R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Wanted: MINI ads

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 07:19 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been attempting to locate a couple MINI ads that have been out for awhile now.
Firstly the MINI barf bag that was discussed awhile back. Could anyone tell me what mag they located that in? I've found a book store that can locate old copies of mags, but I need to know which it originated in.
As well as that recent Playboy 'gettin it on' diagram. Which copy of the mag and month was it in?
Any help in the matter would be appreciated.
Cheers,

Old 11-07-2002, 07:32 PM
xbritt
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MAXIM from a 2 of 3 months ago had the barf bag......and then the MINI air freshener (not too sure which was first).

Old 11-07-2002, 07:43 PM
DaveFrehley
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the barf bag was in the september 2001 issue?? But i'm NOT too sure about that?!?!

Where is the mini air freshener?? I've never seen that one!!!

The first ad i found (and still have) was a one page insert with a picture of a mini on one side, and white oval stickers on the other side with state initials (i.e. SC, FL) etc..... I've also got some other great ones! Mostly from maxim, but one cute one from rolling stone!

Good luck finding the ads! If you find any that i may not know of, let me know! (The air freshener for example!)

Old 11-07-2002, 08:43 PM
flkmkr
2nd Gear
MINI-Madman,

The Playboy issue with the "HOW TO MOTOR IN A MINI" is for December. Let me know if you can't find it. If you send me a self-addressed stamped envelope I'll send it to you. Believe it are not I rarely ever more than skim through them, so it's in clean shape. Playboy is pretty sedate nowadays, but does have some good articles

Old 11-07-2002, 10:10 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
MINI-Madman,
Be careful when you hunt for the old mags. I think that the really special MINI ads (barf bags and air fresheners) were only in the subscription copies of magazines, not in newstand copies. I have a couple of copies of each. Have you seen the MINI Motoring Games Official Rulebook wheel or the toggle switch decals? Cool!

Old 11-08-2002, 05:33 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Jason: I had it in the back of my head that the Playboy ad was in Nov. issue. So that's what I was looking for. But all the stores are into the Dec. issues already. Is it Dec for sure?
Would you have a barf bag for sale?

Thanx Ken. Never thought of that. I'll keep my eyes pealed. Some book stores have kept old mags that didn't sell. If I find the time, I'll sit and flip through some, before I buy it. If you have more than one copy of the mag with the barf bag in it, I'd be willing to send you a few bucks your way to buy it off ya.

This is turning into quite the hunt for something so little. But it's always the thrill of the hunt that keeps me from insanity.

Cheers,

Old 11-08-2002, 05:39 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
I just got another Barf Bag and freshener from my dealer the other day. I stopped in and my Motoring Advisor had a bunch. She was giving them out to owners and people leaving deposits.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:00 AM
flkmkr
2nd Gear
>>Jason: I had it in the back of my head that the Playboy ad was in Nov. issue. So that's what I was looking for. But all the stores are into the Dec. issues already. Is it Dec for sure?
>>Would you have a barf bag for sale?
>>I still have the November issue with Kristy Swanson on the cover and there is no barf bag in site. My December issue has Dita Von Teese on the cover and has the "How To Motor In A MINI" article in it. As Ken said it may be different for me since mine come to me via subsciption.

If you want the december one email me to get my address.

Best,

Jason

Old 11-08-2002, 07:31 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>I just got another Barf Bag and freshener from my dealer the other day. I stopped in and my Motoring Advisor had a bunch. She was giving them out to owners and people leaving deposits.>>>>

That's great. I had to buy the MINI Barf Bag off of Ebay. I keep it in the pocket behind the passenger seat. What a great conversation piece that is!

Old 11-09-2002, 02:17 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
>>I just got another Barf Bag and freshener from my dealer the other day. I stopped in and my Motoring Advisor had a bunch. She was giving them out to owners and people leaving deposits.

Any way of conning them into giving you one of each for another time? I'll be your best friend. Let me know what it'll be worth to ya if you want to put a dollar amount to it.
Just picked up the Playboy ad. Thanx anyways Jason.
Cheers,

Old 11-09-2002, 04:18 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
I have hanging in my office...a mini "color-forms-like" set.
It was given to me by a friend who also gave me the infamous mini barffff bag ...
It's very cool,,, as you can put all different kinds of things on the mini...ie
wheels, flames, luggage racks, exhausts, numbers...etc.etc.
I'll scan it if ya like and post a pic.
Peace,
D

Old 11-09-2002, 02:12 PM
Heermann
1st Gear
One of the really cool ads appeared in a much earlier Playboy magazine. I have it posted on my wall, and I suspect it appeared around May or June as I was just taking delivery of my MCS at that time. It was designed to replicate a Playboy centerfold, 3 panel, pull-out. featuring a MCS in an incredible old-English garage, with a full moon peeping in through the opening of the garage door. Totally awesome. The same ad also played off the Playboy Party Jokes feature, that appears on the reverse side of all centerfolds. The whole thing was completely creative, and I assume it was created as an ad through the Mini ad agency.

Old 11-09-2002, 02:13 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
>>I have hanging in my office...a mini "color-forms-like" set.
>>It was given to me by a friend who also gave me the infamous mini barffff bag ...
>>It's very cool,,, as you can put all different kinds of things on the mini...ie
>>wheels, flames, luggage racks, exhausts, numbers...etc.etc.
>>I'll scan it if ya like and post a pic.
>>Peace,
>>D

Thanx, but I have that one already. I'll just have to keep a sharper eye out for MINI related stuff from now on I guess.
Cheers,