R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Cooper or Cooper S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 08:51 AM
MagicLady
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper or Cooper S?

I currently own a Honda CRV (yes I know, SUV icky bad). Since coming back from MOTD I have had a desire to get a MINI. My boyfriend owns an 04 S and is (naturally) completely in love with it. So I need some advice. I've gone from 2 door to 4 door to 2 door and now to an SUV. I've lost the love for the CRV (was never completely crazy about it) as it has been giving me fits almost since I bought it (just a year ago). It is costing me a good bit of money (had to finance 6 years just to get the payments in a reasonable area). Should I take the dive and get a MINI? Another question - I like the sunroof option - is that available only on the S?

I want to ask my boyfriend his advice but I also would want it to be a surprise if I got one (that's how he did me ). Help - advice MINI folks!

I am torn like an old sweater - lead me into temptation or tell me to step away!

Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
As long as you can comfortably afford it, go for it. I have an S, and if you're in a hilly area or you like good acceleration...go for the S.

Rawhyde

Old 05-10-2006, 08:58 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
define your priorities in life, you wouldnt go wrong with either.

Cooper S offers higher performance, but also more money! lower mileage means you gotta fill up earlier, and rides harder.

Cooper is alot of equipment for the money you do get half decent performance, better mileage, and rides softer than the cooper S. of course, you load it up and it can get expensive quick just like a S

ultimately, the difference is that, is the extra power that important?

Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Risu
6th Gear
You just need to find what is important for you. Nobody can really tell you one way or another. Your boyfriend has an S so try it out for a while and see if you like it, then go to a dealership and try a cooper. If they feel about the same then get a cooper. If you like burning rubber at stoplights then go for an S.

Honestly I would love for my girlfriend to get a Cooper, so then we can use the Cooper for road trips and have the S for playing around on an autocross or twisty roads.

It all comes down to whether you feel you need the extra performance an S would bring. Because if you don't stick to the cooper and reap the benifits of lower payments and better fuel econ.

Even with the sportiness factor, these cars aren't really straight line performers, they live for the curves, and both cars will handle fine there.

So yah, its up to you.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:05 AM
MagicLady
2nd Gear
I like to go fast so I like horsepower but I'm pretty satisfied with lower horsepower. I've driven his S before (although it is a stick and I can't drive those very well) and like it. Another question - I like the sunroof option - is that available only on the S?

Thanks for the help you guys! I do appreciate it

Old 05-10-2006, 09:07 AM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
There has been much discussion on this topic, the most common suggestion is test drive both (several times if you have to) and decide which you like better.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:12 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINIs are fine cars and you'll find yourself totally enthralled w/ one even after years and years of ownership. I agree...both models offer much. It depends what you want. Both handle superbly. MCSs are faster and more readily modded. MCs are a subtle, well-balanced car and get better gas mileage.

I've had a total blast w/ my Cooper and would buy another in a heartbeat. Careful option selection can keep the price down which adds even more to the fun of motoring in an awesome MINI....and getting 32-35 mpg!

You'll find everybody loves their own MINI somewhat fanatically. Do some careful thought on this and get the MINI that fits you best. Then enjoy!!

Old 05-10-2006, 10:13 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Treat a MINI (Cooper or S) as a new learning experience. You mentioned that you are not presently very skilled in the shifting arts. Well, grasshopper, there are many solutions for that. The Coop has 5 speeds, while the S has 6 gears to choose from. Now repeat this mantra: "5 speeds good, 6 speeds better."

I can see that you are a quick learner.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:42 AM
MagicLady
2nd Gear
LOL, yes I am a fast learner. I've always pretended to shift in my automatic-maybe I'm a natural. I probably will be making an appointment with an MA at Mini of Nashville (that's the closest). I already know one there as he has sold several to guys in our group (shoutout Rockey City Mini!!!).

Must---test----drive----MINI----must----test----drive---oh sorry

Old 05-10-2006, 11:05 AM
ittybitty
2nd Gear
love my mini cooper - love it - love it!!!!!!!!! The base cooper suits me just fine, had it four years now but I'm trying to sell it in order to get a brand new one. The thought still hurts tho. Love the S's as well, but one of them just might get me in trouble. ALSO, you can get sunroof on either. And once you get used to shifting, you'll never want to go back!!

Old 05-10-2006, 11:07 AM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
To answer the sunroof question...you can get them on either the Cooper or the S! Good luck w/ the decision...I'm trying to do the same thing myself!

Old 05-10-2006, 11:30 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get the Cooper just to upset all the Cooper S owners.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:38 AM
MagicLady
2nd Gear
Buwahahaha! I didn't think about that! Hahahah - that would really get to my boyfriend if I got a Cooper instead of an S like him. Muwahaha!

Yeah, sunroof on either!

Old 05-10-2006, 11:49 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicLady
that would really get to my boyfriend if I got a Cooper instead of an S like him
You wouldn't be the first couple here with both. I think that's where owners best learn to appreciate the strengths of each...spending a good bit of time in the driver's seat. As has been said, it's a bit of a learning experience...and these cars are quite capable.

