R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 P1611 Error code team

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 07:43 PM
JPP
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1611 Error code team

Well I have joined the P1611 Error code brigade.

Bit of info

We have a 2006 Mini Cooper just turned over 90K miles.

How it happened. Wife came to a stop light and the car started bucking her and died. She restarted and now SES and EP showed up. She drove it home but it would not shift. Limp Mode it is. when I got home and test drove it around the neighborhood sometimes it showed D then went back to EP code.

So I got out my code reader and it shows code P1611. I attempted to clear codes but no no avail. Looking on a few forums the battery seemed to be a potential issue. It was 7 years old and was only holding 12.2 with engine off but would peak at 14.2 running. So I replaced battery for good measures.

Went back in and reset codes, no go. Still EP, still P1611 on code reader

When driving the car I can stomp on it in M/S mode and it will shift but immediately go back to limp mode and hold RPM high and EP never clears on dash. Initially over the last 5 days it was inconsistently going in and out of EP and what gear the auto was in on the dash. Now it is hard set EP and does not change.

I always appreciate forums, GREAT source. I browsed the site and found numerous threads but there wasn't any closure on what was the end results, root cause and what was replaced to fix it (if anything).

Anybody to care to offer up what they found and did? I do not want to randomly start replacing components in hopes I find the root cause. I bought this used and good shape but it is near the "uneconomical to repair" stage as its value is ~$4000 and I do not want to pour money into it.

Thanks in advance Mini Members

Old 01-18-2016, 09:28 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
P1611 - Serial Communication Link Transmission Control Module

I know you said you've done some research with threads, but look at post #9 HERE if you haven't already. Some good information. You having that code and the EP (Emergency Program) light seems to point directly to the transmission. From all that I have seen it could be something as simple as needing a reprogram. Check the sensors and connections as well to make sure they're not damaged/dirty or connected improperly.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-18-2016, 11:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by JPP
Well I have joined the P1611 Error code brigade.

Bit of info

We have a 2006 Mini Cooper just turned over 90K miles.

How it happened. Wife came to a stop light and the car started bucking her and died. She restarted and now SES and EP showed up. She drove it home but it would not shift. Limp Mode it is. when I got home and test drove it around the neighborhood sometimes it showed D then went back to EP code.

So I got out my code reader and it shows code P1611. I attempted to clear codes but no no avail. Looking on a few forums the battery seemed to be a potential issue. It was 7 years old and was only holding 12.2 with engine off but would peak at 14.2 running. So I replaced battery for good measures.

Went back in and reset codes, no go. Still EP, still P1611 on code reader

When driving the car I can stomp on it in M/S mode and it will shift but immediately go back to limp mode and hold RPM high and EP never clears on dash. Initially over the last 5 days it was inconsistently going in and out of EP and what gear the auto was in on the dash. Now it is hard set EP and does not change.

I always appreciate forums, GREAT source. I browsed the site and found numerous threads but there wasn't any closure on what was the end results, root cause and what was replaced to fix it (if anything).

Anybody to care to offer up what they found and did? I do not want to randomly start replacing components in hopes I find the root cause. I bought this used and good shape but it is near the "uneconomical to repair" stage as its value is ~$4000 and I do not want to pour money into it.

Thanks in advance Mini Members

Did you see this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...sible-fix.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172