R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini Cooper Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:01 AM
AngeloCarrion
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper Newbie

Wassup Everyone, this is my first post. I've got 2006 Mini Cooper S (supercharged), had it for almost 2 yrs now and I love it. I've done a couple mods to my car since then, one being a pulley swap. I've upgraded to a 17% pulley system, someone asked me about installing high compression Pistons instead of stock ones. With that being said, my question to anyone willing to answe is: Is it possible to swap out the stock pistons and upgrade it to higher compression pistons for more power...

Old 11-05-2015, 08:12 AM
AngeloCarrion
1st Gear
This is a old pic of my Cooper, new photos to come...

Attached Thumbnails Mini Cooper Newbie-image-3533884405.jpg  
Old 11-05-2015, 10:10 AM
BadgeFTW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AngeloCarrion
Wassup Everyone, this is my first post. I've got 2006 Mini Cooper S (supercharged), had it for almost 2 yrs now and I love it. I've done a couple mods to my car since then, one being a pulley swap. I've upgraded to a 17% pulley system, someone asked me about installing high compression Pistons instead of stock ones. With that being said, my question to anyone willing to answe is: Is it possible to swap out the stock pistons and upgrade it to higher compression pistons for more power...
i have no idea about the pistons, but i do know that is a nice mini. Welcome to the forums. Cheers Badge from SC

Old 11-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Swapping pistons is like any other car. but typically for boosted cars you don't want to run over 9:1 compression since the pressure and the heat from the compressed air will make the motor pop. with many high boosted applications they lower the compression ratio to allow more boost. Stock is 8.3 compression ratio, going up a bit higher (to 9.0) would give you a little extra umph at lower engine speeds but would stress the motor with the super charger. I cant say what would happen for sure, but if you were to do it, you would definitely need a tune and 93 octane fuel. and possibly connecting rods. If you didn't add the pulley, I could see the higher compression pistons working better. but you have just gone from 10 psi to about 16.

for all that, it doesn't seem worth the extra cash to dump into it unless you were going to swap to a turbo. the m45 with the 17% pulley has already maxed that SC unit.

a cheaper option for more power would be to get a cam shaft that doesn't require a tune and then allow the engine to breathe with a higher flow intake and exhaust. The W11 motor is a single over head cam.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:39 PM
AngeloCarrion
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BadgeFTW
i have no idea about the pistons, but i do know that is a nice mini. Welcome to the forums. Cheers Badge from SC

Thanks a lot, I'm glad I found this forum because I'm relatively new to the whole "Mini Cooper World"...

Old 11-05-2015, 01:40 PM
AngeloCarrion
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
Swapping pistons is like any other car. but typically for boosted cars you don't want to run over 9:1 compression since the pressure and the heat from the compressed air will make the motor pop. with many high boosted applications they lower the compression ratio to allow more boost. Stock is 8.3 compression ratio, going up a bit higher (to 9.0) would give you a little extra umph at lower engine speeds but would stress the motor with the super charger. I cant say what would happen for sure, but if you were to do it, you would definitely need a tune and 93 octane fuel. and possibly connecting rods. If you didn't add the pulley, I could see the higher compression pistons working better. but you have just gone from 10 psi to about 16. for all that, it doesn't seem worth the extra cash to dump into it unless you were going to swap to a turbo. the m45 with the 17% pulley has already maxed that SC unit. a cheaper option for more power would be to get a cam shaft that doesn't require a tune and then allow the engine to breathe with a higher flow intake and exhaust. The W11 motor is a single over head cam.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help...I'm glad I found this forum...

Old 11-05-2015, 11:30 PM
AngeloCarrion
1st Gear
Swapping pistons is like any other car. but typically for boosted cars you don't want to run over 9:1 compression since the pressure and the heat from the compressed air will make the motor pop. with many high boosted applications they lower the compression ratio to allow more boost. Stock is 8.3 compression ratio, going up a bit higher (to 9.0) would give you a little extra umph at lower engine speeds but would stress the motor with the super charger. I cant say what would happen for sure, but if you were to do it, you would definitely need a tune and 93 octane fuel. and possibly connecting rods. If you didn't add the pulley, I could see the higher compression pistons working better. but you have just gone from 10 psi to about 16. for all that, it doesn't seem worth the extra cash to dump into it unless you were going to swap to a turbo. the m45 with the 17% pulley has already maxed that SC unit. a cheaper option for more power would be to get a cam shaft that doesn't require a tune and then allow the engine to breathe with a higher flow intake and exhaust. The W11 motor is a single over head cam.

Another question: Have you ever heard or do you know where I can find a performance chip for my mini?

Old 11-06-2015, 06:27 AM
BadgeFTW
3rd Gear
Another question: Have you ever heard or do you know where I can find a performance chip for my mini?
depending on where you live you can find a tuner to install a chip for you.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:40 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

tuning these cars usually isn't necessary unless you need bigger injectors. they have a self learning software that can change parameters over a couple tanks of fuel or through an ecu reset.

tuning has its better driveability and such. but is not required. as for "chips" those would be piggyback units such as unichip and the ECU will relearn around them haha, so you need to reset frequently to keep their parameters. ideally youll want an actual tune from a reputable person who can tune mini's. RMW, Mynes/Bytetronic, Waymotorworks, Detriot tuned, and there could be a few others

Old 11-06-2015, 12:14 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
This is a old pic of my Cooper, new photos to come...
Very nice! Welcome!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-06-2015, 04:38 PM
AngeloCarrion
1st Gear
tuning these cars usually isn't necessary unless you need bigger injectors. they have a self learning software that can change parameters over a couple tanks of fuel or through an ecu reset. tuning has its better driveability and such. but is not required. as for "chips" those would be piggyback units such as unichip and the ECU will relearn around them haha, so you need to reset frequently to keep their parameters. ideally youll want an actual tune from a reputable person who can tune mini's. RMW, Mynes/Bytetronic, Waymotorworks, Detriot tuned, and there could be a few others

I've seen Minis with "mist systems" that spray water on their engines to cool it down...Is this something that was made or can you purchase one?

Old 11-07-2015, 07:56 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
swapping pistons is a big and expensive job and will require more work and tuning to make it all work. There are plenty of other mods you can do for less money and easier first before going deep into the engine. Feel free to call us and we'll help build a plan.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-08-2015, 02:35 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
swapping pistons is a big and expensive job and will require more work and tuning to make it all work. There are plenty of other mods you can do for less money and easier first before going deep into the engine. Feel free to call us and we'll help build a plan.
+1 - I suspect our new forum member is just learning / dreaming big. How many of us have thought about engine builds and/or swaps etc. yet the % of actual live examples remains very small.