If "must----test----drive" is playing over and over in your head, then yes, you are a very quick learner!!!

Old 05-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by MagicLady
I want to ask my boyfriend his advice but I also would want it to be a surprise if I got one (that's how he did me ). Help - advice MINI folks!
Ummm... does your boyfriend come on NAM? If so, you're not going to make it much of a surprise.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:56 AM
MagicLady
2nd Gear
Yeah, he does - but he is so busy right now going through Dragon withdrawal and looking at all the pics I don't think he'll notice my little post. If he does, it's ok. He doesn't even know i have an interest in getting one so that will still be a surprise. Either way he will shed a tear that he has converted me

Old 05-10-2006, 12:05 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I've never driven an S or even ridden in an S, and I think my Cooper is the best car in the world. Fuel economy is very important to me, so I never even considered the S, and still wouldn't. It all comes down to what your priorities are.

Whichever you choose, stay away from another 6-year loan! If you need a 6-year loan to afford a car, then you really can't afford it. Would you come out with any cash right now if you sold the CRV, or are you upside-down on it?

Good luck with the decision!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:14 PM
MagicLady
2nd Gear
Well, I went to Kelly Blue Book to see what my CRV was worth. It's only a year old but has 31K on it - it's in good condition according to them so I could get between $12,895-$15,305 out of it depending on whether I traded it in or sold it privately. I won't do another 6 year loan - trust me. My boyfriend has his S financed through MINI and his payments are less than mine and he is paying for 4 years.
Sounds much better to me!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:28 PM
SugarBelly
3rd Gear
Either choice is a fab, Magic one.

I've driven Coopers as loaners. Sporty, lovely fun. No question.

They had the CVT which was fine, but they didn't perform like a manual. A true 5sp would've been better. They're both great cars. Superb. And if you're on the cusp of learning the stick, - stick to it, MagicLady!

I'd look to get a deal on a used one, or wait a bit. New generation MINIs are 6 months away (or so). That's a few years of enhanced BMW engineering you'd want to enjoy.

Now, I love my '03 S. It always puts me in an Ab-Fab mood & I could drive it forever. It's been great to mod & all, but a new generation '07 or '08 is on my list. It'll be a turbo with a new learning curve, but the curves are what MINIs are all about.

MINI will introduce a wagon, too. Coming from a CRV, maybe that'll appeal to you.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:36 PM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Go with the MINI! :-)
Seriously, go with what you can afford. Gas is NOT going to get cheaper.
Most of all, GO WITH THE MINI! :-D
Good luck with your decision - surprise the boyfriend!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:59 PM
MagicLady
2nd Gear
Ok Dave, I think I'll go with the MINI . I've thought about the used MINI route and will go with that option if necessary. Of course I am stubborn and already have a color and package option (and car name) picked out so I may just have to wait.

Now I've got to get to Nashville and test drive a Cooper

Old 05-10-2006, 01:11 PM
SugarBelly
3rd Gear
Look to the Pros.

KBB, NADA, Edmonds, they're all skewed a bit. You need to know what your car is going for at private dealer auctions.

I secured this service for dad as a gift. For $499 he's into the best car deal he's ever been in. Before these guys, he was down in GA looking at all the Zero Down-Upside Down residual deals offered during the car dealer recession.

Now, for less money, he's driving a new BMW, 3 years Free BMW Maintenance & star residual ratings, - rather than the american makes he was considering, which, well, shouldn't be considered be those who work for their money.

Anyways, it was too hard for me to help dad from WI, especially when he needed to negotiate a dealer trade for a high-mile Volvo. The Spies' agent was brilliant. In the end, all dad had to do was hand over keys to his Volvo & drive off in his BMW. Smartest gift I ever got him. Turns out to be a gift for mom, too, as he'll never be so upside-down again.

http://www.autospies.com/services/in...?categoryId=20

My point? They might net you a real deal on an 06. Very few have on MINIs. But, with the next generation coming & your willingness to go with either a MC or MCS, the Spies may put you in the driver's seat [for the deal & the drive].

Old 05-10-2006, 01:13 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
I think these threads always end once the author goes out and drives both back to back, figures out what he/she needs/wants in options, then sees the price difference and deems it worth the money or not.

Do it

mb

Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 PM
MagicLady
2nd Gear
Yep mb you are right. Once I can feel the difference between the Cooper and S I'll know for sure - well that and what they can do for me in price . I've got all the options figured out already, I just have to get in the car and run it up and down the road.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior
1st Gear
CVT option

I really like my Cooper (with CVT option) as the paddles give it a taste of both worlds. I wassn't crazy about the sunroof as it sits back from front seats and was not as noticeable as I would want for the money. Love the sport seats in leather/cloth, red on black. Base radio/cd is great no need to upgrade, and base air cond is very good, better than my old Acura. I have the sports suspension (noy too rough) and don't foget the good stuff, like the Mini umbrella, see Mini.com After a bad day at work, step out into the Mini Cooper and all is well in the world again - its just that good.

Attached Thumbnails Cooper or Cooper S?-into-the-light.jpg  

Quick Reply: R50/53 Cooper or Cooper S?