R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Just made a great deal! You can too!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 02:35 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer put "TBD" (to be discussed) on our contract under the dealer add-on's section... They added about $2000 of stuff i really didn't want, like a GPS tracking system... I called, pissed off, made a compelling argument, and in the end, I'm getting a cover, Floormats, trunk liner (when it comes), a mini Tee-Shirt, and My MINI is being DELIVERED to my home! That means to 2 hour drive (one way)! I can't beleive it! If your dealer adds on something thats not in your contract, you should opt to get a bunch of free stuff too!!!

Old 07-16-2002, 02:44 PM
justjoe
1st Gear
I ordered My Dark silver S on the 28th of June and I just got my second confirmation on the build date and it is week 2 of august with an estimated delivery date if 15 Sept being a GI in europe I get mine at a military sales price of 20,770 for the cooper "S" with all 3 package deals (its good to be overseas)

Old 07-16-2002, 03:23 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>My dealer put "TBD" (to be discussed) on our contract under the dealer add-on's section... They added about $2000 of stuff i really didn't want, like a GPS tracking system... I called, pissed off, made a compelling argument, and in the end, I'm getting a cover, Floormats, trunk liner (when it comes), a mini Tee-Shirt, and My MINI is being DELIVERED to my home! That means to 2 hour drive (one way)! I can't beleive it! If your dealer adds on something thats not in your contract, you should opt to get a bunch of free stuff too!!!

I would have asked for at least TWO 6-CD changers...THAT would have been a good deal!

Old 07-16-2002, 03:55 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that's fair warning for everyone not to sign an open contract!

Old 07-16-2002, 03:57 PM
seemunkee
2nd Gear
A great deal????
Not having to get crap you didn't want anyway?
I'm glad you negotiated for something you wanted but I don't think it is a great deal to have to ask not to buy extras.

Old 07-16-2002, 05:14 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
Well you see, the GPS tracking brings my insurance down $130 per year, and the Auto-bon is guarenteed for 6 years... I'd probally have ended up getting them both anways, but i just didn't like the fact they put it on without asking me about it first! GreatGro, that is a great idea, but I didn't think of it at the time . And Lizzy, It's not too open a contract... If i could scan it, and put it up with this post, you'd understand... I signed off to pay what I ordered for, the TBD is there for you and your dealer to discuss if you want any of the extras like the floor mats, etc.. If it was discussed, i'd have no problem...

Old 07-16-2002, 05:21 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
wow you made out like a bandit on that one! Luckily the dealer didn't add any stuff on that I didn't want (at least not that I know of).....but they also can't tell me anywhere near a time when it will be coming....

Old 07-16-2002, 06:13 PM
MiNi
1st Gear
Thats cool that the car is going to come to your door... I never heard such a thing :smile:

Old 07-16-2002, 06:50 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
Isn't it great!?

Old 07-16-2002, 07:15 PM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
:smile: Not to burst the bubble of excitement here, but I don't want anyone but me putting on those miles! I don't care if it's a 2 hour drive one way. :smile: How exactly are they going to drive a car that isn't thiers? :smile:

Old 07-16-2002, 07:29 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>> :smile: Not to burst the bubble of excitement here, but I don't want anyone but me putting on those miles! I don't care if it's a 2 hour drive one way. :smile: How exactly are they going to drive a car that isn't thiers? :smile:

THat's a VERY, VERY good point TMGRobyn. I like the idea of the delivery but you're right! Two hours - the FIRST two hours worth of miles put on by someone else? That's like buying a demo!

Old 07-17-2002, 11:21 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
No no no, you don't understand! They're not driving it here, (do you think i'd go for somethign liek that?) It's being delivered on a flat-bed tow truck to my door!

Old 07-17-2002, 01:23 PM
carmaxman
Neutral
It's great that you are happy with the "deal" you got. But I am here to tell you that no dealer would deliver a vehicle to your house, 2 hours away, unless he hit a homerun off of you. A good deal would have been getting the vehicle EXACTLY the way you wanted it for the price originally negotiated.

Old 07-17-2002, 01:26 PM
lhowlett
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>It's great that you are happy with the "deal" you got. But I am here to tell you that no dealer would deliver a vehicle to your house, 2 hours away, unless he hit a homerun off of you. A good deal would have been getting the vehicle EXACTLY the way you wanted it for the price originally negotiated. :smile:

Old 07-17-2002, 01:28 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
Like I said earlier, I was going to get those things anyways if it had be negociated. I just got pissed because it haden't been. I don't know how much they could have made off of me though, because at autosite.com it shows how much the dealer makes off of each option you choose. Even with those two additions, the dealer isn't making too much off my car. Then subtract from that the cost to transport it to me, the cover, floormats, and trunk liner, and the amount is narrowed down significantly! Hey, as long as i'm happy

Old 07-26-2002, 03:20 PM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear
This is not directed to any one in particular. I'm just not getting why all the fuss on this web site about price and dealer's making money. Let's face it. BMW undervalued the MSRP on this car and probably did so on purpose to create an initial stir. This car is extremely popular. In some parts of the country it's damn near impossible to find. There are many factors for everyone. Some people can afford the time to shop, drive and fly all over the country and others (like me) cannnot. Time is money after all. Plus there are financing considerations, wait lists, etc. Maybe you need a car now (like I did) If you got what you wanted and maybe had to pay a little premium, what's the big deal? It is manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price. I've bought cars under MSRP and now I paid 22k for my Cooper rather than 22k for a GTI or 25k for a Mustang and I immediately got the exact Mini I wanted. That's the comparison I'm looking at. I paid about 2k over list. What will that amount to over the life of the car, especially since I got (excellent) 5year financing. There's too many apples and oranges being compared here. If you got what you wanted and the car's being delivered, I say Motor on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2002, 04:46 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
>>I ordered My Dark silver S on the 28th of June and I just got my second confirmation on the build date and it is week 2 of august with an estimated delivery date if 15 Sept being a GI in europe I get mine at a military sales price of 20,770 for the cooper "S" with all 3 package deals (its good to be overseas) :smile: Wow...you got a pretty sweet deal...are you in England or are they offered through the same program as the BMWs?

Old 07-27-2002, 12:24 PM
kdog
2nd Gear
>>
>> :smile: Wow...you got a pretty sweet deal...are you in England or are they offered through the same program as the BMWs?

I got the same deal he did. I am in Germany, but the military sales program is available all over Europe, and expanding to the Pacific in 03.

Waiting for my DS/B MCS with everything except nav and parking distance sensor