R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Head gaskets, supercharges, and an 11 year old nightmare machine

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are more ways to fix things then there are things to fix. Some better than others, some cheaper...I personally appreciate everyone's input...in the end it gives me options of quality, longevity and $$ savings. It is my choice in the end. Motor On.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:04 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Thread Re-Opened. You are allowed to express a difference of opinion, you are not allowed to attack others in the process of doing so. In the interest of full disclosure, there were posts removed due to their inability to be respectful that explained concerns over the methods described in the OP. The removal is not a condoning of any particular method, but purely a function of action taken to respond to those individuals who failed to express themselves in a respectful manner. Also several posts were removed of those who were piling onto the off topic personal attack tangents, please keep the technical threads on topic, and go to the OT forum if you wish to wander way off of the technical side of things (and those post must be respectful as well).

Last edited by Motor On; 12-30-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:15 AM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Supercharger oil

I have access to a high speed high heat turbine oil. I changed my sc oil at 60000 miles. Now at 130000 with 17% pully. Only side effect is it seemed to make sc a lil quiter. If anyone is interested in the oil pm me. It comes in 55 gallon barrels but I might be able to package it in small bottles

QUOTE=Martin Brenneke;4017947]By using 90 weight oil in supercharger might you not have to change it out and use the Gm or eaton special oil. Will 90 weight work as well as the special oil? just asking.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-05-2015, 11:33 PM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dhabutcher
I have access to a high speed high heat turbine oil. I changed my sc oil at 60000 miles. Now at 130000 with 17% pully. Only side effect is it seemed to make sc a lil quiter. If anyone is interested in the oil pm me. It comes in 55 gallon barrels but I might be able to package it in small bottles

QUOTE=Martin Brenneke;4017947]By using 90 weight oil in supercharger might you not have to change it out and use the Gm or eaton special oil. Will 90 weight work as well as the special oil? just asking.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe you have some lube to make our Minis last longer too?

Old 07-16-2015, 09:17 AM
buswork
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
6 Month Update

8 month update, actually. Car just turned 140k (5k since top end and SC rebuild), no problems. The mileage is a little light since I travel for work a lot, but so far, so good.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:50 AM
buswork
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WTMF
When I first read Buswork's post, I thought it was a HOAX from Stiegemeier or Embree or Jon Bond or Ed Martinez (PSE) or some other self proclaimed Mini M45 hack. However, the length of the diatribe ruled them out because they don't have the time nor inclination to give away the valuable??? technical??? information that Buswork provided. Beware, everything that Buswork offered will get you into trouble. My problem with Buswork's nonsense is that he/she and others like him/her will sell the poor little Mini to an unsuspecting person who will inherit the pending high repair cost! Shame on Buswork and those who encourage him.
I'm not saying I did it the right way, far from it. I did it my way (cue Sinatra). I also don't have any plans on selling the car. It's paid off and it runs for cheap, plus I'm a rock-it-til-the-wheels-fall-off kinda guy. But from further on in the thread, caveat emptor. I've been burned by that in the past (****ing Hyundai) and have learned from it.

Correct repair is obviously to take it to Mini and have them replace the supercharger.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Sprout06
1st Gear
Great write up. I rebuilt the engine on my 06 R53 after I bought the car for $500 (short story). I rebuilt the head and tore down the SC, fortunately everything was in good shape so I replaced the oil with the recommended GM stuff. I love your IDGAS*** attitude. If it makes sense do it! By the way I used a screw driver too...

Randy

Old 10-22-2020, 10:44 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by WTMF
When I first read Buswork's post, I thought it was a HOAX from Stiegemeier or Embree or Jon Bond or Ed Martinez (PSE) or some other self proclaimed Mini M45 hack. However, the length of the diatribe ruled them out because they don't have the time nor inclination to give away the valuable??? technical??? information that Buswork provided. Beware, everything that Buswork offered will get you into trouble. My problem with Buswork's nonsense is that he/she and others like him/her will sell the poor little Mini to an unsuspecting person who will inherit the pending high repair cost! Shame on Buswork and those who encourage him.
This is an old thread and while I see your point of view here, nothing the OP suggests that he is doing the repair as a how-to, or as a 'how-to so you can sell it immediately' type scenario for an 'unsuspecting buyer'. In fact he said if it lasts til 200K it's a win, which implies he's not getting rid of it, but rather keeping his baby working. I am glad he posted, and was honest in his trials and tribulations.

For me, 6 years later with a new to me R53, posts like the OP's are invaluable.

Last edited by MINI_42; 10-22-2020 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Forgot
Old 10-31-2020, 10:06 AM
ghostwrench
4th Gear
Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI_42
This is an old thread and while I see your point of view here, nothing the OP suggests that he is doing the repair as a how-to, or as a 'how-to so you can sell it immediately' type scenario for an 'unsuspecting buyer'. In fact he said if it lasts til 200K it's a win, which implies he's not getting rid of it, but rather keeping his baby working. I am glad he posted, and was honest in his trials and tribulations.

For me, 6 years later with a new to me R53, posts like the OP's are invaluable.

Agree!

As I currently have the supercharger death rattle, I have been researching my repair options because just walking away from the car is not an option - it's otherwise in fantastic condition for a 17 year old, 157k mile car. Posts like this are helpful as I found information somewhere that the drive gear at rear of the supercharger is not available and OP was able to get that gear so that's helpful.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (11-01-2020)