R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 The Official MC40 Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 09:50 AM
MC40Russ
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought I listed it here a few years ago when I had my Mini.

Old 02-22-2022, 11:26 AM
Mudhen
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW, signed by the man himself! What a treasure - wish I had the money to bid on it.

It's going to be a $10k sun visor with a MINI attached! :-)

Old 02-22-2022, 12:56 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I remember Paddy doing signings at some local MINI events, thats cool he was at that event.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-26-2022, 02:45 PM
MC40Russ
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I remember Paddy doing signings at some local MINI events, thats cool he was at that event.
Yes, Paddy has been here to Portland a few times. Such a nice genuine guy that's willing to share his story.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 12:46 PM
MC40Russ
1st Gear
Well, the MC40 just sold on Cars and Bids for $12,500. Thanks for being an awesome community to talk to over the years.
Russ

ECSTuning (02-28-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 11:49 AM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 224 Posts
Nice looking MC40 for low $$ with new clutch on CL in Vegas

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/...449639234.html

Old 03-20-2022, 03:09 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
Likely a clone. Shouldn't be a 5-speed, the console is not correct, # badge, decals, door numbers and the GB on the boot are missing, and no MC40 came with cruise.

mountainhorse (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 09:26 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
You very well could be correct.

But also... could just be upgraded a bit.

It would be a lot of effort/cost to do clone it though (slicktop and all)
It would have cost a fortune to add the console gauges, MC40 floor mats, MC40 shift ****, R90 Anthracite wheels, Carbon Dashboard, chrome grille, chrome mirrors, white roof, etc etc.

If its an "S" it has a 6 speed, right? (no 5 speeds on the W11 engine, it DOES have a hood scoop).... many people refer to any manual-transmission cars are '4-speed' or '5-speed'. One of my buddies refers to his new M2-Comp as a "4-speed"

Lots of MC40's have all the vinyl stickers removed... a lot of the dealers actually couldn't sell the MC40 cars on their lots and stripped off all of that to sell them new.

Center armrest could easily have been added later.. which would have ditched the commemorative plaque there in that center area unfortunately....though it might still be in the car stuck to the carpet underneath the added console/armrest assembly

I've seen a few MC40's with the cruise/radio control 3-spoke wheels ... added at the dealer when the JCW engine kit was installed and sometimes Aero.
Then had it coded in. (like in post #459 above) ...or this one https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/

Good price on the car regardless... and the mileage is reasonable for a $5700 Gen1 MCS/MC40 with a new clutch.
Could turn out to be a 'bust' just like any used car could be ...or might be a gem for the right 'MC40 hunter'.
https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/...449639234.html

An easy request for the VIN... and look at on Mdecoder would show what he has there.

Last edited by mountainhorse; 03-20-2022 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:46 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
You could be right. The stickers and door numbers concern me less than the missing "GB" on the boot. Seems odd that someone would remove that, unless of course it had been hit it the rear and the boot replaced. Adding the steering wheel and the attendant wiring for cruise, radio, programming, etc. seems a lot of work for very little convenience (also backup camera, Bluetooth and more?). Plus, not indicating the mileage is a red flag to me and I would also be concerned that the seller doesn't seem to realize that it's an MC40. And, since he doesn't provide pics of the engine or the exhaust I'm thinking calling it a "Works edition" comes from looking at the plaque on the dash and not from actually having the JCW package. Used car prices have gone nuts over the last two years but I paid only $4k for my MC40 with 125,000 miles. Good luck to whoever buys it, though. I've enjoyed mine immensely.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:46 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cooper48
You could be right. The stickers and door numbers concern me less than the missing "GB" on the boot. Seems odd that someone would remove that, unless of course it had been hit it the rear and the boot replaced. Adding the steering wheel and the attendant wiring for cruise, radio, programming, etc. seems a lot of work for very little convenience (also backup camera, Bluetooth and more?). Plus, not indicating the mileage is a red flag to me and I would also be concerned that the seller doesn't seem to realize that it's an MC40. And, since he doesn't provide pics of the engine or the exhaust I'm thinking calling it a "Works edition" comes from looking at the plaque on the dash and not from actually having the JCW package. Used car prices have gone nuts over the last two years but I paid only $4k for my MC40 with 125,000 miles. Good luck to whoever buys it, though. I've enjoyed mine immensely.
I hear ya !!

The GB on the hatch is easy to remove with dental floss. I've seen plenty that have been removed on the MC40's...

The steering wheels are abundant... no wiring from what I'm told other than adding in the clock spring on the steering column
Coding it in is not a big deal... pretty straight forward chore. The radio is the same.

Used car prices have gone berserk for sure... The days of finding many Gen1's below $5k that are worth having and don't need thousands of dollars of work are behind us.
Anything decent and with a new clutch is in the $7k range these days, minimum.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:38 AM
Jefferson Riff
2nd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
The car is not well presented

First off, the person selling the car does not seem to be a car enthusiast It is not well photographed or described, so any inaccuracy in the text is to be expected.

