R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Totally stumped..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 01:44 PM
jakestner
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally stumped..

for the past month or so I have been wanting a mini S, there is only two things i see as a problem thus far, FWD and small displacement. Other then that i love the dang car :smile: . I have also been looking at some used audi S4's 2000 model but they weight like 3800lbs so that stoped me but I liked the AWD. I also looked a WRX but i just don't really like the looks although the performance is there and it is AWD. I also thought about a e36 m3 but i heard there isn't much performance mods out there for them. I'm stumped. HELP!

Old 06-28-2004, 01:56 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go test drive one. That's all it took for me.

Performance aside, the MINI has personality and the mods are limitless.

AWD is cool but not great. I also own a Subaru Forester X and my MINI is much more nimble.

Last edited by dickdavid; 06-28-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:56 PM
pezhead444
2nd Gear
I guess there is only one thing to do, order a MINI Cooper S and mod it till your hearts content. If you want AWD and performance you are going to have to pay. :smile:

Old 06-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want a larger and faster car with great styling, get the Audi or BMW

If you can live with the looks of the WRX and want to kick some Audi and BMW butt, get the WRX

If you want a quick and nimble car with unbelievably fun handling, get the MINI

Old 06-28-2004, 02:23 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Two days ago I spanked a WRX from a dead stop up to about 110. I had him by about 6-7 car lengths. He was just starting to close (about 1/2 car length) when we both had to back out due to traffic. A couple of intersections later, I spanked him again by 10 car lenghts 0 to about 80mph but there was an S curve involved on that run. Get the Mini, you'll love it .

Old 06-28-2004, 02:59 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Jakestner,

Welcome to NAM.

The MCS is loads of fun to drive from the stock version to a modded one like Apexer's.
Small displacement engine is not a problem and if you'd like more it's easy to gain 30+ HP in a hurry. FWD is not generally a problem but if you really want more grip fast then a Quaife LSD and lightweight flywheel from UUC or RDR might be the ticket or go for a 2005 MCS with LSD as a factory option.

Time for a test drive for you. Choose a MCS with 16" wheels if you can with no sunroof and stock stereo with standard headlights. This is a basic setup which is lighter in weight and good for performance.

Aloha.

Originally Posted by apexer
Two days ago I spanked a WRX from a dead stop up to about 110. I had him by about 6-7 car lengths. He was just starting to close (about 1/2 car length) when we both had to back out due to traffic. A couple of intersections later, I spanked him again by 10 car lenghts 0 to about 80mph but there was an S curve involved on that run. Get the Mini, you'll love it .
Apexer,
Please note the NAM guidelines on mentioning your activities concerning street driving.

Old 06-28-2004, 04:50 PM
C4
Banned
I come from cars with big displacement engines....the MINI is in a class all by itself....I own 2 of them ('02 Cooper and '04 MCS).

When I am driving the MCS I always forget I have a 1.6L engine under the hood. My car is totally stock and unmodded and I can tell you that right out of the box, the MCS feels PLENTY powerful and quick for everyday driving, so much so that you soon forget you are driving a car with a small engine, rather often times it feels like a powerful V6 in the miod to upper power range thanks to the Eaton supercharger arragement. 163HP (For '05 will be 170HP) on a 2700 pound car is not bad at all. The 1.6L in both MINI versions have plenty low end torque, something missing from most Japanese compacts such as Hondas.

The technology is amazing, so does the handling and overall driving experience. There are not enough words on a message board that can accurately describe what is it like to be behind the wheel of these cars...you just have to go for a test drive and experienced it for yourself.

The MINI is a TOTAL PACKAGE, in other words the "Real McCoy" of the pocket rocket class....Affordable, great mileage, great power, excellent standard equipment, cool options, awesome colors and package combinations. safety, engineering, resale value, unique looks, high quality. etc, you name it, you just can't go wrong with the MINI.

Sure there are WRXs, EVOs, Bimmers, Audis, etc but all those cars in base trim are all more expensive than a MINI.

Remember.... The MINI is NOT your everyday FWD/small engined econobox.

If you want a cheap, FWD ECONOBOX, look no further than Scion. The MINI is a driver's car for under $20K.

Old 06-28-2004, 04:58 PM
C4
Banned
FWD is what makes the MINI a MINI!. Think of it.....the original classic Mini launched in 1959 was the world's first mass produced and inexpensive FWD car. The classic Mini won non less than 3 Monte Carlo Rally races in the 1960's on a class dominated mostly by super cars with big displacement engines and RWD. The classic Mini spanked Porsches, Ferraris, Mercedes, BMWs of the time. This is a car that is about 1/4 smaller than the current car, about 1000 pounds less, with 10 inch wheels, a 998cc or 1300cc engine, less than 80HP and FWD, quite a feat eh? The Mini did the unthinkable and proved the world wrong back then that cars with big engines and RWD are the only ones worthy and capable of winning tough endurance races such as the Monte Carlo competition.

