New York/New England New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Calabogie Lapping - April 30th

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:48 PM
djafactor
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calabogie Lapping - April 30th

I'm doing a lapping event in a few weeks. Having a tough time filling the spots with the cold we have been having so far in April so looks like this one is not going to be for profit. Thought maybe some more MINIs would be interested. It's a great deal on a world class track.

Where: Calabogie Motorsports Park
Layout: Full Circuit
When: April 30th 9am - 5pm (driver's meeting at 8:45am)
Cost: CN$250
Flaggers and Ambulance/Tow on site.

This is a open lapping day. A few instructors will be on-site always willing to coach, but this is first and foremost NOT a school. This event is for experienced drivers only, no newbies. There is always designating passing areas with zero-tolerance for erratic drivers. We reserve the right to ask you to leave if we feel you are posing a threat to the safety of yourself & others.

PM me if you are interested, please let your fellow lappers know as this event is not just regulated to MINIs. There is plenty of economical motels around the track which I can refer you to.

cheers

Amit

Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's my report from this event...

We ran without turn in / apex / track out cones, so the blind turns were even more difficult because there was no handy cone that screamed "turn in here!"

Kink could be taken stupid fast. But, it's downhill with the crest of the hill at the begining of the turn, and there's a big cement wall right up against the left side of the straight between Kink and Jacques. So, don't mess up. Or, if you do, drift off to the right side of the track - don't try to save it and wind up on the wall on the left.

Jacques is simple and straightforward. You can even see the whole thing when you're setting up for it.

Gilles is quite blind. You cannot see the track at all when you need to turn in. The turn itself isn't that bad, but finding the timing is.

Easy is - well - easy. At least in a slow car

The "driver's guide" talks about a downhill braking for Mulligans. I guess I did it wrong because I was braking before the downhill.

Big Rock is a long turn, and you need to go late so you can end on the right side of the track for Candy Mountain.

Candy Mountain is another completely blind turn. There are some trees you can use for landmarks though.

Temptation - I have no idea. I tried a lot of different lines, but I still don't think any of them were right. To make things even harder, the true apex, or at least the "last" apex, is blind because it's blocked by a piece of armco.

Deliverance was never an issue since I never had enough speed coming out of Temptation.

Crown and Brow can be taken as one double apex turn with no adjusting of line between them. They can probably also be taken much faster than I did. It took me a long time to come close to finding the line to make them one turn. Or perhaps crown is a "nothing" turn and Brow is a double apex... looking at the map, there are three "turns" and two names. It's one of those cases where the map doesn't reflect the track as I remember it.

The Beak is very tight and needs to be taken late.

The Throat you can see the entrance to, but the exit is a bit blind, and there's not much room between the exit of Throat and the entrance to Hook, and you need to scrub off some speed for Hook.

Out of Hook and through Spoon, I was able to take flat out. But flat through Spoon was kind of scary even in my car. It was moving around a bit at a pretty high speed (90-ish?).

The braking zone for 4-Left is the one that is uphill with the crest of the hill in the wrong place. Waiting until after the hill didn't give me enough time to slow down comfortably. Braking before the crest made things seem to slow. Braking a bit going up the hill, getting off the brakes for the crest, then braking again after the crest almost worked. And I could probably carry much more speed through 4 Left than I did.

The last section is another slight mystery. Setting up so you're not lifting for the last left (Wilson's) seems to be the most important part, but that left is just blind enough that it takes some commitment.

Your first day there, it's going to take a lot of laps to remember where you are and where you're going. Looking ahead (way ahead) seems to help a ton here, but with everything so blind it takes a while to figure out which direction is "ahead".

Runoff room seems pretty good around the track. The wall on the left heading into Jacques is the closest thing I can remember. But having the wall right there when you blip the throttle to downshift is nice.

The paddock is a big paved lot, no shelter is available. Porta-potties. Gas is a 5 minute drive away (more or less). There is no food available at the track. Very limited picture taking opportunities. The wall between the paddock and the track is tall enough that you cannot see any of the track from the paddock. You have to cross the hot pits to be able to see anything, and some organizations don't allow this at other tracks. I don't recall seeing air / electricity available, but I didn't look. There's no sign for the track, so get directions.

Video is here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...44546738078360

A higher quality video download is coming soon...