R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 do we know that guy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 05:43 AM
katesmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do we know that guy?

I've got a mini story to share. Last night I was motoring home from a terrbile day at work in my 2006 CoB/B MCSC. It had been raining all day but the sun finally came out right before I got off so had the top down and was enjoying the drive. As I turned on my street there was an SUV ahead of me. I didn't think anything of it and kept going and pulled into my driveway. My husband had a friend over and they came out to check out the car (we've only had it a week). Not two minutes later, the same SUV came back down the street and turned into our driveway. The driver got out, looking like he was on a mission. I looked at my husband and said, "Do we know that guy?" under my breath. Of course he didn't know him either. He was a well dressed older gentleman, had his Benson and Hedges cigs in his pocket, his lady friend in the car. He broke into a huge smile and said, I saw you driving behind me and I said to my friend, "That is a g**d*** Mini Cooper S. And it's a convertible! We have to go back" He then proceeds to spend 5 minutes telling me about the time he test drove a mini and how much he loved it and how gorgeous my car is. He was glad I got the S, he was glad I got the convertible, he was glad he saw my car. I was like, well I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I do! It really made my night to have someone actually TURN AROUND and come back just to admire my car!

Old 05-27-2006, 06:15 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great story!

I went to a frozen custard place once -- got my cone of frozen deliciousness, sat down and was subsequently mobbed by a guy who pulled in after me: asking all kinds of questions, checking out the car, general oogling, popping of the bonnet (it was new and thus not yet filthy )... my custard melted!

But it was awesome, nonetheless. It still amazes me how different it's been owning this car as opposed to, oh, say... a 1986 Dodge Omni Or anything else for that matter.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
What a cool story!

I typically get a bunch of questions from folks when I take my car to do-it-yourself auto shops on military bases. Especially down in P'cola, FL! Since there's no dealers around, I get a lot of questions, especially from the retired folks!

Hehe, which reminds me of another story. In one of the local DC MINI dealerships, I was looking for some misc. part, and I noticed that the MAs were busy with other customers when one guy had a few questions. The MA recognised me and said to the guy, 'oh, there's Paul, he can help you out, and I'll be with you in a moment'! I'm not an expert by any means, but the questions were fairly simple, and the guy was impressed with my knowledge (and the car!)! I keep on meaning to go back and ask for my part of the commission if he ended up buying!

-Paul!

Old 05-27-2006, 10:17 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't ya just wonder why folks with this much enthusiasm for MINIs are driving SUVs at all? They actually sell these things to the public, ya know...anybody can own one!!! It'd be torture driving about and coming undone by every MINI one saw. I suspect the next time you see that gentleman, he'll be in a MCSc of his own...at least I certainly hope so for his sake!!!

Old 05-27-2006, 10:17 AM
RonP
4th Gear
That's a great story katesmini. A great ending to a terrible day.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:26 AM
MIniClown
1st Gear
It great ! I know i've help sell at least three

Old 05-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Bad S
2nd Gear
It is truly a wonderful experience to own a MINI. My wife and I have owned Austin since Aug of 05 and we have had some pretty wild experiences from people chasing us down in parking lots to folks hanging out of their car windows screaming, pointing, waving, smiling, etc. I have noticed also, that it doesn't matter what sex or the age of the person. We've had kids no older that five or six to people up into their seventies or above. I have never seen a car strike such a strong positive emotion in such a wide range of people before.

Old 05-27-2006, 01:40 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Don't ya just wonder why folks with this much enthusiasm for MINIs are driving SUVs at all? They actually sell these things to the public, ya know...anybody can own one!!! It'd be torture driving about and coming undone by every MINI one saw. I suspect the next time you see that gentleman, he'll be in a MCSc of his own...at least I certainly hope so for his sake!!!
Funniest thing ive read in a while.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:12 PM
katesmini
3rd Gear

Made me laugh too!

Old 05-27-2006, 02:24 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Don't ya just wonder why folks with this much enthusiasm for MINIs are driving SUVs at all?
Aww cmon gokart ... you know there is a time and a place for everything. IN fact, we just got back from Home Depot hauling 8 foot planking for deck replacements. FIt perfectly in our little bitty SUV.... It would take TWO MINIs stacked lengthwise to get those boards in a MINI driving in Tandem

We also saw some guy in a generic American Intermediate sedan with a new lawnmower and his trunk up. He and the wife were just looking helpless as their was no way that lawnmower was going his truck ... I bet he WISHED he had a SUV

Old 05-27-2006, 02:49 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Aww cmon gokart ... you know there is a time and a place for everything. IN fact, we just got back from Home Depot hauling 8 foot planking for deck replacements. FIt perfectly in our little bitty SUV.... It would take TWO MINIs stacked lengthwise to get those boards in a MINI driving in Tandem

We also saw some guy in a generic American Intermediate sedan with a new lawnmower and his trunk up. He and the wife were just looking helpless as their was no way that lawnmower was going his truck ... I bet he WISHED he had a SUV
Own a car thats huge, bad for enviroment, guzzels the life out of gas so I can go to home depot, once in a great moon? Ill just rent one.

Nobody is saying SUV's/Pickup trucks arent useful but most users dont use all that trunk space or the pickup to hual a 5k lb of whatever.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:00 PM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
the soccer moms are hauling 5k lbs of kids and equipment (maybe) or a grocery bag or two. ;-) "but they're so safe!" My a**.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:01 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My wife and I once stopped at an Infinity dealer to check on a possible new car for her. We got there just after the dealership closed, so we wandered around a bit, just peeking in the windows and reading the stickers.

When we came back to the MINI (about 3 months old at that point and I had just put on the painted arches), there was a couple doing the '2-handed peer into the windows' on Jango, trying to get a look at the inside through the dark tint. They lived out in the country and were in Dallas to do a bit of car shopping... they missed the MINI dealer on that trip, so I let 'em climb in and get a good look. For a minute there, I thought I was going to have to take them on a test drive to get 'em out of the car...

I think that it's a rare trip to the gas station when someone doesn't strike up a conversation about Jango. My wife didn't believe me until that moment.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:01 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by illegalprelude
Own a car thats huge, bad for enviroment, guzzels the life out of gas so I can go to home depot, once in a great moon? Ill just rent one.
Your way off base ... Guzzle gas? I get 22-23 MPG on regular. MCS gets 25mpg on Premium in a good week. Guess which tank is Cheaper to fill up???

Once in a great moon? Do you own a house? Do you have to keep it up? Maintain it? Renovate it? For example, at the moment we are rebuilding our deck. Oh, and Landscaping as the wife is constantly hauling bags of dirt and plants, literally, every week. Do you really think all that dirt is going in the MINI? My wife won't even let her beloved Chows into that car for fear of scratching the leather.

Oh, and the "rent a truck idea?" Have you ever had to actually do that or depend upon Friends with trucks? At one time, we had TWO (2) 2 seater sports cars ... no carrying capacity at all. We tried to live like that for a year or more ... it gets REAL old, REAL quick.

You got to walk in the same shoes to understand what others need.mad:

I don't mean to sound harsh about this but I am also sick of that lame "rent a truck" line and "holier than thou" attitude when ppl do not understand what needs to be done.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:14 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Your way off base ... Guzzle gas? I get 22-23 MPG on regular. MCS gets 25mpg on Premium in a good week. Guess which tank is Cheaper to fill up???

Once in a great moon? Do you own a house? Do you have to keep it up? Maintain it? Renovate it? For example, at the moment we are rebuilding our deck. Oh, and Landscaping as the wife is constantly hauling bags of dirt and plants, literally, every week. Do you really think all that dirt is going in the MINI? My wife won't even let her beloved Chows into that car for fear of scratching the leather.

Oh, and the "rent a truck idea?" Have you ever had to actually do that or depend upon Friends with trucks? At one time, we had TWO (2) 2 seater sports cars ... no carrying capacity at all. We tried to live like that for a year or more ... it gets REAL old, REAL quick.

You got to walk in the same shoes to understand what others need.mad:

I don't mean to sound harsh about this but I am also sick of that lame "rent a truck" line and "holier than thou" attitude when ppl do not understand what needs to be done.
One might be cheaper to fill up but what costs you more in the long run? Your already claiming your SUV gives you less MPG so im gonna guess, the SUV costs more to fill up.

Thhe line of renting a truck works superbly well because, how about all those people who live in Town Houses and Apartments and dorms? Im pretty sure their not constructiong jack. How about those with brand new houses and all the wifes who drive the tanks, just to get to the office? Im pretty sure going to Ralphs/Krogers does not need 2 extra rows and a cargo space.

Again, you read over the fact that I dont believe SUV's and Trucks are usless as me stating, if I needed one, I would go rent one, thus showing there are uses for them. Im just saying the excuse of "I need that space" is worthless for prolly 70% of people use it because they just wanna own a huge car because they feel safe or just wanna be bigger then you

Back to topic, I still get alot of heads turning with the Cooper, even in the LA area's. people love the MINI

Old 05-27-2006, 03:28 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by illegalprelude
One might be cheaper to fill up but what costs you more in the long run?

Thhe line of renting a truck works superbly well because, how about all those people who live in Town Houses and Apartments and dorms?

70% of people use it because they just wanna own a huge car because they feel safe or just wanna be bigger then you
Like I said, I didnt mean to sound harsh, just tired of those lines
  1. In the long run? Its pointless to add up all the "mods" on the MINI because thats voluntary. However, once both are out of warranty (and the SUV is a Toyota) ... wanna bet which one costs more to maintain???
  2. But that is not my situation and you gotta do what you gotta do. They dont have the same needs .. as I said, you got to understand peoples needs
  3. I can't argue with that point because your probably right. Then again, it is America and I am SURE, absolutely sure, that many "large" SUV owners laugh at those itty bitty MINIs. Last time I check, we were in countless wars and many veterans have died to give you the right to choose what you want to buy. Freedom ... and I, for one, would never deny that right to any American.
BTW, I know several owners of large SUVs and they would never give them up. Money is not an issue ... they dont care what gas costs. They just want what they want ... the American way.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:28 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Aww cmon gokart ... you know there is a time and a place for everything.
True enough...it just seemed that the guy in katesmini's story was so over-the-top in his MINI enthusiasm you'd think he'd want to go out and buy a MINI of his own. He'd needn't give up his other vehicle.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:30 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
True enough...it just seemed that the guy in katesmini's story was so over-the-top in his MINI enthusiasm you'd think he'd want to go out and buy a MINI of his own. He'd needn't give up his other vehicle.
YUP!!! You got it

Old 05-28-2006, 04:07 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great story!