R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Need some Serious HELP and Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 12:15 PM
dgszweda
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My MCS is arriving at the dealership tomorrow and I have a conundrum! My car has been sitting at the Distribution site since 3/17/2003. Since it has been a while, I was getting concerned with where it was at (since I am only 90 miles from the Distribution Center). After a run around with the dealer they finally said that there was a scratch along the door, they touched it up, but after it was loaded on the truck someone said it looked way to bad to send to the dealer. So they ended up taking the door off and repainting the door. I know that a lot of cars usually have problems that are fixed without the new owner ever knowing about them, but since I do know about it it is bothering me. In my opinion this is almost the worse thing that could happen to the car. The paint is the one thing that can never be brought up to full factory finish. It could look close, but I have never had a repaint that wasn't more susceptible to paint fading, peeling, or chipping down the road. I doubt the warranty will cover the paint down the road, unless it can be shown that the paint is deffective, and even then the only thing they will do is repaint it. I am really frusturated right now having waited so long and not being in a position to be able to do much about it because of the long waits and high demands for the car. So what I am soliciting are comments on what you would do in my situation? Would you take the car? Would you try to get the dealership to do anything for you? Any comments or suggestions would be great.

Old 04-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe they have one on the lot that is the same color as yours and they could swap the doors out? Worth asking....... :smile:

Chow!

Donna

Old 04-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Mister_S
3rd Gear
dgszweda,

Sorry to hear you have to deal with this. I agree with all your concerns. Any repaint will not last like the factory paint, even if it looks right to begin with. And unfortunately, paint failure typically happens after a standard warranty period expires (usually five to seven years out depending on care and sun exposure). You didn't say what color the car is, but all the concerns you have will only be worse with a metallic color versus a solid color. In addition, any body work and/or repaint usually means a reduced resale value.

Just my opinion, but I have waited a year to get my MCS. I will probably own it for at least ten years. I am paying full price for a new car, and that is what I expect to get. Not being in any hurry, I would insist the dealer order another car for me and I'd wait the extra two months. They can put the car on the lot and sell it to someone who's not willing to wait.

If you can't wait any longer and you are satisfied with the visual quality of the repaint, make certain you negotiate a discount to cover the inevitable repaint the door will need down the line and/or the reduced resale value.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it works out,

James

Old 04-08-2003, 12:45 PM
dgszweda
1st Gear
Thanks for the comments so far. The car is Electric Blue, which may cause more problems. There are no other cars on the lot with the same color, and the options that I chose (EB/B with Nav, and 16" wheels) make it difficult to find.

Do you think the dealer would negotiate any? I may try that tactic, but the demand for the vehicle always puts the consumer in the passenger seat on these kinds of things.

Old 04-08-2003, 12:51 PM
truckeecollins
3rd Gear
If it was me I would opt for another car. You will always know about the door and be looking for the worst to happen. I didn't find the 6 week wait too bad. But if you plan on owning the car as long as I do ...
Good luck.

Old 04-08-2003, 01:00 PM
minibill
3rd Gear
If you get the car, get it in writing from BMW that the car is a factory quality repair.
don't allow dealer to snow you
al

Old 04-08-2003, 01:03 PM
6f7
4th Gear

IMO, I would also ask for a new car. If the thought of that door being repainted is going to be an itch you can't scratch (so to speak) and always annoy you--then you'd be better off waiting.

If you decide you are going to consider taking this one, be sure to view the paint in sunlight and shade!!! Ask to pull the car out of the showroom and drive, stop and look at it from several angles in the sun! Also be sure they give you an extended warrantee on the paint on that door!