There are not enough photos for me to determine if it is/was an MC40 with any accuracy. I do lean toward it being legit for a few reasons.
First the expensive R90 wheels and hard to get parts in the interior are there. If it not a real one, it was faked some time ago because the MC40 specific items look worn like the rest of the car, and most of those items are NLA today. Sure it has been modified, how may gen1s are out there unmolested? Not many I am sure.
Second, most people (including MINI owners) don't even know what an MC40 is, much less how to spot a fake. All of the MC40 stuff could have been added to a standard MCS, but I doubt it because that would have cost more than the $7,000 option price they had even back in the day when these were new.

I got an education when I rescued Monty. I dove in head first and learned more than I wanted. You can see that project HERE. The one definitive thing that is hard to fake is the lack of sound deadening material. If you pull the door panel and look at the inside of the door skin, it will not have as much (or even any) material to stop noise and vibrations. If can't pull the door card, just roll down the window and close the door, there will be an audible ring as the door latches as compared to other gen1 MCSs.

Again, my vote is it is legit MC40. The real question is it a good deal? If you want an MC40, you will buy it, maybe put another $3,000 and be happy with the Craigslist "find". If you are going to buy it wash it and flip it, you will need to spend some researching the car. Things such as finding and talking to the original dealer, the original or owner go along way to build the story of the car. For my project, Monty was in worse cosmetic condition that this ones looks like (and as it turned out in not the best mechanical condition either).

If I were to take on the challenge of another MC40, I would by it.

Just my 3 cents worth (extra penny due to inflation)
Jeff

Last edited by Jefferson Riff; 03-25-2022 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:03 AM
Green Flash
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The GB on the back of my MC40 became soft and blackened around the edges. It was unattractive and gave the car an uncared for look. I replaced it with a stainless steel GB.

Old 07-04-2022, 01:13 PM
The Devil Z
4th Gear
Received 123 Likes on 87 Posts
This is cross posted in the for sale section but wanted to put it here too.

2004 r53 MC40 177k
Rust free example from Washington State. Purchased in North Dakota and brought back to Wisconsin. Does not see service in snow or rain. Garaged when the first yearly salt is applied to roads. Put back into service after several hard rains wash away salt.
All service work done by me as a retired Master Level tech from Ford Blue oval Certified. All bushings in car have been replaced with either power flex or stock where applicable that stock is better.
Koni red FSD on all four corners with less than 1k on their service life.
Wilwood 6pk 13” Rotors on the front.
Wilwood 2ph and 12” rotors with mechanical parking brakes in the rear.
Hankook rs4 on all 4 corners
Engine was rebuilt from ground up 20k ago. Pistons used where designed by the original engineer for Chrysler.
Sold by RMW/Mahle 77.5 ceramic coated crowns/dish
Molnar Rods as included arp2000 hardware
Mini genuine Mains and Rod bearings.
Crank was lightened and purchased from Tim Estep.
Rotating assembly was balanced and machine work per slug was done. Meaning p2w or ring gap was done per bore per slug not all just done to the same spec and musical pistons/bore played. So after balancing and p2w was set piston 1 had ring gap set and was installed into bore 1 so on so forth.
Brand new factory purchased from Mini Oil pump and all ancillary timing components guides chain tensioner etc.
Factory new oil pan was machine washed and all casting flaws removed to prevent and scale or flake issues.
Brand new oil filter housing.
All gasket top to bottom where from mini and new nothing re used.
Pack of 50 crush washers were obtained for the in sump oil temp sensor.
New power steering pump and fan installed.
New Power steering lines hard and soft with all factory new hardware installed as well. Clamps etc.
RMW BVH aka Jesus part Deux. Not the original design but also not the big big big SIGH Stage 2 head either But the common rmw head everyone gets.
Catcam 469 camshaft but 464 included with car.
Tvs 900 blower with 53 55 60 65 and 70 mm pulleys included. 2% and 4% RMW ati Shells included. 4% installed. Current setup of 53mm and 4% produces 24psi threw the RMW bvh CATCAM high lift setup. SO it flows baby OH YEEEEEAH!
CNC ported RMW intake Manifold that has been heat treat coated. Delron Phelonic intake spacer.
1000CC FIC MINI R52/R53 FUEL INJECTOR CLINIC INJECTOR SET (HIGH-Z) Running at base pressure of 45 psi.
Currently DW 65 with Kenne bell Boost a pump for fuel delivery. -6 Ptfe Braided lines installed from back to front. Dw400 pump being installed shortly with return line setup -8 ptfe.
Ford Flex fuel sensor in play mounted in cabin to handle the e85 duties. -6 ptfe line from sensor to rail as well.
DDM intake box with true 3” feed and a 6” Velocity stack inside the box.
Aquamist Meth injection system installed HFS 3. Using factory headlight washer tank. Pump and all components installed inside the air box under the Velocity stack. Setup for 50/50 mix. Various jets included.
Pro Alloy Silver intercooler installed. AT full tilt 24psi 1-3wot pulls with aquamist running intake temps rarely see above 20 over ambient. Most times under ambient with condensation forming on intercooler.
Link g4 with various safety features in play and sensors oil intake fuel pressure true digital Can Lambda etc.
Aim Strada Dash.
RMW Street header With Miltek Catback
I am sure I am forgetting some other crap and likely something major as well lol. Aasking 17k OBO. Not going to field stupid questions or break the car for parts. 338whp and 265 ftlbs trq. Dyno sheets avail and live Dyno pull arranged when a client shows up with cash in hand. Until then I am not playing who has the bigger **** with the Mini Community. Folks that know me know my skillset and my talent for building high quality cars.
Obv well over 17k into it. Yes I know we never get it back. But as a person who has been building for 30 years I Am aware. Also aware that you still couldn’t build this setup for less than 17. But again feel free to ***** moan and measure your internet ***** with each other.

