R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Cockpit Chrono Pack??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 04:31 PM
pmello
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cockpit Chrono Pack??

Any thoughts on this set of guages? How well do they work?? Accurate? I know what they look like so please no additional comments on that. Having oil pressure, oil temp and a "real" water temp guage for track days would be helpful.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:58 PM
MINISPIDER
4th Gear
like this?

Old 11-23-2004, 07:01 PM
bigpmj
4th Gear
Wow...thats slick. How'd you pull that off?

Old 11-24-2004, 04:30 AM
MINISPIDER
4th Gear
nerves of steel and a couple of hours

Old 11-24-2004, 04:36 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Great job.

Old 11-24-2004, 06:42 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's awesome! How's the view from the steering wheel?

This is what I did:

Old 11-24-2004, 10:49 AM
MINId1
Neutral
i have the chrono pack on my 05 not a biggie but you lose the digital speed read out just an fyi

Old 11-24-2004, 11:30 AM
MINISPIDER
4th Gear
When I had my gages under the toggle panel, the view was always obstructed by the toggles or the shift **** and I always had to move my head downwards which created a safety problem when driving, so I moved everything up....and now I just shift my eyes and I get a very clear view...

Old 11-25-2004, 08:18 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I know on the stock coolant temp gauge; it stays in "the middle" from about 160F to at least 220F Not very accurate. I'd hope the Crono pack gauges would be more representative.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:51 AM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
I have the chrono pak and the gauges seem pretty accurate. Oil pressure, especially. Having driven cars with accurate oil pressure gauges, I know when it should be high, and when a low reading is OK. Temperature gauges seem more accurate than most, but in a car with a good cooling system, the water and oil temperatures shouold stabilize pretty fast and stay there.

I personally prefer the speedo where I can see it, and the left and right turn signal lights. Lets face it, the speedo in front is more ergonomic, and the speedo in the midle is more of a design feature. Depends on whether you drive it, or sit in the car in the driveway and show it to people.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:57 AM
Hiwaystar
Neutral
I've read that gauges in today's vehicles provide "average" readings. This is so enthusiasts like us aren't always comparing readings and running to the dealer to correct "off" readings

Old 11-25-2004, 10:59 AM
LombardStreet
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINId1
i have the chrono pack on my 05 not a biggie but you lose the digital speed read out just an fyi
But if I understand correctly, you get it back as one of the read-outs on the on-board computer, if you've ordered that. (My car isn't here yet, so I can't confirm that.)

Old 11-25-2004, 11:49 AM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
My on-board computer just shows AVERAGE speed for a trip, not momentary readings.

Old 11-25-2004, 02:33 PM
LombardStreet
Originally Posted by JoeDentist
My on-board computer just shows AVERAGE speed for a trip, not momentary readings.
Maybe this is different on the 05s (or maybe the manual is wrong) but I'm looking at p. 66 of the 05 Owner's Manual that I downloaded from the Owner's Lounge:

Mode selection

From ignition key position 1, you can use
the button in the turn signal indicator lever
to retrieve information from the onboard
computer for display in the tachometer. By
pressing the button briefly, you can call up
a new function for display.

The displays appear in the following order:

Outside temperature, range, average con-
sumption and current consumption, aver-
age speed and current speed.
I haven't got my car yet (she's in Cleveland!) so I can't confirm the above. Anyone?

Old 11-25-2004, 06:21 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by JoeDentist
I have the chrono pak and the gauges seem pretty accurate. Oil pressure, especially. Having driven cars with accurate oil pressure gauges, I know when it should be high, and when a low reading is OK. Temperature gauges seem more accurate than most, but in a car with a good cooling system, the water and oil temperatures shouold stabilize pretty fast and stay there.

I personally prefer the speedo where I can see it, and the left and right turn signal lights. Lets face it, the speedo in front is more ergonomic, and the speedo in the midle is more of a design feature. Depends on whether you drive it, or sit in the car in the driveway and show it to people.
I don't sit much in the driveway,and I can see mine fine in the middleIf I'm going for it,I worry more about what the tach. is telling me than the speedo

Old 11-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
my understanding is the 05's have a small readout on the tach that shows the mph. I cant confirm because I havent recieve my car yet either... I will confirm once the car gets here.

