R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Does auto climate control ever stop blowing???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 12:15 PM
0wen0
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my MCS for about a week now. It actually got cold out here in Colorado. So, I have been using the automatic climate control during my commute to work (20-30 minutes). The thing just keeps blowing. It doesn't seem like it ever slows down the fan. Will it ever slow down? Do I need to be more patient?

In my previous car, once the cabin hit the specified temperature, the fan slowed down and (relative)quiet was restored.

Old 02-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Meenee.Coopah
4th Gear
I've had an MC now for two months, and in my experience, the fan doesn't stop blowing...sometimes, it will slow down, but very slightly. If you want to control it yourself, you must do it manually with the fan speed button.

Old 02-07-2003, 01:41 PM
MiniMiata
1st Gear
I have the automatic a/c, but I prefer to set it manually. No matter how cold it is outside (even near 0), I rarely need to set it above 68 and the lowest fan speed (one wavy line that is). It starts to get too loud above "2 wavy lines" anyway

Sport, Premium and Cold Weather packages
Anthracite interior trim
White bonnet stripes

Old 02-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Paul830
2nd Gear
I also have the Auto climate control... I have heard the fan go from VERY hight speed to High speed on several occasions... But I have never heard the fan go to low or mod speed settings no matter what temp. is selected. It appears that on the auto setting it only runs at High and VERY HIGH fan speed... I hope MINI reads this posting and the other ones regarding this very issue, maybe they will consider changing this for future models... i use the manual settings and LOW fan speed settings... I haven't had my MINI during the summer, so I can't speak to the Auto settings when using A/C.... anyone else know how it performs during the hot sumer months?

Paul

Old 02-07-2003, 01:53 PM
C4
Banned
Another reason why, the simple and reliable manual A/C controls are much better suited for this car.

Old 02-07-2003, 02:06 PM
mikihasa
2nd Gear
we have had a temperature see saw here in fl lately and so when on one day it is cold outside and i set it to blow warm and then the next day when it is warm outside i find that i have to actually reset it to a lower temperature -- even if it is off. its weird. if i don't turn the temperature down that same warm air comes wafting in from the vents and the unit is not even on. i think that's a bug.

i also had some weirdness with the recirculation light being on when the unit was off. i am not sure of the significance of that.

Old 02-07-2003, 02:09 PM
MiniMiata
1st Gear
>>Another reason why, the simple and reliable manual A/C controls are much better suited for this car.

Having never tried the manual controls, I'm curious: is the fan also loud with the manual control version ?

Old 02-07-2003, 02:21 PM
C4
Banned
>>>>Another reason why, the simple and reliable manual A/C controls are much better suited for this car.
>>
>>Having never tried the manual controls, I'm curious: is the fan also loud with the manual control version ?
>>

Yes it still is but at the very least you have full control over the HVAC system and fan speed. You don't get the sudden fan high speed blows that you seem to get in the automatic system.

I like the manual controls for the simplicity and good operation they offer. The MINI really doesn't seem to benefit with an automatic A/C system that is better suited for bigger cars.

The MINI's auto A/C is a pretty crude system, no doubt about it. It looks cool but lacks refinement. I used to have auto A/C in a 1997 Acura 2.5TL sedan and that was an awesome, quiet and effective A/C system.

I was not impressed with the MINI auto A/C and decided to skip over it on our current Cooper CVT and my upcoming '03 MCS.

Old 02-07-2003, 03:10 PM
0wen0
3rd Gear
>>The MINI's auto A/C is a pretty crude system, no doubt about it. It looks cool but lacks refinement. I used to have auto A/C in a 1997 Acura 2.5TL sedan and that was an awesome, quiet and effective A/C system.

The old car that I spoke of was a 1992 Ford Taurus SHO! Its climate control seemed more logical than the MINI's setup!

Another thing, why on Earth does the A/C come on everytime I press the AUTO button? The manual states that this is the way it behaves, but why??? You'd think they could have tied the climate control to the outside thermometer and gave it the ability to simply decide: A/C or no A/C? I still love the car, though.

There is the ability to operate the acc manually, thankfully.

Old 02-07-2003, 03:20 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really see the difference between the Auto CC and the manual system. I mean, if you don't want it blowing loudly, just turn down the fan--thereby essentially making it manual. When I leave mine on Auto it only blasts for about 5 minutes then it calms down most noticeably. Of course, I generally have the stereo on pretty loudly..... :smile: The only thing that really gets me is the gale-force defogger. Mercy.

As far as the AC coming on automatically, my boyfriends Jetta does this and we were both told that it had something to do with preventing window fog-up. *shrugging*

~Kelley

Old 02-07-2003, 03:25 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Air conditioning does more than cool your car. The reason it comes on each time you select Auto is because it assists the "auto" feature. Keeps heat from being dry. I know I'm not explaining it correctly. Another example is like when you have really bad interior fog up and you put on the defroster...it works fastest with A/C on. Same kinda thing.

R

Old 02-07-2003, 04:01 PM
C4
Banned
>>I don't really see the difference between the Auto CC and the manual system. I mean, if you don't want it blowing loudly, just turn down the fan--thereby essentially making it manual. When I leave mine on Auto it only blasts for about 5 minutes then it calms down most noticeably. Of course, I generally have the stereo on pretty loudly..... :smile: The only thing that really gets me is the gale-force defogger. Mercy.
>>
>>As far as the AC coming on automatically, my boyfriends Jetta does this and we were both told that it had something to do with preventing window fog-up. *shrugging*
>>
>>~Kelley

I think the idea behind the Automatic A/C is to have a system that is transparent in operation....push the "Auto" button and the computer does the rest. In the MINI, once you push the "Auto" button you get a blast of cold air and then have to immediately override the fan speed setting manually, pretty much defeating the purpose of having paid an extra $300 buckaroos for a suppossedely fully automatic HVAC system.