RMW FMIC kit included must loose AC to use.

Car has lived its entire life on Driven Dt40 and will include a 50 gallon drum of dt40 and a 54 gallon drum of VP M1

Located in Western WI near twin cities.

This car was featued in this thread with my previous NAM Handle.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:14 AM
thirtyseven
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any FB owner groups for the MC40?

Old 08-07-2022, 08:52 AM
The Devil Z
4th Gear
yes

Old 08-07-2022, 09:25 AM
thirtyseven
Neutral
Do you know the name of it? I've been looking but it doesn't pop up.

Thanks! Trying to find other owners haha

Old 08-07-2022, 09:47 AM
The Devil Z
4th Gear
enter mc40 mini cooper into the search bar pops right up. small group under 500. If you need a replica plaque made I do them for 200. I left the fb group myself.

Old 08-07-2022, 12:50 PM
thirtyseven
Neutral
Thanks for the info!

Old 08-22-2022, 03:31 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
F.Y.I.
FireStorm Graphix now has the MC40 side decals in additional to the hood decals and the door numbers. Plus, they have a 20% off sale running at the moment.

Now Available!!
MC40 Special Edition Side Decals

Buy just the pair or add them on in the Mini Cooper MC40 Special Edition Kit
Please Enjoy This Exclusive
20% Off Site Wide Code

Code: sale20
Good until 08/22

Grab your decals before the deal's gone!
Place your orders ASAP: FireStorm Graphix
Can't find what you want? Give us a call! 603-809-4139

[img]file:///C:/Users/Carl/AppData/Local/Packages/microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/msohtmlclip/clip_image001.png[/img]

Win $50 Gift Certificate For FireStorm Graphix
Just Send Us Your Racing Photos

Every month we will be announcing a winner of our photo submission contest. Send us a picture of your car with FireStorm Graphix decals on it and you may win! Winners will receive a $50 gift card for the site. Follow us on Instagram. Email your car photos to: info@firestormgraphix.com
Are you looking for your wrap to stand out?
Give us a call like this client did with a tribute for 9/11.
Made in good ole 'Merica !

Old 08-30-2022, 05:30 PM
thatminicarguy
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I got my new Fire Storm Graphix today I hope they are a better quality than another supplier. I went through two sets and they're still peeling off. The original supplier said that because I live in a hot climate they would not stick. The original stickers didn't come off they just they just faded with age???

Old 08-30-2022, 05:34 PM
thirtyseven
Neutral
Originally Posted by thatminicarguy
I got my new Fire Storm Graphix today I hope they are a better quality than another supplier. I went through two sets and they're still peeling off. The original supplier said that because I live in a hot climate they would not stick. The original stickers didn't come off they just they just faded with age???

I’ve heard that they are better quality. Apparently another site that sells the package doesn’t have the right font. I can’t confirm nor deny but that’s what I’ve heard.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:32 PM
The Devil Z
4th Gear
Sticky fingers product ended up being junk they were the ones on wheeler dealer show. 5zero4 has been the best I have ever used and I have a car wrapped by them. They also offer the door numbers in a vinyl cling. The magnets never stick over 100mph on the track and have had many numerous brands some suggested here some suggested by track rats none ever made it past 100mph until vinyl door clings

Old 08-31-2022, 09:24 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
The FireStorm Graphix decal quality is excellent. I've had them on my MC40 for over a year and a half with no problems (and the font used on the license is correct).

The Devil Z (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 02:38 PM
The Devil Z
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cooper48
The FireStorm Graphix decal quality is excellent. I've had them on my MC40 for over a year and a half with no problems (and the font used on the license is correct).
wEll I am sure there are many different places all with quality stuff. That being said I have to ask if you have gone over 100mph for any length with the magnetic door clings on?

FWIW to all I have asked to be banned again because people complain about my blunt factor knowing I have Asperger's. So cherry O mates.

Old 08-31-2022, 03:02 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
First let me say that I find your Asperger's refreshing. And, I have not driven an extended time above 100mph. I have driven an extended time above 90mph with no issues. I would say that if you're concerned about magnetic numbers adhering you should probably apply decal numbers instead.

Last edited by cooper48; 09-01-2022 at 07:15 AM. Reason: incorrect text

Quick Reply: R50/53 The Official MC40 Owners Club