R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What is it with MINIs and women?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 11:51 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is it with MINIs and women?

Ok, I know the title sounds bad...

But I have a long commute that's mostly highway so I see a good number of MINIs during the week. Usually, I'm the one that's passing.

Anyway, what I've found over the last year is that when I'm passing another MINI, 9 of 10 male drivers will respond to my wave with one of their own. But 9 out of 10 women won't even look over, much less answer my wave.

Why is that?

To clarify: I'm not looking for a date or anything, just being friendly.

And is it just me? Is it regional? I'm in the Boston area.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:01 PM
theWrkncacnter
4th Gear
Maybe you're scary looking

Actually, I'm usually the one that doesn't wave. There's been so many times I've been driving my MINI and my girlfriend or whoever is riding with me will be like "aren't you going to wave?" and then I'll feel really bad because I didn't see the other MINI.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:15 PM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
Well, it's obvious that you're coming on to their MINi, you're not waving at them, your waving at their car, think that's going to get it, not. Wave at a guy in a MINI, well he thinks, another guy in a MINI, we have something in common. Must think I have a great looking MINI, like his to.

Know I'm in trouble for posting this but, whatever, I always in trouble!
Charles

Old 08-12-2004, 12:18 PM
lotsie
Banned
Not that many MINI's where I live,so when I do spot one,it seems we both wave or flash lights.Both male and female
Our plates do say"Friendly Manitoba"
I think no matter what we say we, male folks may all be in trouble over this thread

Old 08-12-2004, 12:25 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of factors. I for one sometimes zone out while I'm driving, and don't realize a MINI coming the other way until it passes me, and I see it in my rear view mirror that I missed that one. I've found an equal number of men who don't wave, so I don't think it's a sexist thing. Also my wife hates it when I wave, and she won't join in.

I find some women are totally cool and enthusiastic, and a lot of guys are busy chatting on their cell phone!

At a recent gas station fill up, I saw a MINI Ad above the filling tank, that spoke directly to me. It talked about why MINI owners aren't waving anymore and that maybe we shouldn't lose the spirit!

I pretty much wave at any MINI, and don't expect a response. I'll stick my arm out the window, and if they don't wave, oh well, no biggie. If they do, it's a pleasant surprise!

haha, I had this one encounter on a surface street a few months back. She was in a BRG, and we were at opposing stoplights. As the light changed to green, I just looked at her, and she did the same. Kind of the evil eye, like, "is this person going to wave? Should I even bother?" And we drove right on past each other.

Originally Posted by scooterboy
Ok, I know the title sounds bad...

But I have a long commute that's mostly highway so I see a good number of MINIs during the week. Usually, I'm the one that's passing.

Anyway, what I've found over the last year is that when I'm passing another MINI, 9 of 10 male drivers will respond to my wave with one of their own. But 9 out of 10 women won't even look over, much less answer my wave.

Why is that?

To clarify: I'm not looking for a date or anything, just being friendly.

And is it just me? Is it regional? I'm in the Boston area.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:34 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Yeah I know some people just don't wave, and that's fine. I'm just wondering why such a larger percentage of women don't wave than men.

Maybe they DO think it's just a come on - any women want to chime in? Then again, women on this forum are probably friendly and would wave anyway so they won't know the reason!

Old 08-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by octaneguy
At a recent gas station fill up, I saw a MINI Ad above the filling tank, that spoke directly to me. It talked about why MINI owners aren't waving anymore and that maybe we shouldn't lose the spirit!

ummmm like this...I have #35 #19 and #18 too I think...girls are smelly I throw rocks at them...LOL

But seriously MLE and I have been snubbed many times by women...maybe they are just off in thier own world...which is so scary...I mean HELLO PAY ATtENTION TO THE ROAD!!! LOL....

Old 08-12-2004, 12:43 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Ive run into many more guys that look the other way when approaching me
than ladies. Not sure why...

But most of them will acknowledge though. :smile:
Still waiting when I'll pass by one of the NAM'ers.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:54 PM
wmba
3rd Gear
I think some people buy a MINI because they are "into" the car. Others buy it because it is cute and trendy.

The people who are "into" MINIs are the ones who will be more likely to wave at other MINIs, because they respect the cars and enjoy it for more than just being a mode of transportation.

The people who buy them because they are cute and trendy would probably never read this message board, probably don't care much about the MINI community, and probably just drive the car and don't think too much about it. It probably would not occur to them to wave at another MINI. That is not to say that there is anything wrong with these people... they just have a different mindset than the type of people who read these boards, and who get excited when they see other MINIs.

Also.. some women might not want to wave back because they might think of it as flirting.... who knows.

Old 08-12-2004, 01:00 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Being so far out in the "sticks" I hardly even see another MINI even though I cover 140+ miles a day. But when I do I'm sure to wave. Most of the time I get a wave, or a flash back. :smile: For some odd reason I most often see MINIs when I'm not driving mine. Then waving just doesn't seem right.

