1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

you would recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 11:39 AM
air1mtt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you would recommend?

Thinking about a mini. 100 mile round trip commute in Philly. Mix of highway and city driving, although highway can a standstill at times. I drive my cars until the wheels come off. Civic has 163,000 so it is time. Three teenagers, one getting ready for college. Would you recommend . .

1) Mini S
* Auto or manual?

2) Basic mini

3) Used mini?

Thanks, love the cars you all drive. Now I want one. have a good day

Mark

Old 02-07-2006, 11:43 AM
SBJester
1st Gear
I have a MC and i love it! I would recommend that with the 5spd. You might as well get a new one becuase they hold their value really well, and you'll end up paying close to the same for a used one as you would for a new. Plus you get to build it EXACTLY how YOU want it. You can't beat that!

Old 02-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Chili Spice
Neutral
Get it or maybe not.

I have the 2005 MCS automatic and I really enjoy it. I have never driven a manual so I can't comment on the MCS manual. I think if you have a long commute and want an enjoyable ride to and from work, you will be happy in a MINI. It's fun. People turn and smile at you as they are driving down the road. Good on gas mileage, neat options to choose from to make your MINI experience extra special. Surprisingly, a cart load full of groceries fits conveniently in the boot.

If you have teenage kids, you might be carting them around just a bit, but more than likely they are getting or have their driver's licenses. This presents a MAJOR problem!!! You are going to be one of those cool dads that drives the car the teenagers go nuts for. They might be stealing your car away as they go to off to college. They will be asking for the keys when they go out on dates and stuff. I know I would have done that if my dad drove a MINI. Are you prepared for this? On the other hand, if they take the MINI, maybe that gives you the opportunity to get the new model down the road.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

B

Old 02-10-2006, 09:43 PM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
I would recommend the automatic S. You get the convenience of automatic, the fun of the manual mode, and the hysteria of the paddles.

Also I don't know if you mean you want to carry around the 3 teenagers, but if so take them all for a test fit first. I know people on here will claim they've carried 17 friends, 3 pianos, 2 TVs, and 4 dogs all at the same time, but I'm 6'7 and leave the seat as far back as it will slide, and it's touching the rear seat bottom so my car is at best a 2.5 seater. and that's if the other 1.5 are at the most average height.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:06 AM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll need to first find out where your fun level is at because this car is all about fun. Meaning can your fun factor be satisfied by a MC or a MCS or a MCSC, as well as whether a stick shift or a auto/stick. Because if you just want transportation, then a Honda or a something like that will suffice. But if you want to have a BLAST whilst driving, then hook up with a MINI.

Drive 'em all.

....Les

Old 02-11-2006, 07:13 AM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Id recommend a new MINI- the price will be close to the same and you may as well get what YOU want in the car. Half the excitement in ordering is being able to customize these cars!

If you want a MANUAL, get an S.
If you want an AUTOMATIC, get a Cooper.

There is the automatic S, but its still got bugs... From my experience (with having both type of S) the manual is a better, more reliable choice.

Good luck Mark! You have hard choices in front of you!

Welcome to NAM!

Old 02-11-2006, 07:17 AM
lcubed
4th Gear
any plans on letting the teenagers drive it??
if so, i'd check w/ the insurance company before picking up an S.

(i used to live in philly and the insurance for younger drivers can
be brutal especially if the car is 'sporty')

that said, the manual transmission mini & S are relatively easy to
drive in stop and go traffic (much easier clutch action than my old
'build your left leg muscles' jetta), but not as light as the hondas.

if you get a used S, i'd keep the runflats and install koni FSD shocks.
it'll make the potholes and rough roads much more pleasant and you
won't have to lug a spare tire or fix-a-flat around.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:39 AM
koltsov00
Neutral
I'mm 22 right now and I have an '05 Cooper S, it is cheaper for me to have the MINI insured under my parent's name as a main driver and me on my old car. This way, my insurance is cheaper if I have 2 cars from if I was just the main driver for my MINI, and I can legaly drive the MINI without any problems.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Supa Coopa
1st Gear
Air1,

I went into this thinking I could pick off a nice used Cooper from someone looking to upgrade. You won't pay much less for used than you would for new so you might as well go new.

I have my MCS with the 6 speed manual after driving auto's for 15 years. I love it. But most of my driving is on the weekends and hopefully without traffic. If you face as much traffic as I think. Auto may be the answer here and you still have some of the control with the paddles.

I love the MCS but could never use this as the family car. This is my get around town and some commuting to the train car. (As long as I can get another person and two sets of clubs in there, I am set.)

