R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Wife says it's time but no Coopers to be had!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 04:58 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife says it's time but no Coopers to be had!

ARRGGHHHH! MrsDiff finally said "yes, it is time to trade the Stratus and get a MINI."

So it is off to the computer to check the D&R inventory. Well it would be nice if D&R actually updated their web page. Despite listing 9 Coopers on the web page, turns out that they have a single MC in stock! Unfortunately they have loaded it up with nearly $4,000 worth of Dealer ADP. You know... Larger wheels, Windo tint, and aftermarket custom leather seats. My MA couldn't even send me a picture of the actual car as he was swamped with people looking to ditch the SUV gas guzzlers for something that gets good mileage.

Now tinted windows are fine but the price they get... Wheels, No Thanks! Aftermarket leather, absolutely not. Especially when they will not deal on price. And I doubt that I could get $2000 worth of free "freebees" (glove box organizer, Parcel Shelf, Floor mats, Hats, clothing, Aerokit) etc.

So I go to the MINIUSA web page and check all around the mid west. NOTHING. To the NAM forums and Dealers, Strike 3.

Nobody has a MC with 5 speed. They have tons of convertables (canvas will not save your butt in a roll over) and S models in stock. (All way over $26K) My budget will not allow that.

Wifey also likes the Vibe/Matrix. Local dealer in Avon has a Vibe GT for $21,500 More HP than a non JCW S and has far more usable space. Plus the GM employee pricing and an additional $1,000 because we are non GM owners. Verry Tempting....

Old 09-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Place your order! The wait isn't that long and you control the options and the price.

:smile:

Old 09-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Zman
3rd Gear
vibe size and discounts are tough to decline

however, totally different car. cooper will be fun every time, and hold resale much better. vibe will be more practical and cheaper.

you have to drive both - hopefully you have by now.

fly out to albany, ny, visit keeler, they have a few in stock with no b.s. markup. drive it home for a "mini adventure"

Old 09-21-2005, 05:13 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
Recommend you try Mini OF THE HAMPTONS i purchased my car from them.Best experience I've had with a dealer anywhere.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hank Aaron MINI in Atlanta had quite a few Coopers on the lot and ready to go a few weeks ago. The salesman even hinted that I might get a couple hundred dollars discount if I bought one off the lot. . . .

However we ordered one and the wait will only end up being 6 weeks from order to delivery. Tell your wife to wait just 2 months and she can have the Cooper of her dreams!

Old 09-21-2005, 05:20 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My CR/W 05 can be had for $20,500.

12k, 5 Spd, 1 day old tires, S lites, S Body Conversion, Grey Leatherette, Lots of Extras.

Let me know if you might be interested.

:smile:

Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 PM
TooTall
4th Gear
DrDiff, you gotta call the dealers, they seem to have some agreement to not post their inventories on their web pages. Granted, the gas prices may have changed things, but when I bought on Aug 6th, Moterwerks MINI in the Twin Cities had I think 3 Coopers in stock, list price, not heavily optioned (no MCS's though).

Old 09-21-2005, 05:38 PM
SB
6th Gear
Good luck on finding one on the lot. The last time I talked with my MA, last week, they sold almost their whole inventory. The MA's were even told to stop offering the free rubber mats as people are wanting to get into small cars right now so the manager said no freebies. MINIofnashville.com has 3 MCS's, one being low $23k, but no MC's. You might want to keep an eye on their inventory as they usually keep it updated.

I agree with Yucca about ordering. You get the color combination and options you want and skip those things you don't need so you can save a little. That's what I have done twice. My current MCS that is on order is set to arrive in the US on the 5th of October. I ordered it August 29th.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:32 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
You do not want to get a Vibe over an MC, trust me. Just trust me, doc .

Old 09-21-2005, 06:38 PM
effusant
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might catch some flak for suggesting it, but have you tried a Mazda6?

I was nearly sold on it, with their best price for the v6 model after rebates about 2 grand less than a Mini. It's pretty much as much fun to drive, has a good sleeper style, strong, revvy engine, a really tight suspension, and is one of the only midsize v6 sedans available with a stick.

In case anyone's curious, the main reason I decided against the 6 is that it wasn't quite roomy enough for me. With the seat far enough back for me to drive comfortably, the b-post occluded my shoulder space. It shouldn't be a problem for anyone 6'3 and under. I was also minorly disappointed by the lack of low-end torque, but it was honestly less of a fault than teh same trait inthe Mini.

Anyway, if you can't find a Mini, it's a pretty solid competitor, IMO. You might be surprised. I was.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:42 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-21-2005, 07:32 PM
MOTORN
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
ARRGGHHHH! MrsDiff finally said "yes, it is time to trade the Stratus and get a MINI."

So it is off to the computer to check the D&R inventory. Well it would be nice if D&R actually updated their web page. Despite listing 9 Coopers on the web page, turns out that they have a single MC in stock! Unfortunately they have loaded it up with nearly $4,000 worth of Dealer ADP. You know... Larger wheels, Windo tint, and aftermarket custom leather seats. My MA couldn't even send me a picture of the actual car as he was swamped with people looking to ditch the SUV gas guzzlers for something that gets good mileage.

Now tinted windows are fine but the price they get... Wheels, No Thanks! Aftermarket leather, absolutely not. Especially when they will not deal on price. And I doubt that I could get $2000 worth of free "freebees" (glove box organizer, Parcel Shelf, Floor mats, Hats, clothing, Aerokit) etc.

So I go to the MINIUSA web page and check all around the mid west. NOTHING. To the NAM forums and Dealers, Strike 3.