Nik

Old 08-12-2004, 01:04 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
>The people who are "into" MINIs are the ones who will be more likely to wave at other MINIs, because they respect the cars and enjoy it for more than just being a mode of transportation.

very very true!. :smile:

Old 08-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Califzeph
5th Gear
If you think the ladies are thinking that you are coming on to them, instead of a wave, give a peace sign. Very retro, like our car, and non-threatening!

Old 08-12-2004, 01:29 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
I always try to wave when I see another MINI (and I'm a woman!). I've found that a lot of times when women (or men) don't wave back it's because they're completely oblivious. I put most of those drivers in the category of 'bought the car because it's cute and trendy' rather than actually enjoying the car as an enthusiast.

The ones that don't fit in that category are usually new to their MINI and are still a little oblivious to the reactions of people around them. When I first got mine I took a ride with Clover and she kept telling me about all the folks on the street and in other cars who were looking at Peanut; I didn't see any of them! Now that I'm much more comfortable with the car, I notice those things a lot more!

Old 08-12-2004, 01:57 PM
wmba
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Also my wife hates it when I wave, and she won't join in.
Yeah.... my wife thinks it's silly too... but then again, she always points out other MINI's when she sees them. I think she is a "closet waver"! :smile:

Old 08-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Storm180
3rd Gear
Since the last thread that this was the subject of I've noticed a lot more MINI owners waving. It's great, I was beginnning to lose faith in our growing community.

But seriously, how can waving be flirting. Chances are you're not going to see this person again (at least not for a while). Wave..it'll make you feel good. :smile:

Old 08-12-2004, 02:08 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I'm afraid some women have adopted the "eyes straight ahead, all-business" approach that (I hear) women tourists in Italy have to adopt. Keeps strangers at bay. If this is true, I can't say as I blame them given all the crazies out there. We've all heard those stories and I do understand.

Female owners that I've met or waved at before (especially those in my neighborhood) do wave, but their comfort level is much greater and that's super.

What a joy it is, though, to see a female MINI enthusiast (owner or not) who loves MINIs too much to allow for inhibitions..........and waves like mad. That's really cool.

As for guys......IMHO, they're not worth figuring out so who cares.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
I can't seem to get ANYONE to wave back at me around here, male or female.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:14 PM
MotorCity_LOLA
1st Gear
I must say that i agree. 99% of the time, the gals will not wave.

I know with having a "different" car like a mini, it makes you feel like youre in on a cool secret with other mini drivers as well.

And, as someone else said, people either buy the car beacuse of the idea behind the mini and "spirited motoring" or they buy it because its cutesty.

Its the same thing with a lot of Jeep wrangler drivers. We wave at each other because we know its not just about driving a car!

I wave my little hand off anytime i see another mini!

Old 08-12-2004, 02:49 PM
bonz
3rd Gear
Jerseygirl, SUPRMINI & I'll wave at you !!!

Old 08-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bonz
Jerseygirl, SUPRMINI & I'll wave at you !!!
Thanks! So if I see someone around here waving I'll know it's you, because it sure won't be one of the "locals".

Old 08-12-2004, 03:02 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i keep trying to explain to my friends why i wave at minis.. yet they never seem to understand..

to me it's this.... aura the mini has.. i see plenty of women driving the mini and rarely does one replies... a friend of mine who also drives a mini gets plenty of waves from girls.. yet why i never get one i'll never understand

according to him.. he thinks it's the way you wave.. yet most of the time the women are so stuck up doing whatever they are doing to care my wave.. they usually dont look...

ya.. when ur single.... life is... different!

Old 08-12-2004, 03:22 PM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
Well, let me post this. I have had some recent situations, people passing and giving me a thumbs-up. They were, for the most part, in there teens. I think that is great, another group of boomers, maybe after the X-boomers, we can have the... MINI-boomers? Just a thought.
Charles

Old 08-12-2004, 04:02 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CharlesWil
Well, let me post this. I have had some recent situations, people passing and giving me a thumbs-up.
\

Every time a really young kid gets excited over my car they give the thumbs up. Noone else does this.. its just the under teenage crowd w/ two thumbs up and grinning like mad. I think they put out a memo or something... I love it!

Old 08-12-2004, 04:12 PM
camelpilot
Banned
i dont have that problem. for me all the girls wave and smile, even the hotties.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:29 PM
wkndracr
4th Gear
Most of the time I still wave, actually, I give more of a peace sign. It's definitely a nice feeling to get a wave back. I waved to a guy driving an old MG (TD?) the other week and got a wave back too. That was cool, kind of a "cross brand" wave. Anyone ever get a wave from a New Beetle or PT driver?

Quick Reply: R50/53 What is it with MINIs and women?