R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini Broken into/ now to sell or not to sell

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Elkerster
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Broken into/what to do?

So Wensday I walked out to KITT to find my worst nightmare come true. Car broken into, they managed to get in thru the window that was only open a hair without breaking anything. ERRRR they cleaned the car out Ipod, wallet, insruance info, keys to the company I work for. You name it they got it. Now I know you all thinking why was my wallet and ipod in the car car. I went inside for about 20 but got a major headache went to lay down and fell asleep.

So anyway I figured a one time thing they got what they wanted oh well **** happens I'm getting my money back from the charges on my credit card I learned a lesson. Right.. wrong! So now I leave my windows and sun roof closed all the time.
This morning I walked out to my car to find the crome covering over the driver's side door handle riped off and several scratched around the handle which weren't there before. This leaves me to believe someone was trying to get into my car again. Why I dunno cause there is nothing left in there form the other night. Now I don't know weather to keep it or not. I would get an alarm but if someone is making this kind of effort on my car I'm worried they will now what wires to cut. Sooo pissed right now and I don't know what to do. I don't want to have to give up my mini.

Old 05-22-2005, 02:45 PM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
That is totally f__K; I hope you get this people who can’t keep their hand off your MINI. Maybe you can set a trap by waiting to see who this guy is or maybe have your camera connect to a sensor light. Which will come on went ever someone come near your mini and record the ever move but if I have my way once I find out who this person is I will make sure he pay big time. It’s kind of sad to talk this way but some thing got to be done. Good luck on your decision on what to do next but I hope you will keep you MCS. Just too much fun to give it up.

Old 05-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Since it was so profitable the first time, the original thief may have come back. They're not that good at being theives or they'd take the whole car, or could've gotten in the second time. Get an alarm. Enjoy your car. Don't let some pondscum ruin your day...

Old 05-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Elkerster
2nd Gear
Well I live in an apartment complex that fairly well let, that's what I don't get. These guys whoever they are have ***** that's for sure. To my knowledge a mini is hard to take without either the key or a tow truck. But I'm worried since they now have my vin the may get a key. I dunno know if it's the same people just getting sick of my poor car being molested.

Liz

Old 05-22-2005, 02:53 PM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
I'm sorry Good things will happen to good people so don't worry.

Old 05-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about the damage, loss, etc., that may or may not continue - but as far as the car itself, with the laser cut key and the radio code ignition sequence, MINIs and BMWs are among the most difficult vehicles to steal. I have seen a handful of "attempted" MINI/BMW thefts that were foiled.

I suspect that it was as Minimad suggests - since it was a big payoff once, why not try again. As for the number of retries.... anybody's guess.

How feasible is a security/webcam?

Old 05-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Elkerster
2nd Gear
my digital camera can do movie mode so i think the next few nights I'm going to do that cause right now I have no money thanks to the first break in. I know minis are hard to steal but the first robbers have my vin and tho they just can't go into any shop and get a copy, all they have to do is know someone that can do it. So will see but if I catch them there will be hell to pay.

Liz

Old 05-22-2005, 04:11 PM
BriNYU
3rd Gear
If you're going to keep it, then definetely a good aftermarket alarm would be a worthwhile investment.

I've got a Compustar Alarm system on my MINI - 2 way remote control with lcd screen that can show you which part of your car was disturbed, the temperature in the car, etc. I can be alerted or remote start the car from more than a mile away with the Spread Spectrum Technology. There are a few companyies (the biggest of which is Directed Electronics, makers of Viper, hornet, etc, alarm systems) that offer similar features.

Very sorry to hear about someone violating you like that. I know how you feel. About 2 weeks ago my U2 Ipod, Phone, PSP, wallet, MINI car keys and bluetooth earpiece were stolen from my MASTERLOCKED locker at the gym.

Best of luck to you and your MINI!

PS - BY THE WAY, when my things got stolen from the gym, AAA had to come and try to open my car (I happen to have a spare set of keys that kept hidden in there). It was FRIGHTENING how easy it was for them to break into the car. All they did was wedge ...wait, i dont want the technique to be public knowledge, for all our sakes. In any case, two very simple tools you could make from stuff at Home Depot (and i'm not talking about a Jimmy) and about 1 minute was all it took to get in there.

Old 05-22-2005, 04:19 PM
minimonkey
4th Gear
I you had the OEM Alarm from the beginning, the alarm would have went off either before they got in - or right as the door was opened. This probably would have made them run... you might not have lost so much stuff.

Get an alarm... keep the car... move on. Bummer that it happened... it sucks when someone violates your stuff.

