R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Car Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 12:25 PM
mini_muscle
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Comparison

Well, I know it's early but in three years or so i'll be considering the purchase of my first car. Since I will be in the middle of college, and won't be made of money, cars produced around right now will be the ones I'll most likely be looking to buy.

My interesed list is as follows:
MINI Coooper S (of course, at the top of the list)
Mustang GT
Pontiac Solstice
Audi TT
Mazda RX-8

I know it's quite the list, but I was hoping for some help from my fellow MINI lovers. Try to be as objective as possible in giving advice, although I know that's going to be hard.

The catagories I'm considering are:
Style
Performace
Reliability
Practicality

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 05-14-2006, 01:36 PM
gt6
5th Gear
What's your price ceiling? None of those are going to come very cheap.

-Style is pretty subjective so you're going to have to make the call on that one.

-Performance is a tough one also. Each of those listed has some things that are better than the others. Overall, I'd have to put the MCS on top although the Mustang GT would be a real kick in the pants. The MCS would handle much better and probably would be more enjoyable overall.

-Reliability I think is a wash. Again, each has it's own pluses and minuses.

-Practicality; depends what you mean. How many people to you want it to hold? What kinds of trips? What other things would you might want to carry with you? For my definition of practicality, I'd toss out the Solstice and the Audi TT.

Any others you might want to consider? Jetta, Audi A3?

Good luck with your search.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:49 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you're still going to be in college, get something with a hatchback so
you can carry stuff from your apartment/dorm to whereever.

I would say a Maz5 would be your choice....should be down in the low
$10k's by then. You don't need anything fancy while you're still in
school or starting out your first real job. Get something practical,
find a place of your own (preferably something you would own), and
then get a car that you want down the road.

you're not a true car enthusiast if you're still living at your parent's
house and you're spending all your earnings as allowance on your
car... well, at least not in my books.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd look at the VW GTi too, gotta love that the current car has the DSG gearbox.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Stinger
3rd Gear
As a father of college age kids, you are missing one other consideration - insurance costs. The MINI will undoubtedly be the cheapest to insure. All of the others will be considered sports cars. The convertibles will be more.

All that said, I had a perfect '66 Maserati Mistral when I was in college. Before you gag, I saved my parents a bundle by going to the US Naval Academy.

Life is too short to drive a piece of junk!

Old 05-14-2006, 08:39 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
go with the cooper S... as a current college student ill tell you the moment you drive a car to school, guys and girls will line up to get rides... so for me, if you like that, a nice 5 door hatch like the mazda 3 is actually a half decent deal... otherwise, go with a 2 seater (keeping in mind insurance for that), so you know who you want to ride with!

that said, on your list, the MINI wins on fuel economy... i heard the solstice isn't that great a drive, RX8 is boring as hell under 6k rpm, Mustang is too big, TT is too show-off ish...

Old 05-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Three years from now?

The Mustang and the Mazda will probably be the cheapest, the solstace is an unknown. The TT will cost a lot to repair, and the Mini will be the most practical. But then, three years from now, a 2001 Jag XKR will probably as cheap as the rest!

Matt

Old 05-14-2006, 09:32 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
My crystal all says the Fords and the Pontiacs born today will be pieces of crap by the time you would be reasy to buy. That leaves the Mazda, which swallows a quart of oil with every fill of the gas tank, the Audi, and the Mini. The TT is not at all practical for a young person who will need mobility and utility and more versatility from your only auto, which only the Mini can provide.

There. Your decision is made.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:23 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Wow, must be nice to be able to purchase a NEW car while still IN college... I didn't buy my first brandy new vehicle until I got my first real job - after school.
MINI Cooper (S) - fun, safe, unique, decent on mileage... and the girls will love it too! :-)

Old 05-15-2006, 04:28 AM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Don't be so quick to pass on a regular MC. Easy on gas and insurance, fun to drive, easier on the wallet than the MCS. The 05 & 06 Coopers have the better gearbox.

Most of all get something fun. You will need a break once in a while. A nice drive is a good way to work off some stress.

Some schools take a dim view of Freshmen having cars. Best to leave the car at home the first year.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:21 AM
DownSize
3rd Gear
well I know the RX-8 and the TT are out the window. A guy at my work has had both (currentyl the RX) and he says both are not very fun to drive. Both the rx has very little torque and the maintenance is very meticulous. The mustang, well it's a mustang depends what you are trying to get out of the car. The solstice is a joke, atleast to me it is.
keep in mind, I am very biased, but with the MINI, you get the most bang for your buck guaranteed. Also keep in mind that the TT and the MINI will give you the best resale value, especially the MINI. at times I wish I had an older 'stang to mod cheaply and make it a monster, but then again it will always be a mustang. good luck with your decision!