R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New mini, a couple issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:49 PM
OCVeloman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New mini, a couple issues

The day has come and my mini arrived this morning. 2005 Cooper S. As seems commonplace, i have a couple incidental irritants. First and most importantly, the tach isn't lighting or functioning; is there something common I'm overlooking? Secondly, the brake lights stay on unless you cycle the key three times before exiting the car? Are either of these common? Searched and came up dry. Thanks!

Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
I would recommend getting the instrument cluster and light control module scanned for error codes.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Have not heard of either one being a problem. Very odd issue with the brake lights. Good luck and let us know what you find out in case someone else is experiencing the same issue.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:19 PM
OCVeloman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mib4840
Have not heard of either one being a problem. Very odd issue with the brake lights. Good luck and let us know what you find out in case someone else is experiencing the same issue.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...hts-stuck.html

Sounds like a semi common problem.... :(

Old 03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Have your Body Control Module (BC1) checked. Water is its worst enemy.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As stated above have your BCM ( body control module) checked out, I'm guessing that you have a sunroof, sometimes the drain tube clogs and the water will travel to the BCM, if is bad the part alone is about 375.00 at ECS plus it need programming from the dealer, I hope that's not you issue

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...dule/ES169199/

Old 03-11-2014, 04:18 PM
OCVeloman
2nd Gear
EFFFF me! Yup, have the sunroof. guess i need to look at unclogging the drains and having the BC1 checked. I had high hopes, a couple people mentioned they'd fixed the issue by replacing the brake light switch.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:39 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by OCVeloman
EFFFF me! Yup, have the sunroof. guess i need to look at unclogging the drains and having the BC1 checked. I had high hopes, a couple people mentioned they'd fixed the issue by replacing the brake light switch.
I seriously hope that it is just switch, sorry that you ownership started this way. Let us know what you find out

Old 03-11-2014, 04:48 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Check this out, with pics :-) hope it helps

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3643167

Old 03-12-2014, 06:59 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Check for clogged or dislodged drains, esp front passenger side. Hope it hasn't gone thru flooded streets.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:31 AM
OCVeloman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minibx
Check this out, with pics :-) hope it helps

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3643167
Awesome link, thank you! i hope it's that easy. If not, I spent 30 minutes for no reason. The weird part about the brake lights is the shipping guy told me if i cycle the key three times, the brake lights will go off and they do... makes no sense to me.

Originally Posted by minsanity
Check for clogged or dislodged drains, esp front passenger side. Hope it hasn't gone thru flooded streets.
How does one "check" for the clogged drain? I looked at the drains and need to find some sort of auger to clear them. I have compressed air at my shop but, from reading on here, it seems that can actually rip the drains off?

Let this be a lesson to everyone, buying a car online is idiotic! lol. The tach being out and the brake lights being on lead me to believe this car will need an expensive repair and likely need new carpet from however long it's been soaking. Regardless, I'm enjoying the hell out of driving it!

Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by OCVeloman
.......likely need new carpet from however long it's been soaking. Regardless, I'm enjoying the hell out of driving it!
Naww...carpet is 100% synthetic fiber....clean and dry...
if moldy/mildewed....you would have smelled it by now...
Don't assume it is water...electronics DO FAIL from AGE....the capacitors can leak their oils, then fail....
Nothing beats a preBUY inspection and some hands on time....Sounds like you MIGHT have gotten screwed...but hopefully we can help you out!! Good Luck!

Old 03-12-2014, 11:50 AM
OCVeloman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Naww...carpet is 100% synthetic fiber....clean and dry...
if moldy/mildewed....you would have smelled it by now...
Don't assume it is water...electronics DO FAIL from AGE....the capacitors can leak their oils, then fail....
Nothing beats a preBUY inspection and some hands on time....Sounds like you MIGHT have gotten screwed...but hopefully we can help you out!! Good Luck!
Seems a pre-buy inspection wouldn't have mattered. I have pictures sent from the seller with the tach functioning... I'm beginning to think the car hauler left the window down as it was shipped during the storm or the century down here. Carpets are drying now but the tach still doesn't work. :(

On the bright side, did an ECU reset an the car seems to drive awesome. Going to have the local mini pro take a look and see what he thinks. Thanks for the help so far, guys!

Old 03-12-2014, 12:04 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
If you want to check your sunroof for leaks just poor water down the area of the drain tubes. They can be found with the sunroof open. Theres a channel the water goes into and then you will see a little drain hole in front. One on driver side and one on passenger side. Most of the time the sunroof drains aren't clogged but rather the drain tubes come apart under your headliner. good luck!

Old 03-13-2014, 05:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Thanks for the mention minibx.

If you do replace the BCM there are two different ones , one for the MINI Convertible ( R52 ) and one for the MINI Hardtop R50 / R53.

Basic Module - R52 MINI Convertible Part # 61356982115

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61356982115/

&&

Basic Module - R50 / R53 MINI Hardtop Part # 61356982114

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61356982114/

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-13-2014, 08:07 AM
OCVeloman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
If you want to check your sunroof for leaks just poor water down the area of the drain tubes. They can be found with the sunroof open. Theres a channel the water goes into and then you will see a little drain hole in front. One on driver side and one on passenger side. Most of the time the sunroof drains aren't clogged but rather the drain tubes come apart under your headliner. good luck!
Ripped apart my headliner to find the driver's drain was not connected to the down-tube. I used compressed air to blow out the lower drain, reconnected the rubber flex line and pulled zip-ties on each end so they weren't just connected with surface tension. Took about 40 minutes because i was working around the airbag and don't exactly have dainty hands. All in all, easy project that definitely saved me some money, thanks for the heads up!

