R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Starter woes....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 PM
Laderoute
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter woes....

Hi Everyone,
New to the forum as I just picked up an 05 (R53 to my understanding) Cooper S manual.
Just a few weeks into ownership and my starter became lethargic and then...kaput...
This is where things go kind of sideways...
I replaced the starter with a rebuild and upon starting, the starter just kept running on. Almost as if the solenoid didn't disengage from the flywheel...
I took that starter out thinking it was a poor rebuild just to experience the same issue with the second and NOW with a brand new Bosch I have experienced the same issue - The starter seems to stay on once it is started.
Along with the second starter I replaced the ignition switch as it seemed to be a problematic area among the forums.
My luck can't be so bad as to inherit 3 bad starters so I know I need to look elsewhere...

My next move will be to remove the nut on the starter for the ignition wire, get my wife to start the car then, disconnect it from the starter and see what happens... all without branding myself on the exhaust manifold....
Until then,I'm looking for direction from you all... Am I dealing with a standard/known issue with Mini R53's here?
IS there a known smoking gun for this issue among the community???
Thank you for your help.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:28 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Good idea to remove wire but why not splice in a temporary switch, much safer.

Also could use voltmeter to tell if voltage is there after key release.

If you still have original starter, I would compare mounting dimensions & pinion travel. The replacements may be operating in a bind if the pinion goes in too deep.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 PM
Laderoute
Neutral
Thank you Minidogger,
That makes sense to splice in a temp switch....
Will try both ideas. Ultimately it will circle back to the issue of if there is voltage after key release, is there something known I should be looking for in the ignition system or am I starting on a goose chase...?
The starters are identical. I matched nose cones and all dimensions.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:03 AM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
I haven't sens a wiring diagram, but guessing there is a relay in the circuit. That could be hanging closed.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:36 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
You need to find a diagram of the starter circuit or someone who knows the circuit well on here might chime in. If the starter doesn’t disengage you either have a stuck ignition switch or a relay that doesn’t disengage or a stuck starter solenoid. I would disconnect the hot wire from the starter and connect a volt meter or a simple test light. Then turn the ignition switch to start and release the switch to run and see if the power disconnects to the starter hot wire. If it doesn’t then you know it’s somewhere on the ignition switch side. I don’t know the circuit so I can’t tell you if there is a relay, but seems logical that there is one. Look at the descriptions inside the fuse block cover under the hood. Try disconnecting anything that says ignition and see if that cuts power to the starter circuit. If it’s a relay, try swapping relays and see if that fixes it. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 PM
Laderoute
Neutral
So, turns out I had a short in one of the wires.... Traced it back, sorted it out and all is up and running.
Thanks to all who assisted in the fix - Cheers