R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MC on Monster Garage Tonight at 8E, 7C on Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw in the TV guide that Monster Garage is converting a "BMW MINI Cooper" into a snowmobile starting at 8e,7c on Discovery Channel.

Old 02-24-2003, 05:21 PM
PittsburghMark
5th Gear
LOL I just came upstairs hoping someone had posted a topic about this, I came across it and this is great stuff!!!!

Old 02-24-2003, 05:34 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
show is on now

Old 02-24-2003, 06:08 PM
truckeecollins
3rd Gear
Just saw Monster Garage and the snowmobile MINI. Kind of funny to watch a red Cooper get chopped apart with mine due here in about three weeks.
Chili Red MCS

Old 02-24-2003, 06:10 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kept on saying, "poor little mini"

His, Chile Red all over: Hers, EB/UJ on top

Old 02-24-2003, 06:26 PM
Nobull60
6th Gear
Old 02-24-2003, 07:39 PM
PittsburghMark
5th Gear
Actually, that Jesse bum totally pissed me off. He tooled around on his motorcycle while those other guys busted their asses for five days. Then he shows up at the last second, does about two seconds of spot-welding, and proceeds to openly and blatantly take the credit for the entire job!!! I wanted to smash his smug-*** face!!!

Old 02-24-2003, 09:11 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
My sentiments also, What a free-loader!

Old 02-24-2003, 09:16 PM
jimbo858
2nd Gear
still though... It was a good episode. I thought that the singing guy who makes "snow-planes" was really funny.

Old 02-24-2003, 09:19 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
He was a class act. tne MINI guy had a rough go of it. Needs to lighten up a bit

Old 02-24-2003, 09:30 PM
8ball
6th Gear
>>Actually, that Jesse bum totally pissed me off. He tooled around on his motorcycle while those other guys busted their asses for five days. Then he shows up at the last second, does about two seconds of spot-welding, and proceeds to openly and blatantly take the credit for the entire job!!! I wanted to smash his smug-*** face!!!
>>
>>

... he's like that on every show .... kind of a lone ranger type ... i guess his west coast chopper reputation means he can belittle anyony he chooses and it's great press for the show , but he bugs the sh*t outta me!
... good thing he had those other guys there to save the MINI !

Old 02-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
>>>>Actually, that Jesse bum totally pissed me off. He tooled around on his motorcycle while those other guys busted their asses for five days. Then he shows up at the last second, does about two seconds of spot-welding, and proceeds to openly and blatantly take the credit for the entire job!!! I wanted to smash his smug-*** face!!!
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>> ... he's like that on every show .... kind of a lone ranger type ... i guess his west coast chopper reputation means he can belittle anyony he chooses and it's great press for the show , but he bugs the sh*t outta me!
>> ... good thing he had those other guys there to save the MINI !

Never seen the show before. Won't ever watch again, but I did get the impression he was the "host," and the other guys were the contestants trying to win a box full of tools. I think they were supposed to make it happen, and he just came by to check on the progress. Either way, a waste of a good car, my time and the wear and tear on my tv. I want a refund.

Old 02-24-2003, 09:49 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
I agree with PittsburghMark 100%, and it's not because I'm also from Pgh. I think Jesse James is an arrogant, thoughtless, testosterone-driven(sorry, guys) idiot. When the going got tough during the show, he splits! What does that tell you?

I don't know if this is true, but the guy who installed my paint protection and who is a major gear head himeself, claims that he heard this James character was busted in the not-too-distant past for coke possesion. Charming.

The concept of monster garage is great, and I have watched it, more for the entertainment value . It's great to see the ingenuity shown by the participants, tho' Mr. "Da Man" James seems to do not a whole helluva lot during these shows, except rev engines , show off his bike collection and minimal welding skills, and then get all the camera time and kudos. I think that sucks.

Ok, I'll stop ranting now.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Yeagy
2nd Gear
Jesse's job is not to build the car for them. His job is to "help" them build it. If that means spot weidling something and thats it...then thats it. On a few of the shows he is there every second because the people have not a clue on how to do something. They 5 people are challenged to do something in their grasp (ie. they work in the snow moble industry,know how to fix up small motors, somthing...) and they are rewarded with i think $1500 in tools, maybe less..i forget...but he is the "host" not a "player in the game"
-yeagy

Old 02-25-2003, 04:59 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
Dude, whataya doin to that MINI...I wish they would have used a Focus...great to see the MINI on the tube though...

Welcome Yeagy!

Old 02-25-2003, 06:45 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
I just have to say it was hard looking at that poor Mini been destroyed. My Mini looks exactly like the one on the show so it probably made me identify with it even more.

It was like looking at one of those open heart surgeries on discovery health. Hard but interesting. Yet people look the same after the surgery while the Mini became Minkenstain (or Herman "cooper" monster)

Old 02-25-2003, 08:41 AM
xpcdoojk
5th Gear
It was g*dawful, pathetic... I don't plan on watching Monster Garage in the future. Horrible, what a waste take a $20000 car add $10000 worth of extra motors etc and what do you have a pile of sh*t! Very lame. The snowmobile was so pathetically slow that they undercrank the film to make it appear fast. Sad, sad sad!

jc

Old 02-25-2003, 08:43 AM
PittsburghMark
5th Gear
for those who didn't get to see...

Old 02-25-2003, 08:44 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i heard that it's going to be in NJ on friday
i'm trying to get all the info for anyone that wants to go see it

Old 02-25-2003, 09:30 AM
mightyMiniz
Banned
Well... If you check out Jesse's Portfolio of accomplishment's you should be impressed...

Actually, he did not just cruise around while they worked, he did all that cutting and fabricating.... Which they glazed over because it was boring...
the other guys are working for a prize and a spot in obvious Auto history...
All his MONSTER's are garaged by Discovery Channel. Who by the way, will use those for promotions until they are beaten dead.... then they will be auctioned off for charity.

I did not like the SnowMobile concept... but it was executed alright...
The Paintjob was gross and didn't seem to achieve the desired effect he was seeking to get... maybe it was the time restraints tho....

Summed up - I like the show.

Old 02-25-2003, 11:49 AM
PigLickJF
1st Gear
I enjoyed it, as I usually dso with that show. Some of the builds are kind of lame, as are some of the "contestants," but I still love to watch them fabricate/problem solve etc.

As for Jesse, as others have said, it isn't really his job to do the work. On some episodes he does a ton, on others, he doesn't. He hates to fail, but it's also not his job to win those people their $3800 worth of tools, either. Also, don't forget that they worked for 8+ hours a day for 6 days, and then had to condense that into less than 1 hour of onscreen time. You can pretty much assume everyone, including Jesse, did a hell of a lot of work that was never shown. Either way, Jesse is one hell of a talented and skilled craftsman, which is how he became such a "legend" in the custom bike world at such a young age.

PigLick

Old 02-25-2003, 12:01 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>Either way, Jesse is one hell of a talented and skilled craftsman, which is how he became such a "legend" in the custom bike world at such a young age.
>>
>>PigLick

I completely agree PigLick! I was actually commenting to a friend while watching this how intelligent he is. Not your average book smarts intelligence, but the ability to take a shape or an idea and graft that in his head so well that he can reproduce it out of metal. The ability to work out problems with smart solutions. Amazing trouble shooter!!

Remember, he's just the host that helps. He's not a contestant, so heck no he's not going to stay all night...he's got a new wifey (ex adult star) to "attend to".

R

Old 02-25-2003, 03:31 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
I really enjoyed the show. Jesse is a good host! He stays out of the way while the team works for him! My phone was ringing with friends making sure I was watching it! I even called my Mum and said turn on your TV and see this car before they take it apart. She was great, said "it sure looks little sitting up there like that".

I love that show!

Old 02-25-2003, 03:45 PM
Red
6th Gear
I missed it! Does anyone know if it will be re-run?

Old 02-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
I just looked up the rerun time so I can set up my VCR!!

Watch it Saturday at 7:00pm Eastern - 6:00pm Central on Discovery !

Quick Reply: R50/53 MC on Monster Garage Tonight at 8E, 7C on Discovery