R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 Not Starting :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:03 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Time to get the dealer to buy the car back and for you to get a different car. This one has been overheated too many times and I would guess needs more than a head gasket.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:09 AM
maniacalmorgan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quikmni
Time to get the dealer to buy the car back and for you to get a different car. This one has been overheated too many times and I would guess needs more than a head gasket.
Chances are they knew it had a head gasket problem. It started overheating after 10 days or so. I did drive it a couple times after that, but only after refilling the coolant. Once it kept spewing the coolant no matter what I did, I decided to take it in. So sad... I enjoyed owning an R53 :(. Also, need to figure out what's going to happen with my APR (I assume the dealer won't pay me more than I paid them) as well as the alarm, radio, and speakers I put in.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:13 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by maniacalmorgan
So, final update. Car has a blown head gasket. The car has now been in the shop longer than it's been in my possession.
Sorry to hear this. Let us know what happens and if the dealer lets the specialty shop do the repair.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-10-2015, 10:15 AM
maniacalmorgan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Sorry to hear this. Let us know what happens and if the dealer lets the specialty shop do the repair.
The specialty shop checked the fan and the thermostat. They were able to nail down the diagnosis as 100% blown head gasket. The dealer has now asked for them to stop and get the car towed back to them, I'm assuming for a second opinion.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
The specialty shop checked the fan and the thermostat. They were able to nail down the diagnosis as 100% blown head gasket. The dealer has now asked for them to stop and get the car towed back to them, I'm assuming for a second opinion.
Let us know what happens. Sorry you had to deal with this right after you bought it.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Let us know what happens. Sorry you had to deal with this right after you bought it.
Like everyone else said, so sorry to hear about your loss of the MINI. Hope all works out, keep us posted.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:25 AM
maniacalmorgan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Like everyone else said, so sorry to hear about your loss of the MINI. Hope all works out, keep us posted.
Dealer is fighting with his insurance company over who's paying for the repairs. Either way, I should have my car back by the end of next week. There's also a slight chance I might have a new engine. We shall see! I'll have been without my car for 4.5 weeks. I just want my baby back!

Old 09-18-2015, 11:55 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Well, when you do get her back, I hope she's in tip top condition and you can really start enjoying her.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:23 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Dealer is fighting with his insurance company over who's paying for the repairs. Either way, I should have my car back by the end of next week. There's also a slight chance I might have a new engine. We shall see! I'll have been without my car for 4.5 weeks. I just want my baby back!
I vote for a new engine Either way keep us updated, they should provide you with a rental through there insurance no?

Old 09-28-2015, 10:29 AM
maniacalmorgan
1st Gear
Thanks for everyone following this thread. The dealer is going to buy back my car, so I will no longer be a MINI owner. I am thinking about getting either an F56 or a Subaru. Either way, we'll see. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2015, 10:51 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Thanks for everyone following this thread. The dealer is going to buy back my car, so I will no longer be a MINI owner. I am thinking about getting either an F56 or a Subaru. Either way, we'll see. Thanks!
Bummer. Glad they're buying it back, but sorry to hear you weren't able to fully enjoy the MINI. Hopefully you get back into one, but if you have any questions about a Subaru you can PM me! (I have a very extensive background in them and currently own an STi race car. )

Old 09-28-2015, 11:32 AM
XsV
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man, that sucks. What a bunch of turds. They had to know it was having issues if a head gasket blew. I'm pretty surprised if it was as bad as it was and there wasn't any oil/coolant mix or pretty blue smoke out the tailpipe.

Anyhow, sorry about the unfortunate Mini experience. I've had mine since June and I absolutely love it and as most people on here can attest to, they are amazing cars. GL with future car endeavors!

Old 09-28-2015, 01:58 PM
maniacalmorgan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by XsV
Man, that sucks. What a bunch of turds. They had to know it was having issues if a head gasket blew. I'm pretty surprised if it was as bad as it was and there wasn't any oil/coolant mix or pretty blue smoke out the tailpipe.

Anyhow, sorry about the unfortunate Mini experience. I've had mine since June and I absolutely love it and as most people on here can attest to, they are amazing cars. GL with future car endeavors!
Thanks for the love. We'll see how things pan out. I'm partially afraid of used cars now... I feel like new or certified is the only way to go. *sigh*

Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Thanks for the love. We'll see how things pan out. I'm partially afraid of used cars now... I feel like new or certified is the only way to go. *sigh*
Dont let one lemon scare you away. These cars are awesome! If you take care of them they will take care of you. I have a r53 with 134k on it and wouldnt trade it for anything. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing