R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Strut Assembly Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM
SUPmini
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Strut Assembly Parts

Hello all!

I am replacing the struts and springs on my '02 MCS, and I am curious as to where I can get the lower seats for the springs and what other pieces I need besides strut mounts in order to make the full assembly without having to disassemble the old ones. I already have the new Koni Yellow struts, H&R springs, and new strut top mounts. In doing some research, it only seems that I am missing the lower spring seats, but I have heard I might need other new parts to complete it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken McKay

Old 03-08-2018, 10:04 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We can get them all for you as you will need all the parts for the upper mounts and bump stops. it will add up quick as they aren't as cheap as you expect.
But they are easy to take apart you don't even need a spring compressor to take apart so I would just save your money and take the old ones apart.

Also we could sell you the parts used from one of our parts cars to save you a bunch.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-10-2018, 05:58 PM
SUPmini
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We can get them all for you as you will need all the parts for the upper mounts and bump stops. it will add up quick as they aren't as cheap as you expect.
But they are easy to take apart you don't even need a spring compressor to take apart so I would just save your money and take the old ones apart.

Also we could sell you the parts used from one of our parts cars to save you a bunch.

I am looking at the Powerflex bump stop kit for my 02 MCS and wondering if you have any previous experience in using the kit. It says it is a universal kit, but does not say if it is for two struts, four struts, or what. Thoughts? I would rather not put the old equipment on the new struts and springs. Trying to update as much as I can, and aware that it is going to cost.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:43 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
this powerflex bump stop set is for 2 struts
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...-stop-kit.html

They wouldn't work for the rears as they are too large.

so in the rear I just use the stock ones
https://www.waymotorworks.com/stock-...0-r52-r53.html

Then use the rear powerflex upper shock mounts
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...-bushings.html

Otherwise used stuff is fine as the metal mount parts, and spring rubbers last.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
SUPmini (03-11-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 02:29 PM
wtorres141
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SUPmini
I am looking at the Powerflex bump stop kit for my 02 MCS and wondering if you have any previous experience in using the kit. It says it is a universal kit, but does not say if it is for two struts, four struts, or what. Thoughts? I would rather not put the old equipment on the new struts and springs. Trying to update as much as I can, and aware that it is going to cost.
I have a similar strut setup in will be dropping in to my MCS shortly, which bump stops did you go with and how much did you cut off?