R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 lease and required insurance (ca)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 04:18 PM
dashiel
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lease and required insurance (ca)

i've had my leased DS/B cooper s for about 4 months now and i just received a letter from "financial vehicle trust" stating that they need more information, or my insurance policy was inadequate.

now i bought new insurance the day i picked up my mini from AAA because my insurance agent at the time wasn't open (after 2 months, my patience was gone )

AAA faxed the insurance to MINI Irvine and they faxed AAA back with the VIN and other information. at no point prior to purchase, during purchase or after (to this point) was i informed i needed to have a specific level of coverage. furthermore upon reviewing my contract the insurance verification, pre-filled out by Irvine MINI. the document also states:

i agree to maintain the insurance coverage described in section 19. i affirm that such insurance is in force on the date of this lease. i authorize lessor and its assignees to speak to my insurance agent or company, and in any future insurance agents or companies, about my coverage for the leased vehicle.
the letter sent has no contact information other than a fax number and does not come from the same address where i send my payments.

this feels like a scam, though to what end i can't quite figure out. the letter does have my correct account # and VIN.

so a couple of questions

1) why, if i've given them permission to talk to my agent, and they have the information are they talking to me?

2) why, if my insurance wasn't apparently adequate on drive off did they let me drive off?

3) do i have any recourse in terms of it being their liability/responsibility to inform me of my responsibility for insurance?

4) i've not ever heard of requiring specific amounts of insurance for a car on a lease with the exception of covering the value of the car.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:19 PM
dashiel
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm not sure how those other two threads got posted. i apologize.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:29 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lease or loan, your insurance agent is suppose to help by contacting
the lessor or loaner to find out exactly what coverage is needed.