R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 My first Mini - what PM would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:37 PM
crdouger
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first Mini - what PM would you recommend?

My wife has always adored mini coopers...(and me as well)...so I picked up my first one last night. It's an 05 red mini S with 150,000 miles and a manual transmission for $2k. It needs a little TLC, but overall seems solid and runs/drives great. The previous owner had it for 10,000 miles and so I don't have many records at all. Before I put it on the road and start driving it, what preventative maintenance would you recommend?
- oil and filter change - how fussy are mini's on type of synthetic oil?
- brakes, pads and lines look good
- suspension looks good although one tie rod end has a little slop...no vibrations on the highway, but it seems like two new tie rod end and an alignment would be wise.
- do the transmission have lifetime fluid or should that be changed?
- I know people will likely say flush the brake fluid and the coolant...but how necessary is that really on a $2k car? Convince me it's worth it if the car stops fine and doesn't overheat.
- I don't know anything about superchargers...do they require any maintenance or care?

Thanks. I've been driving VW TDI's for the last decade and people on forums have always been a huge blessing...so thanks, in advance.

crdouger

Old 01-31-2018, 04:05 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
150,000 miles.

1.) A brake fluid flush is easy and overall cheap. What is better, saving a few bucks or stepping on the brakes after some stop and go so the moisture in the line makes the peddle spongy and you hit the car in front of you?
2.) Coolant change, another inexpensive flush. Don't do it and perhaps the car overheats and warps a head. A bottle of coolant or $2k down the drain?
3.) Supercharges life cycle is around 100,000 miles so you are already pushing the limit. There is oil within it and when the oil is gone so goes the SC.
4.) 5w-30 synthetic oil and premium gas. Put the cheap stuff in and with the heat the supercharger pushes you could blow the motor with the oil and burn the valve guides with the regular gas.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:39 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Can't argue with Whine not Walnuts recommendations .. so Welcome to the forum

Old 01-31-2018, 04:49 PM
KDKid
Neutral
Change all of the fluids yourself, if you can. Otherwise, take it to your nearest dealer and give it a once over. You got a hell of a deal, but as Walnuts said, are you willing to throw $2k away on not wanting to change fluids? I'd also recommend thoroughly inspecting the suspension and the SC. My SC just wnet, so I bought another car to marry with the good parts from car #1. That SC blew on the way home. Mini's will last forever, with proper maintenance and SC replacements. DontD waste a sweet deal on an amazing vehicle.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:53 PM
crdouger
1st Gear
I probably will change the oil, coolant ...and maybe brakes...I hate bleeding them...even with a power bleeder. I figured that was wise. I just wanted to push a little and see what people advised. I couldn't find much information on timing chains or tensioners. Do the timing chains ever need to be changed or maintained?

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:47 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Of course the fluids aren't a bad idea and can only help. Usually you'll get a firmer pedal after a brake fluid change.

With 150k the timing chain will be stretched so we would recommend doing a kit. You will be surprised when you compare the new and old chain. Plus the cars tend to run just that much better getting the timing all back in line.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/timing...0-r52-r53.html

If it hasn't had new poly control arm bushings it for sure needs some powerflex bushings as the stock ones wear out every 40k miles.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...shing-kit.html

Then just inspect and do as needed

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-02-2018, 04:51 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Like others have said...do the basics. 5w-30 Mobil 1 oil, new filter, might want to think about a fuel filter? Not sure I would mess with the supercharger, but that's up to you. I'm well over 160,000 miles with no issues on mine...but I guess it all depends on how hard you run the car.

I would go through all of the suspension parts....ball joints, control arm bushings, stuff like that. Mine were all shot at around 85,000 miles. Also, look at replacing your shocks...Koni FSB's are a good choice. Nice ride, great handling. Worn out shocks on these cars make them ride horrible and beat you to death.

After that....just drive it, put some miles on it, then address what ever else you need to fix.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:49 PM
torogi
1st Gear
I bought a new to me mini last 4 months ago (R53 MCS). I went overboard and spent more parts than what the mini costed me.