Used this guy's video for guidance and worked great:

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Thanks for the mention minibx.

If you do replace the BCM there are two different ones , one for the MINI Convertible ( R52 ) and one for the MINI Hardtop R50 / R53.

Basic Module - R52 MINI Convertible Part # 61356982115

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61356982115/

&&

Basic Module - R50 / R53 MINI Hardtop Part # 61356982114

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61356982114/

Thanks
I'm hoping i don't need to replace my BC1 as my local mini tech said that in 2005, they added a cover to the BC1 module so a wet BC1 was really a 2002-2004 problem. I am; however, going to drop the car off with him tonight and will know for sure soon enough. Appreciate the comment!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Some had luck w/ cleaning w/ contact cleaner & thoro drying. A friend's r50 got flooded. We tried cleaning....couldn't save it. New BC1 solved all the X-File symptoms.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:45 AM
OCVeloman
2nd Gear
Just realized, i have a low oil pressure coming on at idle too.... God Damn.... need to just drop this thing off at a shop before it explodes.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:24 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Let this be a lesson to everyone, buying a car online is idiotic! lol.
um, why would you do this exactly?... not sure i would do this even with a NEW car...

Old 03-13-2014, 09:36 AM
OCVeloman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
um, why would you do this exactly?... not sure i would do this even with a NEW car...
What does asking that question help? As though haven't already received a swift kick in the nuts? It was a great deal, clean car, a lot of pictures, service records, clean carfax and autocheck. Hell, i didn't know what to look for in these cars. Had it been a town over, i would've driven it and purchased it on the way it drives. I likely wouldn't have noticed the issues until i got home and would be left with the same lack of recourse. Lecture someone else, I'm getting my *** bruised enough by this as it is.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:47 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
alright man, im sorry. just relax. we are all here to help, just take the slight bashings that come with being a mini owner, both on the street and on the forums.

as for the Tach; have you checked to see if its plugged in all the way? just 2 torx screws in the back will remove it from the steering wheel. i would say unplug, then replug it in firm; could be as simple as that. have you asked the seller about this part of the car yet? seems like if you had a pic with it working, and got the car with it NOT working then something happened that was not told to you.

oil light; well first check for oil; stick with the basics first. could be just low, could be the sensor is bad, or even unplugged. thats an "easy" one to just eyeball; again, try the basics, unplug, replug.

i see you did the ecu reset, thats good, surprising that hasnt fixed anything, but it could be more indicative of say the BCM being bad...

brake switch; i havent "seen" mine, havent had a reason to, but if your handy at all, and have a multi meter, see if you cant find the switch, get the switch out, or find its end leads or some sort of connection, see if it is shorted / open when its not supposed to be. if that works, again, more signs pointing to BCM

Old 03-13-2014, 10:03 AM
OCVeloman
2nd Gear
alright man, im sorry. just relax. we are all here to help, just take the slight bashings that come with being a mini owner, both on the street and on the forums.

as for the Tach; have you checked to see if its plugged in all the way? just 2 torx screws in the back will remove it from the steering wheel. i would say unplug, then replug it in firm; could be as simple as that. have you asked the seller about this part of the car yet? seems like if you had a pic with it working, and got the car with it NOT working then something happened that was not told to you.

oil light; well first check for oil; stick with the basics first. could be just low, could be the sensor is bad, or even unplugged. thats an "easy" one to just eyeball; again, try the basics, unplug, replug.

i see you did the ecu reset, thats good, surprising that hasnt fixed anything, but it could be more indicative of say the BCM being bad...

brake switch; i havent "seen" mine, havent had a reason to, but if your handy at all, and have a multi meter, see if you cant find the switch, get the switch out, or find its end leads or some sort of connection, see if it is shorted / open when its not supposed to be. if that works, again, more signs pointing to BCM
Appreciate the insight. I did pull the tach yesterday, unplugged and replugged and still nothing. The seller shows it as working so i'm thinking something happened in transit and my excitement caused me to not fully test the car prior to signing for it. Oil level is good, checked it yesterday. I am going to drop it off tonight and hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to get the car in the shape i thought i was purchasing it in!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
how many miles on it? mind sharing how much you paid?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM
OCVeloman
2nd Gear
how many miles on it? mind sharing how much you paid?
Not at all; It's a 2005 Cooper S with 97,000 Miles and i paid $6,200.

Here's a link to my intro thread where i posted some pictures: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...community.html

Old 03-13-2014, 12:16 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
if possible, see if you cant find a mini club, or euro car club, someone with another mini who may temporarily let you swap a couple of parts to check against your stuff, like the tach at least.

otherwise, theres this guy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mini-Cooper-R50-R52-R53-02-03-04-05-06-07-08-Tachometer-Instrument-Cluster-/171233188585?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27de4b1ae9&vxp=mtr
not too bad on price imo. but again, could be the BCM. there a mini dealer near you? that might be your best bet to fig out some of these issues (unless you know a shop that does work on minis, and know the person working there: too many horror stories of shops claiming they can work on these cars, only to find out they really botch sh*t up...)

theres always parts on the ebay too

Quick Reply: R50/53 New mini, a couple issues