Old 05-22-2005, 04:25 PM
BriNYU
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minimonkey
I you had the OEM Alarm from the beginning, the alarm would have went off either before they got in - or right as the door was opened. This probably would have made them run... you might not have lost so much stuff.

Get an alarm... keep the car... move on. Bummer that it happened... it sucks when someone violates your stuff.
I dont know if that would be the case, them being scared by the alarm. I know from my own personal experience that most people seem to ignore the noise that alarms make.

With the TWO WAY alarm, I think you'd stand a better chance at protecting the MINI yourself. I have sprinted out to my car on a few occasions when my two way alarm remote pager alerted me (luckily , it has just been from people putting there hands to the window to check out the inside of the car). But had they been would-be theives, I would've whomped their asses, lol.

Old 05-22-2005, 10:53 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Elkerster
But I'm worried since they now have my vin the may get a key.
Liz
I believe the MINI dealer will require proof of registration and an ID before they'll cut a key, so you should be OK. If you're still worried about this possibility, you might call the dealership to find out what their procedure is, and to alert them to your concerns.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:19 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG!!!! I'm soooooooooo sorry and angry to hear this!!! What's wrong with people?? I think the heat or time of the year has got thieves working over time! I just discovered a couple days ago that someone tried to break into my garage by wrenching off the door handle leading from outside,but a small deadbolt stopped them in their tracks.

Sad if they got in, cause my MINI and all my detailing equipment was there. I've now beefed up that door to prevent any further breakins and the cops didn't even want to know about it--they just said to warn my neighbors.

Hope things fare better for you. I hope you can sell or trade in your MINI for a new one, and or possibly move to another place! My brother had a VW GTI that was stolen 6 times from in front of his apartment--despite all the things he had--hood lock, ignition kill, alarm system, etc...

As much as we all obsess about our MINI's, I'd be worried sick after the first time I got violated wondering if my baby was ok.

Good luck and please keep us informed of your decision!!

Richard

Originally Posted by Elkerster
So Wensday I walked out to KITT to find my worst nightmare come true. Car broken into, they managed to get in thru the window that was only open a hair without breaking anything. ERRRR they cleaned the car out Ipod, wallet, insruance info, keys to the company I work for. You name it they got it. Now I know you all thinking why was my wallet and ipod in the car car. I went inside for about 20 but got a major headache went to lay down and fell asleep.

So anyway I figured a one time thing they got what they wanted oh well **** happens I'm getting my money back from the charges on my credit card I learned a lesson. Right.. wrong! So now I leave my windows and sun roof closed all the time.
This morning I walked out to my car to find the crome covering over the driver's side door handle riped off and several scratched around the handle which weren't there before. This leaves me to believe someone was trying to get into my car again. Why I dunno cause there is nothing left in there form the other night. Now I don't know weather to keep it or not. I would get an alarm but if someone is making this kind of effort on my car I'm worried they will now what wires to cut. Sooo pissed right now and I don't know what to do. I don't want to have to give up my mini.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:55 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minims
I believe the MINI dealer will require proof of registration and an ID before they'll cut a key, so you should be OK. If you're still worried about this possibility, you might call the dealership to find out what their procedure is, and to alert them to your concerns.
This is correct. It would be VERY difficult, if not impossible, for the thieves to use your VIN to get a key for your MINI. The dealerships are very careful about cutting keys and will require more info and ID than the thieves will have. I wouldn't worry about them getting a key made.

Clover

Old 05-23-2005, 02:38 AM
weeone
1st Gear
Sorry to hear about your car. You VIN is always exposed so that is nothing to be worried about. Anybody can write it down at anytime. No dealer is going to cut a key without proof of ownership.

Make sure you file a fraud alert with one of the credit reporting agencies. This will help you from becoming a further victim of identity theft. I know hindsight is 20/20 but crimes like this are opportunity crimes. Even if it's for only for a few minutes, items left out for crooks to see are invitations.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:54 AM
C4
Banned
Sorry to learn about your break in experience. I personally never leave any valuables inside the car. Keys, wallet, phone, money are always with me (Even with a lockable glovebox). Items left in plain sight view inside the vehicle are an invitation to thieves to smash your window and have a field day.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of valuables people left in plain view in parked cars. Cellular phones, wallets, keys, etc. Then they wonder why their cars get broken into!

Unfortunately we all live in an insecure world and therefore we have to take common sense precautions to avoid unsavory events such as this.

