R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Spring Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:45 PM
r53e
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring Maintenance

How we doin' NAM? While I've been a member for a few months already, this is my first post. Until now I've just searched threads and forums and found some great tips and advice, so thank you all. I have few questions and may come off long-winded so bare with me...

I own an 03 Indi Blue MCS and I can't go a day without ripping it on some back roads here in Upstate NY. Even though the car now has 170k on it, it's been well maintained and has no MAJOR mechanical issues...other than it gulps oil and I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm suffering from either sludge or excessive carbon build-up because of the cars lack of power at the moment. It's significantly lacking in power as compared to when I purchased it.

I purchased the car in June and have already replaced the belt tensioner coolant expansion tank plugs and pcv valve

My plan in the coming weeks is to address the oil leaks and get the car back to near factory horsepower but preferably better.

To Do List:

1. B&G Engine flush (dealer recommended)
The carbon or sludge build up is killing my power output. My thought process is; why not do a flush BEFORE I pull the head for a good cleaning wit some sort of walnut or soda blaster? are there other methods of cleaning that are safe and don't require a blaster?
Good idea/waste of time? Thoughts?

2. Pull the head & replace ALL gaskets/seals post engine flush
including: cam position sensor and throttle body on top of the complete engine gasket set I will be purchasing from WAY MOTOR WORKS.
I've heard some seals are more prone than others when it comes to oil consumption or leaks. A list of MUST REPLACE seals would be helpful.

3. While the head is off, what are some performance upgrades that can be done while the motor is opened up? what works best with these particular four cylinders?

4. 17% sc pulley reduction - obviously...
should I re oil the SC seeing as it has 170k miles and I don't know the last time (if it was ever) done.

5. Possibly new injectors..thoughts? does that mean I should upgrade fuel pump?

The rest is suspension and possibly a new front mount intercooler but it's a not a priority at the moment. Not looking to do a cam upgrade just yet either

I'm really just looking for performance advice. I'm a mechanically inclined individual, by no means an expert but I plan to be doing the work my self as I have so far to this point. With the exception of maybe the head cleaning and inspection. This is by no means my final build on the car so I'm not trying to break the bank. I just want some more juice (200 hp would be nice) out of it in a cost effective way.

I appreciate any and all feedback, thank you!

Old 03-22-2017, 05:34 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Here is the front suspension. I did mine all at once.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ll-joints.html

If you have the stock injectors and just want to replace them, which I would only do if they are bad and you are getting a fault code.

Check the power steering lines also.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hose-pics.html

The Gen 1 MINIs dont tend to get carbon build up, all I can think of is you might have an intercooler boot leak or some kind of boost leak, or just bad plugs.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-23-2017, 07:08 AM
r53e
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rrrrreally?...does the presence/lack of carbon build up have to do with the fact that it is a supercharged engine instead of a turbo? I've been reading that it's common even on the gen 1s but could be mistaken.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:18 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
No, its the normal fuel injection in the Gen 1 vs the Gen 2 turbos that have direct injection that tends to build up carbon. It can still happen in the Gen 1 MINI with normal injection but not to the extent of the Gen 2 turbo.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-23-2017, 08:25 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Save your money and don't bother with an engine flush.

Also if the head gasket itself isn't leaking don't pull the head. That is more work, time, and money than you need to invest at this time. If you did you would want to spend the extra to rebuild it with new guides and seals, and touch up valve seats.

With 170k I would do a timing chain kit as we see them stretched with 150k+ all the time
https://www.waymotorworks.com/timing...0-r52-r53.html

Otherwise just look over the rest of the engine to see what it actually needs and do those seals.

Remember the less you have to spend on the above will leave more money for fun stuff and power.

If the front control arm bushings haven't been done it's time for the powerflex.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...shing-kit.html

If you do the timing chain you will have the crank pulley off so that is a good time to upgrade to the ATI damper. Stock ones fail all the time so this will be a maint and performance upgrade at the same time.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/super-...ulley-r53.html

Otherwise do the pulley kit that will have the belt and plugs as that will give you the most HP for your buck.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-pulley-package.html

When you do your order I'll personally review it to see if I see anything you're missing.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more