Nobody has a MC with 5 speed. They have tons of convertables (canvas will not save your butt in a roll over) and S models in stock. (All way over $26K) My budget will not allow that.

Wifey also likes the Vibe/Matrix. Local dealer in Avon has a Vibe GT for $21,500 More HP than a non JCW S and has far more usable space. Plus the GM employee pricing and an additional $1,000 because we are non GM owners. Verry Tempting....
Call Amy Mitchell @Cincy MINI 513-271-8700 She will help you.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:44 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
Look for in-bound dealer stock

Call dealers and ask for inbound stock. Cars they ordered for stock and have not made it to the lot. That is how I found the exact car I wanted when and was only a few weeks out.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:15 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrDiff
...snip...

They have tons of convertables (canvas will not save your butt in a roll over)

...snip...
Actually, the MINI convertibles are one of the few soft tops that seem properly designed for rollover safety! Those cheap looking chrome hoops behind the rear seats are covering what turns out to be some pretty good structural components. The windshield frame has been beefed up structurally over the tintops as well. There are even a few (thankfully, only a few) reports of convertible rollover incidents with occupants emerging without traumatic injury. Granted, the convertibles have their own issues - but I just wanted to point out that MINI has designed their convertibles to address the stated concern .

Good luck finding what you want... Part of the scarcity may be due to the new model year switchover, or perhaps even to the storms in the Atlantic slowing down deliveries to dealers.

I would strongly recommend against going to the dark side and getting a GM product. (Or most any Detroit brand, for that matter.) There are reasons why these companies are not doing well, and it's not due to external factors.

Even disregarding my general bias against domestic cars, there's one exceptionally important reason to hang in there for a MINI: The online community is unmatched in generosity and knowledge, and diversity! This kind of enthusiasm and support is not common; there are a few marques out there that may have such support, but our community is truly unique!

_Dave_

Old 09-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
I would easily wait the 5-6 weeks to get the perfect car before I would buy a "maybe". MINI is more fun and a better value. You get the community, the fun, the near absense of depreciation... it's good all around.

MINICCI rocks, too... they make owning a MINI so much fun.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:03 PM
gjpundsack
2nd Gear
Call Aka Demesa at MINI of the Woodlands and have him find you one in the pipeline that is unsold and have him divert it to his dealership as he did for me.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
That's exactly what D&R did for me. Found a car, on a boat and had it sent to them for me to buy.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:24 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
You've waited (and lusted ) this long... don't blow it now! Even if you end up ordering from scratch, you're talking about waiting for maybe two months. Seems like a long time, yes -- but chances are you'll own the car for at least that many years. Would you rather spend the next three years driving a MINI or a Vibe???

Good luck .

Old 09-22-2005, 12:09 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Come on. You've been a member here almost a year and the 6-8 week (on average) wait for a MC is too much? I lusted after a MCS from the day I saw the first picture and just took delivery 3 weeks ago. IF I had to do it over I would not even think about getting a clunker out of the rust belt instead of my baby, Thompson.

If price is really enough to swing you from a Mini to a Vibe (funny, I thought they actually named this car after what the driveline seemed to do when I drove a friends) then maybe you'll be happy. Otherwise suck it up and order exactly what you want. I will betcha 6 months from now you're gonna regret the instant gratification of owning a sweet deal on an American car more than you will say "that wait was just not worth it" if you get the MC.

Just my .02 cents.

Joel

Old 09-22-2005, 05:05 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
I drive the Cooper, my wife drives the Matrix. The Matrix is great for what she needs it to do (haul her teaching stuff and our child), the Cooper is great for what I need it for (blasting the back roads to work).

Old 09-22-2005, 05:15 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Suprisingly, even to myself, I had fun anticpating the build, boat ride, and transport to dealer of my MINI. I was able to follow it on line, day to day. I've even saved the shipping manifest records from dock to dock. I passed the time becoming Mini-wise, cruising the aftermarket websites and starting acquaintances by chatting on NAM and MINI2 with owners and owners to be.

I was just like a kid waiting for Santa.

And because I got my Mini exactly the way I wanted it instead of settling for unwanted extras and second/third color choice, it was well worth the wait.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:24 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
In spite of the fact that DrDiff has been a member here almost 2 years he sounds more like a troll.

Buy a MINI or buy a Vibe/Matrix, who really cares!? He sounds like someone who likes to hear himself talk and is most likely going to complain about something, anything. After 22 months on this site and he is complaining about price and availability you have to question his sincerity.

JOHO

Old 09-22-2005, 06:46 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Uhhh i waited 3 years lusting over a MINI.. because i didn't want to fork over the money for it yet. I was on mini2 for maybe 2 years, never posted a thing but read up on everything.

i was lucky to find the exact mini i would have ordered, and bought it the day i saw it at the dealership. give him time... he'll eventually get one.

or just keep on PMing me about nothing...

Old 09-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Absorbine_Sr
3rd Gear
I own a 2003 Matrix XRS - the 8200 RPM sport version. You do not want a Matrix or Vibe over a MINI. When I get in the Matrix now, after 9200 motoring miles, I have to wonder why I thought it was a sporty vehicle. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the Toyota, and the wife and I love it for its utility, bulletproof nature and general good looks. But it now feels like a truck when I drive it.

And I kind of agree with Bilbo-Baggins - it seems that if you really want a MINI you will find a way to work it out. Seems like it's now poop or get off the pot time.

A_Sr.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:03 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Good Doctor:

I have just the prescription for you.

1) Place your order for a new MC (Indy, Cincy, Columbus or Chicagoland dealers).

2) put your Dodge up for sale in the paper

3) Your tau will make the Dodge sell when your MINI is ready.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Wife says it's time but no Coopers to be had!