Old 11-25-2004, 07:43 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I am at that decision too. I test drove one without the Chrono pack and i like that traditional look. The 05 i drove has a digital speedo on th Tach. Thats what i used when i drove it i really never looked at the center console. i know the traditionalist wouldnt have it any other way. I also looked at a 05 that had the Chrono pack and i liked the way the center looked with the different gauges but i dont know if i liked having the 2 pods over the wheel. If its about racing wouldnt you only want to focus on RPMs? I mean is it really worth the 2 extra oil temp and pres gauges?

Old 11-25-2004, 07:54 PM
-Nathan
1st Gear
I just got my hyper blue '05 MCS this week. The computer can show the following on the display at the bottom of the tachometer:
current speed
average speed
current miles per gallon
average miles per gallon
estimated miles before running out of fuel
outside temperature

If you don't like having to look over at the center mounted speedo then you can just leave the computer set to show current speed on the display on the tach.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:13 PM
TBeaubien
1st Gear
As LombardStreet said, my '05 without computer does show current speed at the bottom of the tach. Or you can set it to show outside temp. I find myself using both - still getting used to having the big dial in the middle.

Old 11-26-2004, 08:44 PM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
Having the current speed show digitally on the tach, when the big, easy to read speedometer is right next door sure does not make sense. The function of gauges should be to inform as quickly as possible, so that you can keep your eyes on the road. Things like digital readouts down by your feet are truly counterproductive. Analog gauges up at eye level are the only thing that makes any sense. I do not read speeds off my speedometer, I note what angle the pointer is at. Ditto for the gauges. In fact, one of the most annoying things about the Mini speedo in my car is that 55 is not straight up, like in most cars. The gas gauge does not even have labels. You just go by pointer position. This is how it should be.

Old 11-26-2004, 10:34 PM
lotsie
Banned
Many years ago BMW did a test of analog vs digital gauges.Analog seemed to work better as our brains could see where we were running things as we had
the rest of the guage to look at.easier to see 50 if 40 and 60 are seen at the same time

Old 11-26-2004, 11:16 PM
Originalhotrodder
1st Gear
My wife and I decided to take Simon for a little drive two weekends ago to get him over the break-in hump (started at 1170 miles, finished a bit short of 1300). We started from Sacramento drove up 50, around Lake Tahoe (South shore, and around to North Shore) and back to Sacramento down 80. The drive started about 3:30 in the afternoon and went into the early evening (back to Sac at about 7:30 pm).
During that drive I discovered that scanning the center speedometer doesn't cause the near / far refocusing that scanning the tach in front of the steering wheel does. It struck me as another wisely engineered feature of the Mini.
Loved the power on the passing lanes going up 50. That little Supercharger really comes into it's own with altitude.
LombardStreet: You are going to have a great time driving Tilly back . What a great break-in / introduction drive. I'm jealous.

Old 11-27-2004, 05:39 AM
rhogg
1st Gear
I like my tach and I like my digital speed readout on the tach! I do not have the OBC but the tach has outside temperature and current speed, in an easily read screen.

Like Lot 15 I prefer the tach as the primary. I guess I'm a little more concernd about over reving than I am about ......uhmmmh... over speeding.

Plus the centre dash speedo isn't for the driver its for the passenger! and their interest in it is greatly increased once the needle starts pointing at them ! That doesn't happen much in the driveway.

Old 11-27-2004, 11:53 AM
LombardStreet
Originally Posted by Originalhotrodder
LombardStreet: You are going to have a great time driving Tilly back . What a great break-in / introduction drive. I'm jealous.
Thanks - we're really looking forward to it. Just pray for good weather!

Old 11-27-2004, 05:48 PM
speltzer
5th Gear

Quick Reply: R50/53 Cockpit Chrono Pack??