R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New Crank Pulley on '04 R53 - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:17 AM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
New Crank Pulley on '04 R53 - Suggestions?

I'm in the market for a new crank pulley, the MINI'S at about 115k miles (I'd say a new one couldn't hurt).

According to my research it appears the lightweight 2% & 4% are non balanced, causing the oil pump failures etc.. Basically the non dampened pulleys aren't worth the the gain if you consider the downsides.

So... If you disagree with that throw your ¢2 in please.

What're your thoughts on a new dampened pulley though? Which brand/type would you go with for a DD/some weekend thrashing?

Old 08-13-2016, 10:25 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew Riley
What're your thoughts on a new dampened pulley though? Which brand/type would you go with for a DD/some weekend thrashing?
I agree that the non-dampened pulleys are a no-go.

As to the dampened variety, I have 126,000 on my '04 R53 m/c/s, and this fall I'm replacing the original (not yet failed) OEM pulley with a brand new OEM pulley.

I figure that... A) the designers knew what the heck they were doing, and B) I've logged 126k on the original, so why not just replace it with a new pulley of known quality.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:34 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im going to copy and paste what detroit tuned said. I also immediately discounted the non-dampended pullies, but after reading what Nick said I'm rethinking it.

As far as oem vs aftermarket, ati pulley is much better than the crap oem pulley that will fall apart. The ati will not.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...so-sc-too.html

The M7 pulleys as well as the Alta crank pulleys are notorious for one of two failures: either breaking at the "spokes" of the pulley, or just spinning on the crank.

As was stated, the total "reduction percentage" comes out to just about 19-20% which is out of the compressor map, really only making hot useless air, overdriving components that don't need overdriven, and on top of that the stock injectors are only 330cc so add the pulley kit and a tune and you're nearing 80+ % duty cycle on the injectors.

Stick to the tried and true methods of either a -15% & a +2% crank pulley, or a -17% & 0% crank pulley.

As for the dampening needs, I've run a Craven 2% billet crank pulley for over 30K miles without problem, I did notice a bit more vibrations at idle, but the car also has poly bushings everywhere... We've heard from multiple credible resources that the Tritec operates smooth enough that there was no "real requirement" for a harmonic damper, but was added mostly for passenger comfort.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:56 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Thanks for the input guys!

I drive my MINI almost 100 miles a day roundtrip... So I'll stick with the dampened pulley. We all know how fatiguing it is to drive an uncomfortable/vibration riddled vehicle. If it were for pure track use, then sure I'd go with the 2 or 4 percent reduction pulley.

So, suggestions on non dampened pulleys so far are ATI... Anything else?

Old 08-13-2016, 07:14 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
The ATI is dampened, along with the PRW fluidgel for about $100 less. The "stock" ATI is actually about .8% because of a size limitation of their dampening system. ATI also make a 2% pulley. As far as I know, the PRW is only available in the stock size.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
The ATI is dampened, along with the PRW fluidgel for about $100 less. The "stock" ATI is actually about .8% because of a size limitation of their dampening system. ATI also make a 2% pulley. As far as I know, the PRW is only available in the stock size.
I'm confused, are you saying there is a dampened 2% reduction pulley or there?

Hmm, also... Thoughts on the fluid gel? Is that a fancy name slapped on there?

Old 08-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
http://www.detroittuned.com/ati-super-damper/

Yes there is a 2% ati, its about $25 more. Other sellers have them but they all sell them for around $375 from what I've found

Old 08-13-2016, 07:39 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Yes, ATI has a dampened 2% pulley, as well as what they call a stock pulley. Crank pulleys are actually larger, while SC pulleys are smaller by the percentage listed, and adding the numbers together will be close to running the equivalen SC pulley, like 15% + 2% crank is basically 17% without the extra wear on the belt.

The ATI uses a core with rubber o-rings for dampening, while the PRW uses some kind of gel inside.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:12 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
So has anyone ever researched the quality and durability of the gel vs. the rubber o-rings?

Old 08-13-2016, 08:49 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
ATI recommends rebuilding (inspecting and replacing the o-rings) about every ten years. I don't know what they charge for this. The fluidgel is supposedly a lifetime pulley with no maintenance required.