The current BMW MINI is perhaps one of the best handling and most balanced FWD cars in the planet barnone and continues with the tradition that still confirms that it is possible to build well balanced and excellent handling front drivers.

I also came from the "50/50" weight balance and RWD school of thinking, but the MINI has forever changed my perceptions in regards to small cars, small engines and FWD in general.

Old 06-28-2004, 05:05 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
I'm fascinated by the want of so many for AWD. I note, dear thread originator, that you hail from Orlando--what on earth would you need it for? The MCS does fine in the rain (hydroplaning on occasion is sporty) and I don't suspect you get much snow. Unless of course you're a rally driver, what's the pull for AWD?

Old 06-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Trippy
Banned
AWD is a very nice thing.

Ohhhhh I had a 1988 VW Quantum SYNCHRO stationwagon here in MN, and you could lock three of the four wheels together.

I'd be at a stoplight next to some giant SUV, I'd floor it and leave three snow rooster-tails as I blew away from the monster.

I just LOVED AWD it is a think of beauty.

Old 06-28-2004, 05:18 PM
C4
Banned
AWD is mostly useful in the "snowbelt" states. Here in Florida is not really a requirement, sure you have nice grip, etc but it is totally wasted IMO.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:07 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
We have an 04 Allroad A6 with the Twin Turbo V-6 and a V-6 Quattro A4........
If I had to choose between the Allroad and the MINI...no problem, MINI stays.....

It would be fecking close with the A4 though.....fecking close.......

Old 06-29-2004, 11:05 AM
jakestner
2nd Gear
I just wished that the Elise isn't going to be $40G's, that would solve all my problems. hehe

Last edited by jakestner; 06-29-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:12 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
Personally I prefer rear wheel drive, and the lack of it was a big sticking point in my decision to buy a Mini. Now that I've got the car, I hardly miss rwd at all. I added a rear sway and it sticks like glue w/o the annoying understeer that causes most fwd cars to suck. The only things this car lacks are an LSD, and the abillity to hang the rear end out in a corner with the throttle.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:16 AM
jakestner
2nd Gear
$$$ wise, whats the average price for a aftermarket LSD? ( having someone install it for you )

Old 06-29-2004, 11:21 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
I believe it's around $1500-2000 to have a Quaife installed. Something like $1k for the LSD + labor to get into the trans. Around 12/04 Mini will start offering a factory LSD option.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:25 AM
jakestner
2nd Gear
well, when buying a MCS i would probably opt. for a used one.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:46 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
If you don't mind me asking, why would you go with used over new? With the resale as high as it is, the new ones aren't much more.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:53 AM
jakestner
2nd Gear
dunno, never thought about it like that. I guess i'm just used to owning cars that loose valuse right when u drive it off the showroom ( owning several mustangs already )

Old 06-29-2004, 12:20 PM
jinubob81
4th Gear
r32?

Old 06-29-2004, 12:27 PM
jakestner
2nd Gear
yeah, that is a really nice ride. I dunno, i think i'm finally totally convenced on the MiniS

Old 06-29-2004, 12:53 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
I thought I read that in Jan the 05 MCS could be had with a LSD. It would not be much of a wait to get an 05 MCS with LSD from the factory.

Old 06-29-2004, 01:02 PM
jakestner
2nd Gear
Thanks guys, i think i made up my mind. i'm going to order a 05 mcs :smile: thanks for the help deciding!! i am now one of you.

Old 06-29-2004, 01:20 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jakestner
dunno, never thought about it like that. I guess i'm just used to owning cars that loose valuse right when u drive it off the showroom ( owning several mustangs already )
Same here, this is my first new car. I had intended to buy used, but it just made more sense to me to buy this car new.

Old 06-29-2004, 02:16 PM
MINISQL
3rd Gear
Hey Jake, I'm in Otown too. Talk to Sean at Downtown Mini. He does pulleys and he might be willing to do a LSD for you. They also had some nice pre-owned MCS there last week. You'd probably want to talk to Mike Priest(certified Mini AND MINI nut) or Mike Torre, he's the sales mgr. They are great people. One of the MCS had already been bumped up to 185hp. Last week they organized a nice rally from downtown, through Windermere and out to lakeridge Winery in Clermont. The rally was free, lunch was free, and the T-shirts for the pilot and navigator were free. It was their second rally, they had a good turn-out and everyone had a lot of fun. Mike Priest runs FLAME (Florida Mini Enthusiasts) and has several Classic Minis as well as new ones. Say Hi for me when you go.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Totally stumped..