R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 First trackday in my R53

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 09:48 PM
ghostwrench
4th Gear
Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts
First trackday in my R53

After so much researching and buying parts, then installing those parts, I finally got to get my R53 on the track to see how all these parts work in that environment. By far, my biggest concern was the Hotchkis rear swaybar I installed against the recommendation of a friend who has plenty of track time. Even some comments from members here had me really concerned that I had created a spin-prone car when driven hard.

I had to attend the new member classroom/driving sessions. There were 15 drivers in this group and we spent about 45 minutes in the classroom before our first drive on the track where we were put in groups of 3 cars to follow an instructor car to show us the line around the track. This drive was at a slow pace. I think I only touched my brake pedal at the end of the straight, but it is designed for us to learn the track and note the reference points - braking zones, turn in, apex and rollout cones. After this session, we were to park our cars and return to the classroom for a debriefing. Our next track session after this would be following an instructor car again but at an elevated pace - their words. Turns out this second session did not seem any faster than our first. Oh well. After this one, we had 2 more sessions to drive at our own pace.

This is the track layout and we drove it in the counterclockwise configuration. I tried to grey out the sections we did not use:

I really enjoyed turn 7 as that is a downhill left turn that I was able to take in 3rd gear with the pedal to the floor. The right hand turn 15 leading onto the straight was another turn I could take in 3rd gear with the throttle pinned. I found I could briefly go into 5th gear on the straight at about 110 mph before braking for that sharp left turn at the end. I feel I could have braked harder and later for that but I was not ready to put that much faith in my brakes yet.

I had 2 off track excursions, both in the turn 3-4 area. The first was on the first of the "unsupervised" sessions where I fishtailed in turn 3 and ended up straight throught the dirt into turn 5. No big deal. Then the following - and last - session I simply went into turn 2 with too much speed, slid, overcorrected and slid off the track sideways. Turns out that was the last lap. I ended up with mud/dirt on my wheels, roof and inside the cabin.

The reason I went into that corner too hot was because I felt the car and I were in the zone together. We had hung with and passed a Ford Focus RS and with no traffic in front of me, it was just keep hitting my marks. Until another car came on the track ahead of me from the pits. I don't know what it was. An older small car and it sounded and pulled away from me on the straights like it had a V8 in it. I noticed I could gain on him in the corners though, so I began to chase. Slowly gaining. I thought I would catch him in the esses, so I went in with more speed than before. I didn't have enough skill for that speed and lost control. Into the dirt and a few seconds later, that Focus RS passed me while I was in the dirt. I tried to stay off the line, aware of the dirt I must have brought with me as I ate my slice of humble pie. Checker flag came out that lap so my day was done.

I had SO much fun! There are a few more track events in the area before the summer break. It's far too hot here for track driving in the summer here. I would like to get 2 more events before summer and I think I would benefit from new tires. I ran this event on 3 year-old Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. I think they did pretty well but I am excited to see what Continental Extreme Contact or Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires might be like.

I think my fear of a too stiff rear sway bar was unfounded. My car seemed pretty neutral most of the time, cornering flat and seeming to slide all 4 tires around some corners comfortably. I did hang the tail out in turn 1 once and fed throttle to pull through it. I think I want another session or 2 alone to experiment and then have an instructor ride with me for advice to help me drive better at speed.

I got some pictures from the track photographer. I think these are from the instructor led sessions because my car looks pretty flat. I think this picture is in turn 15 leading onto the straight.

I think I'm hooked. I also have to keep in mind this is also my daily driver. My next event I'll be in a regular, although the slowest, group, which will likely have more cars on the track. 15 cars on a 2.3 mile course was plenty of spacing for my mistakes. At least one of the upcoming events is at a much smaller track, so I must try to be mindful that there will be less room for error.

This was my first track event on 4 wheels, although my last track event was over 16 years ago. It is so good to have been back out there.

Happy Motoring!

The following 2 users liked this post by ghostwrench:
bump32 (02-10-2024), Grand-Cayman (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 05:10 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Now that you've been infected with the track virus, I'll be following your development on track! Have fun and be safe

Check out the epic thread under the 'Racing and Competition' header, then 'Driver's School', titled 'SCDA HDPE Schedule'. Lots of valuable info for track days, much of it applicable to any track.

The following users liked this post:
ghostwrench (02-10-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 08:02 AM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 847 Likes on 535 Posts
Awesome! -Sounds like a lot of fun.
My Mini will probably never see a track but I found it curios with concerns regarding your rear swaybar. I have the 22mm Alta adjustable installed on my R53. It was also noted to me that 22mm was way too stiff. Personally, I didn't have any firsthand experience or issues in my Mini to know any better. Since now, I think it's great. The car has handled impressively under a few extreme wild twists and turns. I've only able to reach out and tag my left rear taillight once.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:44 PM
Grand-Cayman
3rd Gear
Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
I just posted a video from my most recent track day. I have had my mini for quite a while but between sorting the brakes and fixing the hood after an encounter with armco at VIR, I have not tracked it all that much. I also have a Porsche Cayman GT4 that I upgraded from a 3.8L 385 HP motor to a 4.5L 500+ HP motor. But, as I tell everyone, the Mini is just as fun at the GT4. It's a totally different experience, but the light weight and immediate turn-in is great. Of course the other advantage is that it is infinitely cheaper to run!

It is also funny, and sometimes a bit frustrating, that some people seem to have a mental block in giving me the point by in a Mini. I have 215 width tires on now and am thinking of trying 225s. I came to NAM tonight to see if anyone had any posts on wider tires...

ghostwrench (02-10-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 06:45 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Looks like you were running with the Porsche Club! I ran 225/45/17s on my R53 and had no rubbing issues whatsoever. I don't think the tire size change will change the point by attitude when it comes to seeing a MINI in the rear view mirror, however...

Grand-Cayman (02-07-2024)