Not sure if it's true, but I read the fluidgel is better at lower RPM's than the ATI, with lower being below 7-8,000. Saving $100, possibly better dampening, and no rebuilds might make the PRW a better choice for the MINI. Hopefully, someone like Detroit Tuned, Helix, or WMW will provide some info on which they prefer.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:12 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Like i posted, detroit tuned guy is using the non dampened craven

Old 08-13-2016, 10:27 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
I saw that , but he could still have an opinion on fluid vs o-ring pulleys.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:27 PM
Photodesign
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What belt would you need for a +2 crank pulley and -15 sc pulley?

Old 08-14-2016, 07:17 AM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Great question Photodesign, I'm interested to know as well.

Originally Posted by RB-MINI
ATI recommends rebuilding (inspecting and replacing the o-rings) about every ten years. I don't know what they charge for this. The fluidgel is supposedly a lifetime pulley with no maintenance required.

Not sure if it's true, but I read the fluidgel is better at lower RPM's than the ATI, with lower being below 7-8,000. Saving $100, possibly better dampening, and no rebuilds might make the PRW a better choice for the MINI. Hopefully, someone like Detroit Tuned, Helix, or WMW will provide some info on which they prefer.
Checked Way Motor Works Instagram this morning to find this... Apparently they went with the ATI.

I like your thoughts on the fluid gel though, no rebuild kits make it seem more reliable... Or more likely to buy a completely new unit if it fails???

Last edited by Andrew Riley; 08-14-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:13 AM
Madgepetto
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Belt for 2% ati and 15% pulley

Got the 2% ATI damper and a WMW 15% pulley for the SC, Way recommends the JCW belt for this set up on the R53, worked out fine

Old 08-14-2016, 12:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Oh the old Fluid vs Inertia damper debate. I've sold and installed every brand of crank pulley out there and can say for 100% the ATI has proven to be the best. The dampening works so much better you can actually see the engine idle smoother after installing.
If you research dampers in general you'll find the debate between fluid and inertia has been going on for years before the MINI was avail again in the US. But in general you'll find inertia dampers like the ATI will dampen better throughout the RPM range, and why we use them. Heck years ago we had the RSR race team running fluid dampers and we convinced them to try the ATI. They did on one car then all of them ran them ever since.
Either way a Fluid or ATI damper will be better than the stock and keep both in stock. But either way we do NOT recommend the non dampend lightweight pulleys as they will long term damage bearings or oil pumps and also cause tuning issues. Plue like it was mentioned above that we have seen them spin on the crank, or break.
For my street car, race car and employee's cars we are all using the ATI even with it costing more we feel it is worth it.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/super-...ulley-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
Aindrid (03-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
My r53 has the stock pulley on it, but if/when it fails, I'll be putting a stock sized ati pulley on it. I have a 17% supercharger pulley so I don't need any more overdrive. If my car hadn't come with the 17% pulley already installed, I'd be tempted to go with a 15% supercharger and 2% crank pulley, mostly because I sometimes find myself increasing engine revs when at a stop light because it seems to get more/cooler air from the AC. I don't know that a 2% crank pulley would help with that, but it couldn't hurt, right?

Old 08-14-2016, 05:52 PM
glucks
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been running the ATI damper for two years on my 06 after the oem failed. ATI gets the thumbs up from me. Do yourself a favor and replace the OEM garbage before it fails. It is not too bad of a diy.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:13 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Oh the old Fluid vs Inertia damper debate. I've sold and installed every brand of crank pulley out there and can say for 100% the ATI has proven to be the best. The dampening works so much better you can actually see the engine idle smoother after installing.
If you research dampers in general you'll find the debate between fluid and inertia has been going on for years before the MINI was avail again in the US. But in general you'll find inertia dampers like the ATI will dampen better throughout the RPM range, and why we use them. Heck years ago we had the RSR race team running fluid dampers and we convinced them to try the ATI. They did on one car then all of them ran them ever since.
Either way a Fluid or ATI damper will be better than the stock and keep both in stock. But either way we do NOT recommend the non dampend lightweight pulleys as they will long term damage bearings or oil pumps and also cause tuning issues. Plue like it was mentioned above that we have seen them spin on the crank, or break.
For my street car, race car and employee's cars we are all using the ATI even with it costing more we feel it is worth it.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/super-...ulley-r53.html
+1

My R53 was on the 45k mile plan. Every 45k miles, the factory crank pulley would break. The first time it went, it took the passenger side axle with it. Then around 90k, it went again.

