions asked.