Fluids are cheap, I'd vote start there first. Then filters. Air cabin I replaced was really filthy.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:04 PM
crdouger
1st Gear
This is great advice. I appreciate it. Picked up a set of steel wheels with snow tires tonight for it. Tomorrow it's an oil and filter change and fix an exhaust leak behind the cat. Then she should be at least road worthy. I'm comfortable doing almost any work on the car. Replacing the oil in the SC didn't look too hard, just lots of removing stuff. Is that the best time to do the timing chain too? I'll look for a video for that too. Have a good weekend everyone.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:20 PM
crdouger
1st Gear
nobody's mentioned anything about the fluid in the six speed manual. Is that lifetime or does it need to be changed?

Old 02-02-2018, 07:02 PM
ONEBUNCHMIN
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by crdouger
nobody's mentioned anything about the fluid in the six speed manual. Is that lifetime or does it need to be changed?
Lifetime to BMW means within the warranty period. I'd change it if I were you. Redline MTL is a great choice.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:42 AM
crdouger
1st Gear
Where are some of the most common reliable online sources for parts. I wasn't able to find Redline MTL at any local stores today. I will soon need:
-a tie-rod
-control arm bushings
-control arm bushing installation tool
-oil for the SC
-air and cabin air filter
-Red Line MTF fluid
-SC oil
-Crank Sensor O-ring
-Water pump
-Oil pan drain plug (mine stripped)
-36mm socket to remove oil filter
(The list keeps growing...$$$ :( )

Pelican parts? Way Motor Works? suggestions?

Thanks,

(edited later...I ended up buying a lot of the items from Pelican Parts, Amazon and ECS Tuning. But I'd still appreciate any other suggestions if you have them.)

Last edited by crdouger; 02-03-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:25 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We offer all those parts then some. I think we even have all of of that in stock right now as those are parts we use in our shop on a regular basis.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-21-2018, 08:30 PM
RndmGuy06
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just picked up my first mini this week for about 2k. It's also been about a decade of tdi's and a Passat. If I didn't know any better, I'd have sworn the OP was mine! Haha This thread had been exactly what I've been wondering about. Thanks!

Mine needs a water pump and an alternator. While the car is in Front End Service mode, what else should I do? Supercharger oil, and...???

Old 05-21-2018, 08:48 PM
ONEBUNCHMIN
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RndmGuy06
I just picked up my first mini this week for about 2k. It's also been about a decade of tdi's and a Passat. If I didn't know any better, I'd have sworn the OP was mine! Haha This thread had been exactly what I've been wondering about. Thanks!

Mine needs a water pump and an alternator. While the car is in Front End Service mode, what else should I do? Supercharger oil, and...???
Crank sensor O-ring. Oil pan gasket wouldn't hurt. Belt tensioner...ect

Old 05-21-2018, 08:56 PM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Add a 17% reduced pulley!

I'm looking for a sub $2k R53 too. Hope to find one soon!

Old 05-22-2018, 04:54 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
The first thing I would recommend is a compression and leak down test. It will give you a better base of knowledge to decide on future work.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:21 AM
RndmGuy06
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ONEBUNCHMIN
Crank sensor O-ring. Oil pan gasket wouldn't hurt. Belt tensioner...ect
Thank you on the Crank Sensor O-ring. I'm debating the belt tensioner. Can the tensioner be replaced through the wheel well?

Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
Add a 17% reduced pulley!

I'm looking for a sub $2k R53 too. Hope to find one soon!
Mine is the JCW with the 11% reduction and other supporting mods. I had to tow it home though as the water pump and alternator are shot. I am a little worried about the previous owner getting it hot.

Originally Posted by Goldsmithy
The first thing I would recommend is a compression and leak down test. It will give you a better base of knowledge to decide on future work.
A compression test is a good idea. Thank you! I am planning on getting it road worthy and then seeing what else it needs. Pretty sure a stage 0 tune, Plugs, Wires, Oil and Filter, Air Filter, & Cabin Air Filter.

Pulled into the garage.
Where I stopped last night.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:12 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
On Youtube, ModMini has allot of Gen1 DIY videos.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:06 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
We also have a bunch of DIY articles for your MINI here:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/support...ctory.htm#mini

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST