R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Need a new key

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:18 PM
swiftycoop
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a new key

I was given only 1 broken key when I bought my '03 MCS, that's all the dealer had. The old key will lock/unlock the doors and start the engine. I really need a new key in case this old one quits working someday. I would really appreciate your guidance on how to go about getting a new key...is paying a Mini dealer a small fortune the only way to go, or ??

Attached Thumbnails Need a new key-key-1.jpg   Need a new key-key-2.jpg  
Old 10-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by swiftycoop
I was given only 1 broken key when I bought my '03 MCS, that's all the dealer had. ...
You bought that from a dealer and that's what he gave you? And you only have one key? Your 2003 came with three keys. Two with a remote and a small black Valet key.

Anyway, this thread will give you everything you need to know to refurb your key. And if you want to have someone do it for you, then Val will do it for you for a reasonable price.

That said, I love the switchblade option.

///Rich

Old 10-30-2016, 07:01 PM
Kaniyrret
2nd Gear
I purchased a second key from the dealer, it's not too bad. I'm thinking $150 ish? It was a pretty quick and painless process.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:04 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
+1 for refurbing the key, I did one and it was super easy. I think that the only option for replacement keys is to go through the dealer because of an immobilizer chip, or some witchcraft like that.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:31 PM
Alan Snow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kaniyrret
I purchased a second key from the dealer, it's not too bad. I'm thinking $150 ish? It was a pretty quick and painless process.
What dealer, please include a phone number? My local dealer wants $800 dollars. That's an eight, with TWO zeroes after it. Jerks.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:17 PM
dday
Neutral
New Key

Just ordered a new key for my 05 from Seattle Mini in Seattle WA and a Master key for the 05 was $160 plus $12 shipping. If you want a key that does not have all the electronics it was $90.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:46 AM
Honeybadgers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dday
Just ordered a new key for my 05 from Seattle Mini in Seattle WA and a Master key for the 05 was $160 plus $12 shipping. If you want a key that does not have all the electronics it was $90.
Piece of advice, use Mini in tacoma. The dealer down there is way, way better than the one on lake city way.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:18 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Swifty-

Rich is only partially correct. The early cars came with a remote key (which you have), a "general, non-remote" key (which I'm going to recommend that you buy another one of) and a valet key (your option to buy).

The "general, non-remote" key is a good, low cost option for those who need a second key just to have on hand. It's around $100 at the dealer and arrives ready to go. Early cars such as yours will need to have the remote key programmed into them (you program cars, not remotes) and it will cost an hour of dealer shop time for them to hook your car up to the computer and do it.

The only place to get a real key that will work on your car is at a MINI dealer- don't be fooled by eBay or other on-line key sellers. The theft protection part of your key is very hard to duplicate and that's for a reason.

That said, I do work on MINI keys and can take a look at it- perhaps it just needs a new battery and case- the switches on the circuit board seem to be intact. Do the remote functions not work?

Send me an e-mail to "minikeyhospital@earthlink.net" if you need help with your key. My rates are reasonable- much cheaper than a new key from the dealer.

Val

Old 11-04-2016, 06:44 PM
swiftycoop
2nd Gear
Thanks Val, I do intend to let you fix my remote key once I get the non-remote valet key. As soon as my Title arrives in the mail I will go to the dealer to order the manual key. Be back to you soon.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:46 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by valvashon
Swifty-

Rich is only partially correct.
The story of my life.

The early cars came with a remote key (which you have), a "general, non-remote" key (which I'm going to recommend that you buy another one of) and a valet key (your option to buy).
My early 2003 MCS made in the first week of 2003 production, came with two remote keys. One all black and the other with a silver Mini logo in addition to the valet key. Other than the valet, both my big keys had remotes.

The one with the silver logo fell apart and is now in a switchblade case. Very cool although they are not as high quality as the Mini cases. But it is a nano-second of fun each time I get in the car.

///Rich

Old 11-05-2016, 09:23 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
The story of my life.

My early 2003 MCS made in the first week of 2003 production, came with two remote keys. One all black and the other with a silver Mini logo in addition to the valet key. Other than the valet, both my big keys had remotes.

The one with the silver logo fell apart and is now in a switchblade case. Very cool although they are not as high quality as the Mini cases. But it is a nano-second of fun each time I get in the car.

///Rich
Maybe the two remote keys was an "S" thing. I bought a used '02 R50 and it came with a remote key with black wings and a non-remote key. My wife bought a used '03 R50 and it came with just a remote key with black wings.

I think our owners manuals say that the cars come with a remote and a non-remote key and a valet key, but it's too wet to go out there and get them right now!

Maybe the "S" models all came with two remote keys, one silver winged and one not, and the base models came with a black winged remote key and a non-remote key. Minutia you don't probably think about when you take delivery of a new car. If any original owners want to weigh in and let us know what keys their car came with...

Old 11-05-2016, 10:59 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Maybe the two remote keys was an "S" thing.
No, it was a new car thing. MINI USA sold all new R50/R53/R52 with two remote keys and a valet key.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:50 PM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Yep, I got a silver winged remote, a black winged remote, and a valet key for the 2003 R53 I got new in October 2002.