Everything else gets loaded into my '05 Subaru outback wagon. (Wife kids dog etc)

Old 02-13-2006, 10:17 AM
air1mtt
1st Gear
Thanks for you recommenations

Thanks to all for your response to my question about what to buy. Last item: at 6 ft, 220 lbs, will fit be an issue?

thanks again. Don't see the teen driving it. He can drive the element.

Mark

Old 02-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
You'll have plenty of room, 6' 2" 250 here but you may get a few odd looks cause most don't realize how much room is inside

Old 02-13-2006, 10:22 AM
ja ME s
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm 6'1" 220 and I am perfectly comfortable in the front seat. That said if you do need to put someone behind you (and it seems to happen more and more frequently since i got the MINI) it's a little tight both front and rear if you have to pull the seat forward from your usual setting.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:39 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Automatic vs. manual and Cooper vs. S is pretty much a personal choice. I do 120 miles of commuting every day and its a mix of downtown Detroit driving and open highway driving. I have a manual and can't imagine driving anything else.

On the note of New vs. Used - If you can get a new one, go for it. They're a ton of fun to spec out and while the wait period can be stressful, its part of the experience

If you can't buy new or would rather buy used to get more options, then by all means do it. I bought my first MINI new, my second one Used and my third new. This board is, in general, biased against buying used. The claim that used MINIs sell for just as much as used ones is a myth. Yes, in some cases people are able to sell them for nearly what they paid new. You will find used MINIs that are listed for essentially MSRP on a new one. BUT, if you are an informed buyer, you can definatley get a good, if not great, price on a used MINI. If you are vigilant about checking the Marketplace, Ebay, local dealers, local private sellers and you can certainly find a good deal. My parents bought a used MINI off Ebay and the seller was fantastic to deal with. I would gladly give you his name. He always has MINIs for sale.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:48 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Originally Posted by air1mtt
Thinking about a mini. 100 mile round trip commute in Philly. Mix of highway and city driving, although highway can a standstill at times. I drive my cars until the wheels come off. Civic has 163,000 so it is time. Three teenagers, one getting ready for college. Would you recommend . .

1) Mini S
* Auto or manual?

2) Basic mini

3) Used mini?

Mark
Too bad MINIUSA/BMW doesn't bring the MINI One Diesel here. IMHO you would be a prime candidate!

Old 02-13-2006, 12:25 PM
banjoez
3rd Gear
The choice is quite simple. If you are interested in high performance and fuel economy isn't important the MCS is the right choice. If better fuel economy is important the MC is the right choice. The MC will still drive 70 all day long, it just takes a little while longer to get there. They are both a blast to drive. If you simply need a reliable economy car with an auto tranny you might want to stick with a Honda.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:27 PM
jibeho
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
Too bad MINIUSA/BMW doesn't bring the MINI One Diesel here. IMHO you would be a prime candidate!
I agree. But that would exclude one of the MINIs hottest markets, The Peoples Republic of California where diesel POVs are Verboten

I drive a 2000 TDI New Beetle and get 700 miles on a tank. The only thing is it has lost some power over the years.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:03 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by air1mtt

1) Mini S
* Auto or manual?

2) Basic mini

3) Used mini?

Mark
Mark,

You have a decent commute, mixed driving with some stop and go, you keep your cars and have young drivers at home.

I would recommend-
MC over MCS- you don't need that much power and the MC will perform fine for commuting and will be fine for urban travel. It's lower cost and less complicated. MCS in automatic can also work but costs more.
Automatic over Manual- this is good for stop and go traffic- less hassle and good for multiple drivers especially for younger drivers. 5 speed manual also very good performer for commuting as a second choice.
Used over new- due to lower cost but it depends on what is available in your area for sale. If demand is high then used MINIs might not be so easy to find and you might need to go outside your local area.

Other things that help the commute-
Lighter wheels and narrow tires like those found on a stock MC will work fine for commuting while heavy stiff riding 17" runflats with heavy rims aren't so good for good gas mileage and are more costly to replace.
Good radio helps for long trips as does cruise control.

So if you are on a budget (due to college tuitions due) the MC in auto used is worth a look. Take a test drive and see what you think. MC in 5 speed is good- try an '04 or '05.

If you buy new the current MC in auto is nice- keep the stock 15" wheels and skip the runflats.

MCS in auto is nice if you want performance and ease of use- you might have to fight for the keys more with the kids trying to get some motoring time behind your back.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:04 AM
air1mtt
1st Gear
Thanks for all the input. You have been great. I think I need to stick to basics. Wish my wallet were thicker but with college ahead for the next 11 years I need reliability and mileage. Basic mini with standard for fun, and any options I can find since I will be buying used. Have a great day everyone and thanks. . . .Mark