R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Help !!!! Smoke from under shift boot !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 01:36 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 612 Likes on 483 Posts
Help !!!! Smoke from under shift boot !!!!

So I just got done buttoning up my tpr2 head and ns1 cam install and retune.... I'm still working it out on the tuning side but it runs pretty good...
My car ran perfect with 0 issues before the install of the head and cam n tune... what could be causing smoke to come up out of that area ? My shifter lever was pretty warm even too..
do you think this could be caused by my exhaust heating up too much due to the crackle n pop tune ? It seems the smoke and heat are rite above where my resonator is underneath, I tried making as much space as I could between it and the heatshield underneath but in a 2in section I'm pretty sure it pressed against the heatsheild . But it was never an issue before so could the crackle n pop tune really be causing that much excessive heat in the exhaust ? I tried heat coating it too and my headers are wrapped.
its a terrible stink burning smell too,very rancid smelling.
help plz !!!!!

Old 10-14-2020, 04:25 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Running too lean can cause excessive heat.. Some years have a box under the shifter, was yours removed?

Old 10-14-2020, 06:31 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Da_Ghost
Running too lean can cause excessive heat.. Some years have a box under the shifter, was yours removed?
I'm not aware if it was removed or not though I think its still there beneath the heatshield.
I rigged this up and it worked enough to make it not smoke but it did still get a little warm in that area. I used the wood to pull down on the exhaust hanger that's above that plate, its just temporary as I find a better solution.
would it be ok if I remove that box and possibly then be able to put in more heat shielding or atleast give it enough area for heat to dissipate better..
how loud or bad would my exhaust sound if i just deleted that resonator there with a strait pipe?
lol or I hope that guy still is going to give me that free r56 exhaust, ille adapt that on and that'll fix all these problems .

Old 10-14-2020, 08:33 PM
Serafin
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
You mentioned your headers are wrapped. If you just installed it. It’ll smoke and smell for awhile until it burns off.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:44 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Serafin
You mentioned your headers are wrapped. If you just installed it. It’ll smoke and smell for awhile until it burns off.
no not that , this isn't my 1st wrap job and they have long cured by now..its something melting damnnear burning which im positive now was from my exhaust being pressed on the tunnel and now getting excessively hot from the new parts and tune.. I gotta better somehow space it down or get a smaller resonator into there, which is the route I might go.
I see this aftermarket , I can buy just the muddle section which then I can simple bolt up( might have to simply cut to length) but my pacesetter resonator is too large. Heres a pic of the smaller one like I need , my pacesetter is about 2x as wide as the one below( or modify and run r56 exhaust )