R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 HK Sound System vs Regular System??

Old 01-30-2003, 01:59 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone tell me what the differences between the standard and Harmon Kardon sound system are? Thanks. Does it come with a disc changer or something?

Old 01-30-2003, 02:04 PM
SkAlex
4th Gear
The H/K has a 6 disc in-dash player* and eight speakers in place of six.

*post edit: I'm dumb...no 6 in-dash

Old 01-30-2003, 02:24 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>The H/K has a 6 disc in-dash player and eight speakers in place of six.

Are you sure about the 6 disk in-dask player? I've gotta see that :smile:

Old 01-30-2003, 02:26 PM
kgladstone
3rd Gear
Yeah, that almost made my heart stop - I wish that were true. But as far as I know H/K is 8 speakers instead of 6.

Old 01-30-2003, 02:31 PM
indigo
2nd Gear
I just got my MCS 2 weeks ago with the H/K. The dash CD is single, but you can get the 6-disk in the boot as an option.

I've never listened to the stock system, but the H/K does sound great.

I hope that helps.

~Chris

Old 01-30-2003, 02:34 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the HK dash unit play MP3 discs?

Old 01-30-2003, 02:37 PM
wactuary
2nd Gear
>>The H/K has a 6 disc in-dash player and eight speakers in place of six.

Err... the 6 disk changer is new to me! I sure hope it comes with this, but I don't think so.

AFAIK, the H/K system shares the same head unit as all '03 US cars (not sure if you have the option to select tape deck, however). It adds to it

1) DSP box (I think this is located in the dash, but not sure. It may not even be a separate box.,
2) an amplifier (which is located in the rear behind a trim pannel) and
3) it changes the drivers all around.

In the back, the 6x9s are replaced by a 2 driver system designed specifically to reproduce low and mid bass. It is apparently designed to improve the sound in the front seats, not to optimize the car for 4 passenger listening.

The DSP unit is supposed to have a few different features. What is most interesting to me is the "Driver Mode". This focuses the sound stage around the driver (at the expense of the passenger's listening quality). It does this by both speaker level volume and delay so that the sound from every speaker hits the listener as though they were placed equidistant from the user. I think it adds a few other things like Stadium or whatever that are able to make it sound like your car stereo is located in a cathedral or something, too. :smile:

MINI hasn't really been very forthcoming with real details on what it includes. For instance, I don't think they have made any power claims on the amplification. From what I've read and heard, it is a really nice upgrade (I got it), but it is not the equivalent of a full aftermarket stereo replacement. The new sound has a full and rich bass, but again, its not a 10" sealed sub in the boot.

Hope that helps!

Wactuary

Old 01-30-2003, 02:37 PM
SkAlex
4th Gear
OOO sorry guys...I'm stupid. :???: It is only one.

Old 01-30-2003, 08:20 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
I have the standard stereo with cassette player in my MC, and have listened to the HK. If I order an 03, I will get the HK. I think one difference is a 30W vs a 20W amp, and of course 8 vs 6 speakers. The HK does can be ordered with cassette player.
Listening to the HK, there is definately more power and clarity. The "driver" adjustment, and the different settings (orchestra, etc) were a real plus for different radio stations and CD's. I still don't think the HK has a great sound, compared with say, the Monsoon system in the VW-- but the shape of the interior of the mini is an obstacle vs the almost perfect interior of the bug. I haven't been very happy with the standard stereo, and the HK is a clear improvement.
my 2cents

Old 01-30-2003, 09:03 PM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
NYIllustrator
I called MINIUSA about the wattage of the HK system I have in my MINI. They could not tell me what the wattage was, but would check on it and get back to me. The standard stereo has 6 speakers and 15 watts per channel. As soon as MINIUSA gets back to me on the HK system wattage I will post it. *** Motor On ***
Charles

Old 01-30-2003, 09:03 PM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
Hope this helps
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 01-31-2003, 04:31 AM
CharlesWil
5th Gear

FYI

Hi Charles!

I found the information regarding the Harmon Kardon sound system that you requested.
The Harmon Kardon has a total of eight speakers:
o Two Front Tweeters
o Two Front Loudspeakers
o 2x2 Rear Loudspeakers
The total system power is 320 watts and it utilizes an external audio amplifier located in the right rear cargo area.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any more questions.

LET'S MOTOR.
Jen Schuelke
MINI Division
Customer Relations

Old 01-31-2003, 05:15 AM
Katiedidmini
4th Gear
Does anybody know about the mp3 deal? I thought I read somwhere that the HK upgrade would have a like a plug for your mp3 player

Old 01-31-2003, 06:50 AM
wgb113
1st Gear
So far no one has been able to find/use the MP3 "Aux" input. Supposedly all '03 Cooper head units have them but they have not been activated yet. As my MINI won't arive until June, I hope they get it worked out by then. The thought of buying a portable 20GB MP3 player and being able to have almost all of my CD's in the car is VERY exciting.

Old 01-31-2003, 07:00 AM
OttoPequeno
3rd Gear
>>Does anybody know about the mp3 deal? I thought I read somwhere that the HK upgrade would have a like a plug for your mp3 player

Katiedidmini,

I doubt you will be able to play discs with songs in raw mp3 format in the CD. You will need to convert the song files to the standard music format playable in 99% of CD players. The one caveat: it makes each song a larger file and seriously reduces the number of songs you can stick on a CD.

A way around it is to get a portable mp3 player (I bought an iPod and love the thing. It can theoretically carry 4000 songs). My dealer told me there will be an inexpensive adapter that will need to be purchased and will be available very soon (if not already). It will run to the glove box and plug into the headphone jack of your mp3 player. I am going to see my dealer this weekend and will see if I can get more info and will report back.

-Otto

P.S. Didn't mean to step on your toes, wgb113. I started doing my post before you posted your post.

Old 02-01-2003, 05:23 PM
JeremyPo
2nd Gear
Hey Otto, any news on that mp3 adapter for the minis? I have 3 days to make up my mind for my final order and I really want to get the HK sound system, but would really love to know if it will have that mp3 adapter like the stock 03 head is supposed to have. I recently bought an ipod and would love to connect it to the system as well. Many of you have talked about the Blitzsafe adapter and i was curious to what that did. If any of you guys have already connected an ipod to your mini and you have the HK system, how was it done? All help would be appreciated. THanks...

Old 02-01-2003, 06:15 PM
brick
Neutral
The h/k single disc CD player in the Mini will not play mp3 formatted discs... I tried. Sorry guys.

On a totally unrelated note, check out the pic. I just fished last night:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co.../cfj.sized.jpg

Old 02-01-2003, 06:39 PM
wactuary
2nd Gear
I've been calling weekly about the MP3 player jack. If for no other reason than to reinforce to MINIUSA that this is important to many and something they promised to us in their marketing materials.

Most recent call (Thursday?) they said they pushed the projected date back into March at the earliest. In another thread in the Audio forum, I have said I'm going try to make my own once I get my car. I'll post my results as I get them. Need to get the car and a warmish day in NJ first.

Wactuary

Old 02-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
I'm looking forward to taking delivery and blasting Hybrid on my HK system... ehe... I should probably get an iPod or the like as well... MP3s are one of the best things to happen to sound in a few decades, I feel. The bands that we rip them off from may not think so, though...

Old 02-02-2003, 05:47 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I don't think anyone has made a direct comment about the standard audio system. Well in MHO, I'm not happy with the sound. I like many others are installing after market equipment that will make our MINI's audio sound as well as the car drives. Plus I will have MP3 capability.

Old 02-02-2003, 07:02 AM
miniron
2nd Gear
Posted last week in several threads.....

Date:
Mon Jan 27, 2003 08:56:20 AM PST

Subject:
RE:Aux jack in Harmon kardon radi [#55025]

Hello Ron. Thanks for writing into MINI via the Owners Lounge. Where if you have mojo, then you are a VIP.

Actually, all 2003 MINI Cooper and Cooper S models will have the input jack on the back of the selected stereo head unit that will be able to play MP3 players, CD players, PDAs and other desired equipment by the motorist. If your authorized MINI Dealer is unaware of where this feature is or how to access it they should consult the technical support hotline that we have set up for the entire authorized MINI Dealer network for assistance. They will instruct them on where this feature is and how to access it.

Due to the the unusual design of the input jack these accessory equipment items can't be plugged in directly to the outlet for usage. MINI is currently designing an adaptor for the input jack to be used with this equipment, which will be mounted either in the glovebox, dash or somewhere on the console. This should be available within the next 30-60 days.

Please stay in touch with your authorized MINI Dealer and with us here at MINI Division for the availability of this adaptor.

Additionally, the CD player or optional CD changer can play CD R and CD RW disks.

For additional questions, please continue to stay in touch with us via the Owners Lounge.

LET'S MOTOR.

James Frost
MINI Division
Customer Relations

Old 02-02-2003, 06:30 PM
mpemburn
4th Gear
Good gods am I confused! So, my new MINI with the standard audio system will have 6? speakers? Seems like an awful lot. Hope it has a radio, at least. Can't be drivin' around with no NPR And phew! a hookup for a PDA?? What will I do with this? Have my phone list sung to me in six channel stereo?

Mark of Pemburnia
(who often listens to silence)

Old 10-15-2009, 09:00 AM
tallieho2525
1st Gear
Why ?? didn't U lexvr an address 4 someone to contact for help, if U know so much??!!

Old 10-15-2009, 01:42 PM
ddawson
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tallieho2525
Why ?? didn't U lexvr an address 4 someone to contact for help, if U know so much??!!
Wow 6 year old thread.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:00 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's the only difference worth caring about: the H/K system sounds much better. I am sure that no car stereo shop could upgrade the stock system to match the H/K for $500.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 HK Sound System vs Regular System??