The factory pulley is junk. Sadly, there is no other way to look at this… So instead of waiting for WHEN the next pulley would go, I opted for the ATI from Way and have never looked back. It is much higher quality that the factory unit.

I recall getting into a discussion with a MINI service advisor and asked him if the dealership installs ATI pulleys. He said no, they are only allowed to install factory parts. I asked why? The crank pulley is junk. Off the record he agreed and said the MINI part is one of the pieces where the owner has to ask WHEN it will go as opposed to IF it will go. He agreed, the ATI is a superior product to the MINI OEM pulley. If they could, they would install the ATI pulley on all of their customer’s vehicles. But again, he is not allowed.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:28 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Speaking of the OEM crank pulleys failing...

On the way home from taking my daughter to the trampoline park, about 10 mins from the house....
CLICK CLICK CLINK CLONK CLUNK DRAGGING NOISES!

My crank pulley went out... Looks like it ripped the axle boot as well.... Sigh. It seems a hell of alot like i jinxed myself making this thread. DOH!

Old 08-14-2016, 08:10 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Speaking of the OEM crank pulleys failing...

On the way home from taking my daughter to the trampoline park, about 10 mins from the house....
CLICK CLICK CLINK CLONK CLUNK DRAGGING NOISES!

My crank pulley went out... Looks like it ripped the axle boot as well.... Sigh. It seems a hell of alot like i jinxed myself making this thread. DOH!
Oh no! Not good. Frankly, I am surprised that you lasted that long! Oh the timing…

I had my pulley DOWN to the point that I knew I was close to the 45k mile marker when I ordered my ATi from Way. It was on its way to Phoenix when my pulley went. ETA for the ATI was Friday and the pulley died on me Wednesday morning. By Saturday, I was up and running again.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:57 PM
BUGETER
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Madgepetto
Got the 2% ATI damper and a WMW 15% pulley for the SC, Way recommends the JCW belt for this set up on the R53, worked out fine

Old 08-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Sorry to disappoint guys. Looks like I'm putting an ALTA 2% reduction pulley on...

I know, I know... Non-dampened, but I found it cheap and it should be here within a day or 2. Money's tight (daughter's turning 5, big birthday plans, and a cruise coming up). After all is said and done I'll be placing my order from Way Motor Works to get the ATI dampened 2% pulley!

Thanks for all the input guys. Very much appreciated!

Old 08-15-2016, 07:06 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Sorry to disappoint guys. Looks like I'm putting an ALTA 2% reduction pulley on...

I know, I know... Non-dampened, but I found it cheap and it should be here within a day or 2. Money's tight (daughter's turning 5, big birthday plans, and a cruise coming up). After all is said and done I'll be placing my order from Way Motor Works to get the ATI dampened 2% pulley!

Thanks for all the input guys. Very much appreciated!
Wish I knew that I would have sold you a used stock one if you needed to save money. Hate to do that as I never know how long a used one will last, but better than non dampened.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Wish I knew that I would have sold you a used stock one if you needed to save money. Hate to do that as I never know how long a used one will last, but better than non dampened.
And I would've bought it from you as well. You're the best MINI parts dealer in the Southeast, I'm in SC so I'd have had it in about a day. I'll be ordering the dampened pulley from you once I get my money back up. It's hard out here being a single parent. Thanks Way!

BTW, the pulley came apart the same day I saw your employees crank pulley had failed (your post on Instagram) and I thought "Holy ****, hope that doesn't happen to me!" But I managed to get the broken piece out and tear the broken pieces of the belt off and limp it home. Saved money on a tow!