Old 05-23-2005, 04:08 AM
Boondox
3rd Gear
Major bummer! But I don't understand the part about getting rid of the Mini. Do you think another car would be less likely to be broken into? More likely it would be broken into more easily...and stolen!

Old 05-23-2005, 04:13 AM
minihoopercooper
3rd Gear
i would move - i wouldn't sell my mini

Old 05-23-2005, 04:20 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Boondox
Major bummer! But I don't understand the part about getting rid of the Mini. Do you think another car would be less likely to be broken into? More likely it would be broken into more easily...and stolen!
Boondox may be right. You are frusterated, of course, and I would be too. but there's no reason to give up the car you love. Perhaps an angry note to the theives that you could place on the drivers window each night for a while. Mmmmm... what would it say?....

Old 05-23-2005, 04:30 AM
nightbirdflyin
2nd Gear
They used to hang horse thieves in that part of the country.

My experience is that people like this have nothing to lose.
You do.
It would be nice to confront them, or even beat them to a pulp. But people with nothing to lose come back, or carry guns.

I vote for a sophisticated alarm.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:02 AM
ncdave
5th Gear
Under no circumstances should you part with your MINI because of the actions of a lowlife. I would however, take AC's advise and do a stake-out (a video camera would be good) You'll get to call 911, nail the SOB, and watch it all on tape with a cold beer.

Alarms are a deterrent and foil most casual theives but really won't stop a professional who is intent on getting your car (although this is unlikely in your case). I still have vivid memories of having a (then) state-of-the-art alarm system installed in my wife's car only to be greeted by an empty parking space in the morning the day after it was put in.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:05 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minimad
Since it was so profitable the first time, the original thief may have come back. They're not that good at being theives or they'd take the whole car, or could've gotten in the second time. Get an alarm. Enjoy your car. Don't let some pondscum ruin your day...
Also if it IS the same guy(s), they don't think you have an alarm. An alarm COULD catch 'em in the act.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:06 AM
kesh420
4th Gear
I had a similar experience in Atlanta GA.

Mini was actually stolen and taken for a joy ride then dumped at a gas station. I found out later on that they had the wallet key and used that. I left the wallet key in the owners manual so they used that to start the car an go for a joy ride. Mini was stripped of the JCW intercooler and the seats

Don't give up get a trunk monkey !!!

Kesh

Old 05-23-2005, 05:23 AM
muy_mini
2nd Gear
One of the best ways to keep someone from driving away in your car is to install a fuel pump shut-off switch in a discrete location. With a bit of cleverness, you can come up with a conveniently located and hidden location for the switch.
Which reminds me... I preach this, but I've yet to install one on 10 Ball.
With all the computerization controll on modern autos, you could probably break another half-dozen sensor or switch connections to cause a no-start.
-Barry

Old 05-23-2005, 08:48 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
I am sorry to learn that this can happen in collegiate Tempe AZ. Yet what you report might have been the result of two different villains--the first with experience breaking into cars (I too left my window opened a tiny crack, not my MINI, and was surprised to find that a jacket was stolen) and the other a fumbling amateur (I had a window broken, not my MINI, and another jacket was stolen). Now that I think of it I have had 5 cars broken into--once each (but only 2 jackets stolen). In my neighborhood cars are broken into on friday and saturday nights. The shattered glass is visible every sunday and swept up on mondays. The police have told us it's almost always done in exchange for drugs and any car can be a target. They recommended fastening a brightly colored metal bar over the steering wheel because any unusual looking theft deterrent can spook a druggy. Perhaps you could try that or recommendations from others on this thread before capitulating to the scumbags.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:00 AM
bluezone
2nd Gear
It looks like there's already a lot of good advice here. If this had happened to me I would take immediate action. Now if money is no problem, then a good alarm and/or hidden tracking device. That way you would be able to follow your vehicle online or off-line if necessary. I would definately want to know if it was somebody I knew who was attempting to rip me off. But I most definately would not sell my Mini because of a break-in. As someone already stated, what's to just keep them from going after the next car.

The camera is a good idea too, but it won't discourage a would be theif if they don't know about it. Plus if you don't reconize the guy and he doesn't have a record on file with the local police. Then it may or may not have the desired affect you're hoping for.

I'm getting the feeling from your post that money may be an issue at the moment due to the fact wallet was just taken. If that's the case then you may want to try a car cover with a lock on it. Now, of course it won't be able to stop any kind of theft. It will however make it a little more time consuming and draw unwanted attention for a would be theif. It's affordable and just might be enough to make them think twice.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Mini Broken into/ now to sell or not to sell