R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 The Final Word

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Mister_S
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XAlfa,

>>Yet another long-winded and opinionated post .............>>

In all fairness, I warned you up front it was long. You chose to read on and to respond. I felt all the emotionally charged, short outbursts on this topic in other threads needed a well thought-out and elaborative response. Judging by the replies preceding yours, others thought so as well. I guess you didn't. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

>>I read this as one massive self-rationalization. ..........made a purchase decision that is impossible to defend on rational grounds.
>>

No rationalization necessary. My deposit is 100% refundable. I am a very rational and fiscally conservative individual. If I thought there were real quality problems with the MINI, I'd cancel my order tomorrow. Is there an irrational component to my decision, undeniably. The marketplace is littered with well built, reliable, but uninspired autos. No thanks. But the irrational component is not sufficient to squelch my rational side. If I were truly acting on emotion without regard for rationality, I'd be refinancing the house, cashing in the 401k, selling the investments, and sacrificing my left nut to have the Z8 that I could really fall in love with!

>>Why can't we just be honest? Quality is not the MINI's strong point so far. ....>>

I fear you have missed the whole point I tried to make above. No, quality is not the MINI's strong point. But quality is also not the MINI's weak point. And there are postings in these forums which want to vilify the MINI based on an incomprehensive data set. I think people should just look at the big picture. The complaints found in these forums do not represent a statistically significant basis for labelling it an overall bad car.

>>..................you need to accept how you feel toward your future MINI, or your relationship will not survive beyond your first unscheduled service visit.
>>

My whole post was an attempt to extract emotion from the issue and try to look at it in a rational way; to try and discharge an already emotionally charged topic. But you seem intent on recharging the issue with affronts to my rationality. I'm very sorry you've misread me and my post so clearly.

Yes, I am not yet a MINI owner. And if I had the misfortune of getting one of the relatively few cars that had some quality problems, I would be disappointed. But I would work through them with my dealer. No heartbreak, no failed MINI relationships. And I would and will look to the fine people and wealth of information in these forums to help me on my way.

Good luck to you,

James

Old 03-02-2003, 09:17 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Mister_S:
Apologies if my post was taken the wrong way (that would be seriously.) I guess my attempt at tongue-in-cheek, simulated new-age psycho-babble failed miserably.

The MINI obviously does not have any major quality problems, and I was not arguing that quality is its weak point. Initial build quality has been reasonable, but not stellar. You seemed to be reacting to what you percieve as a large number of posts on MCO "villifying" the MINI on the quality dimension. I see the opposite problem, and unfairly lumped you in with its culprits. As I see it, there are too many in this community who would have you (and others considering buying) believe that the MINI is flawless. By current automotive quality standards, it's not even close. AND THAT'S OK!!

I was really just trying to prod you to admit that you love this car, and that's why you bought it. But it's clear that as a "very rational and fiscally conservative" individual, you may be prone to repressing your emotional side. Let's hope a few hunded miles of therapy in your MCS will change this!!

Again, apologies if you took any offense to my earlier post.

XAlfa

[P.S. The Z8 is a nice choice although, to do it right, you would have to let go of the other nut as well and acquire a perfect, matching-color 507. If I thought it would help, I would consider sacrificing some portion of my reproductive organs for a pedigreed Alfa 8C 2900B!]

Old 03-02-2003, 09:52 PM
Mister_S
3rd Gear
XAlfa, your apologies accepted; and please accept mine for not getting the tongue in cheek part. All in MINI land is once again in harmony.

Now that we've both clarified our points, I find we are in 110% agreement. As you point out, there are zealous advocates on both extremes of this topic and reality is somewhere in the middle (sounds like politics). I should just stop reading posts which may well be from some sixteen-year-old looking to stir the hornets nest for a thrill. If a mature adult really thought that poorly of the MINI he/she wouldn't likely be wasting time on these forums.

Of course I love the MINI. I can't wait to own one. I was temporarily suppressing in my posts above to keep emotion out of this discussion. But trust me, I couldn't sleep after my visit to the dealer yesterday (probably why I stayed up till 3AM composing this initial post).

And on the color-matched Z8/507; even if I had a 24 carat ****** surrounding diamond testes, I probably couldn't trade 'em for that! 507s today make Z8s look affordable! Good luck with the Alfa.

Cheers!

James

Old 03-03-2003, 08:23 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Now you're talking! Glad I could crack your super-rational shell!

And you think a 507 is pricey? Check out auction values on my Alfa 8C!