Most people buy the auto A/C because it looks cool but soon discover that it is not all that. I think the manual A/C controls are logical, work great and get the job done for proper cabin air flow and air distribution.

Unfortunately in the US if you want the Sunroof (Another questionnable item), trip computer and MFSW, you are forced to get the auto A/C as part of the Premium Package, otherwise it comes out more expensive. If it weren't for the Premium package I am sure not that many people would pay the $300 admission price for the Auto A/C.

This is my opinion, so take it for what is worth.

Old 02-07-2003, 05:19 PM
miniblues
4th Gear
the auto AC sucks..what was BMW thinking about, laugh

Old 02-07-2003, 05:26 PM
jsun
6th Gear
>>the auto AC sucks..what was BMW thinking about, laugh

They were thinking about finding a way to sell us an attractive high end option engineered as inexpensively as possible. Sounds like they got it right.

Old 02-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Nobull60
6th Gear
>>the auto AC sucks..what was BMW thinking about, laugh

I live in South Florida and use mine all the time. And I am glad to say it works very well. It does have the fan run fast and then slow down after the set temp has been reached. Down here we live with the A/C on year round so It is a good place to get REAL ACCURATE ifo from regaurding A/C issues.

Old 02-07-2003, 05:52 PM
miniblues
4th Gear
They were thinking about finding a way to sell us an attractive high end option engineered as inexpensively as possible. Sounds like they got it right.

sounds great on paper...except it doesn't work worth sh*t in reality, laugh!

Old 02-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Fiver
2nd Gear
I wasn't sure I would like it at first, but if you let it do its thing it actually works quite well. Trying to operate it like a manual system will only result in frustration and defeats the purpose anyway. It will only come on full blast if the temperature you set it at is significantly different from the outside temperature. When I use it, I usually set it at 68 or 70 and then leave it alone. At this setting, fan speed is a notch below moderate. It's worked fine for me, plus I like having the option of using it manually if I wish.

Old 02-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Fiver I do the same as you - 68 or 70 - and have no real complaints about the ACC system.

Old 02-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Red
6th Gear
My 1969 Cadillac convertible has climate control, and the A/C comes on at any temperature over 32 degrees. Manual says it is to "condition the air"; to remove moisture.

I would rather have the manual too, but as previously posted, when you get the sunroof, MFSW you might as well go for the whole premium package.

My brother's BMW also goes into uncontrollable gale force when defroster is selected.

Also, on the two examples I tried, the manual controls did not have the positive "click" feel I am used to. Felt a bit dsiconcerting, but I guess I would get used to it. Does anyone else notice this? Care? :smile:

Old 02-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
I've followed a good many threads on MCO and the only consistency I have seen that is whatever feature is being discussed there is no unanimity about it. Some people like it , others don't. BMW, like any other manufacturer, tries to attract customers with features to which they will be attracted. Will they hit it 100% Not bloody likely. How can you assert they didn't get it right if 80% like it but 20% hate it.

Your mommies coddled you too much. Ask the folks in tents in Kuwait about whether the A/C fan is too loud on automatic. I'll wager they'll say, "What fan?"

Old 02-07-2003, 08:28 PM
rygold
5th Gear
I don't like the auto system and I rarely use it.

It's just too damn noisy.

The fan runs quieter if you select "feet and vents" instead of just "feet".

Old 02-07-2003, 09:57 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I truly loathe the auto AC. It's actually making me consider trading in my car for a new one, exactly the same but without this BS climate control system. How can this have gotten to market this way? It does exactly the opposite of what it is supposed to do - it forces you to spend MUCH MORE time screwing around with the controls in an attempt to get what you want. I will forever hate Herb Chambers MINI of Boston for weaseling this into my car. I would pay $300 right now to have this switched out for the manual controls.

Did I mention that I don't care for the auto AC?

>>Your mommies coddled you too much. Ask the folks in tents in Kuwait about whether the A/C fan is too loud on automatic. I'll wager they'll say, "What fan?"<<

Give me a break.

Old 02-07-2003, 10:36 PM
Toast
1st Gear
In my last car, (99 Olds Intrigue GLS) the auto climate control seemed perfect. It wouldn't come on at all until the car was warmed up (in the summer it would come on right away though - which was good) and it always seemed to be adjusting for the conditions - like on a cold sunny day, it would blow heat out of the floor vents and a bit of cool air out of the top vents. And it also had seperate driver and passenger temperature controls.

I am a bit disappointed with the MINI's take on this. While I find the car superior in many ways, the climate control is not one of them. It really should be as simple as set a temperature and forget about it.

One thing I was wondering is if it is possible for a software change to make any changes on the auto climate control. If so, there may be hope for us yet...

Old 02-08-2003, 07:02 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Perhaps I got a lemon--that or I'm really missing something as my ACC IS as simple as setting a temp and forgetting about it.

Not to brag or anything....

Old 02-08-2003, 01:48 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Ran the ACC at 68 today even though it was 32 outside becuase the car was just STUFFY. For the first time ever when I let the ACC take control the fan didn't run on high (it even kicked it down a notch from where I had it) and it kept the car quite comfortable. Who knows maybe the trick is to keep the thing set below 70 for proper operation.

Have ACC on my wife's GMC Jimmy, and we had it on the Jimmy that the MINI replaced, used to set it on 72 in the summer and 76 in the winter and completely forget about it. I was expecting the same thing with the MINI...I'll figure it out, I'm not convinced that the system really performs as poorly as we think. It may just be a matter of finding that "sweet spot" to run it at.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Does auto climate control ever stop blowing???