R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New MINI, aftermarket cruise control available?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 06:29 PM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MINI, aftermarket cruise control available?

I found a Mini Cooper base model available on the showroom today and bought it. I am very satisfied with the base equipment options EXCEPT there is no cruise control and they said that it could not be retrofitted.

Does anyone know of an Aftermarket one that will fit well?

I'm looking forward to enjoying my Mini and this forum.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Doc
ASE Master

Old 05-29-2004, 06:43 PM
XAlfa
Banned
I've found that I can reach and maintain a specific speed with a great amount of precision by manipulating the throttle pedal.

Old 05-29-2004, 07:28 PM
lotsie
Banned
>>I've found that I can reach and maintain a specific speed with a great amount of precision by manipulating the throttle pedal.

Old 05-29-2004, 07:38 PM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
Yes, I've found that method to work except for the miscalibration in my brain. Rather than releasing throttle when I'm going too fast, the miscalibration causes me to go faster, which in an ideal world would be a great thing with lots of fun.

Unfortunately, the police and their radar units make it less than an ideal world.

I've driven at least a million miles, literally, in my life without a cruise control. I just can't control my urge to go too fast to please those guys with their radar units. I drive long distances on the interstates and a cruise control is almost a necessity.

Please, does anyone know of a good aftermarket cruise control.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 05-29-2004, 07:45 PM
lotsie
Banned
Sorry for the smarty remark,but I would be careful of any aftermarket electronics that deal with the MINI computers.Check out threads on remote car starters,alarms,then the warrenty issues that come from these mods
Happy motoring with your new MINI :smile:

Old 05-29-2004, 08:15 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would very much miss not having cruise. It's hard to believe it's not standard equipment. I almost bought a base car that someone had ordered and then decided they didn't want. It didn't have cruise and I was told by my MA, "you can put cruise on it". I asked if they had ever seen one with aftermarket cruise or knew where to get it. The answer was no so I ordered my MINI with the MFSW and a few other things.

In a later discussion at the dealer they admitted they messed up by ordering base MINI's for the dealership without including the MFSW. It's hard to sell a new car, (or even an old one), around here without cruise.

Good luck on finding an aftermarket source. :smile:

R.E.

Old 05-29-2004, 08:51 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
Adding cruise would likely not be a problem if the mini had a manually actuated throttle. I don't know of any aftermarket systems made to interface w/ a MINI's electronics. However, the multi-function steering wheel can be retrofitted to your car, thus giving you cruise control. I don't know what they charge for parts, but the official Multi Function Wheel retrofit instructions suggest 3.5 hours labour. I'll email them to you (a PDF file), if you like.
Peace - Bodinski

Last edited by bodinski; 02-07-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:51 AM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
Thanks very much for all your replies, and there's no apologies necessary for the comments regarding the brain power cruise control.

Bodinski,

The dealer told me, being very honest because it was BEFORE I agreed to buy the car, that cruise could NOT be retrofitted. If replacing the steering wheel is what it takes, I'm okay with that.

I would indeed like any information that you might offer. I'm new to the forum, so I don't know if you can Private Message me or email me without me posting my email address in the open. It appears that you can click and email. If not could you post a request here for my email address.

Everyones help is appreciated and your comments are welcome and fun. I was not in any way offended by the joking comments.

Old 05-30-2004, 06:42 AM
bodinski
5th Gear
I sent it to the address in your profile.
Best - Bodinski

Old 05-30-2004, 08:30 AM
mattcoon
3rd Gear
LilRedMini,

please post back what you find out about price and labor. I spec'd mine w/o the MFSW and I sometimes 2nd guess the decision. I don't miss cruise, yet after 6 months, but I haven't done any longer trips either.

Old 05-30-2004, 01:35 PM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
Mattcoon,

I will indeed let everyone know what I find out. It sounds like it will be an expensive operation. Bodinski very kindly sent me the entire instructions with the retrofit part number. I will get the price of the kit hopefully on Tuesday unless I get buried in work and can't get to it. I will also find out the labor rate at my dealership.

Bodinski,

Do you know of anyone who has done this? It looks like a relatively involved project and requires a competent tech with the right attitude in order to get it done right and not cause problems in the process.

Thanks,

Doc
ASE Master

Old 05-30-2004, 02:28 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
You're quite welcome.
I don't know anyone who's had the MFSW retrofitted. Any MINI service department should suffice. I'd be uneasy about having an independent mechanic attempt this, and I'm fairly certain it'll require some computer tomfoolery as well. I don't know where you are, but you might contact Classic MINI about the kit and/or install. They sponsor this site and have the lowest prices on OEM parts that I've seen. I bought my Euro-shelf from them and am quite pleased.
Bodinski

Old 06-01-2004, 01:05 PM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
Well as requested I'm reporting back what I have learned so far.

The retrofit kit is $795 from my dealers parts counter. I have not checked yet with Classic MINI as bodinski suggested.

The labor is 3.5 hours at $100 per hour at my dealer, so a little quick math makes it $1149. Unless Classic MINI is DRASTICALLY cheaper on the price, I think I'll be using my GreyMatter powered cruise control until I'm sure that I will keep this car.

My wife and daughter both want the car and I want an MCS.

Thanks again for the invaluable information and insightful comments.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:18 PM
spav
3rd Gear
I think Classic Mini discounts for NAM members. Make sure you mention you're a member here. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was 20%.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:18 PM
lotsie
Banned
Good choice,,, I love having my foot tell the car what to do at all times

Old 06-02-2004, 06:11 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say the moral to this story is never buy a MINI without cruise, (MFSW). Even if you think you'll never use it, (which I don't think would be true of most folks), the effect on resale value alone is enough to get it. Almost everyone around here considers cruise an important feature. I can just imagine the look you'd get when trying to sell a car without cruise and telling the potential buyer, "you can always add it on for about $1149.

R.E.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:42 AM
TheGermanJob
1st Gear
Could you send me those PDF instructions for the steering wheel install?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:48 AM
ItaMamuel
2nd Gear
i would too like the PDF instructions...

Ive installed the OBC in my mini and it wasn't very hard...

Just need the list of parts needed ...

The steering wheel you can get it from ebay for 85£.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's what I was going to suggest...

get a used steering wheel, you should be able to install it yourself (remove airbag, bolt on wheel, install airbag).... You WILL have to get it programmed at a dealer though.... Anyway, that should drop the price TONS compared to the $1200 quoted....

Matt

Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Resale is the only reason I have cruise, I wanted the radio and phone controls on the steering wheel and cruise came along, couldn't delete it. I never turn it on, I enjoy driving too much.

YD

Old 10-15-2008, 12:42 PM
RockyMC40
3rd Gear
Mine is lacking cruise control as well. I thought about trying to find a system just like you but after I drove to NC from Denver I just said screw it and got good at using the gas pedal. Makes you pay attention constantly.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMC40
Mine is lacking cruise control as well. I thought about trying to find a system just like you but after I drove to NC from Denver I just said screw it and got good at using the gas pedal. Makes you pay attention constantly.
+1 ...and I plan on keeping my '05 long enough that impact on resale is not a factor.

Cruise is certainly one of two options I'd ask for a do-over if given the chance (the other being heated seats) but interestingly, I don't seem to miss it now and rarely even think about it even on long, cross-country runs. I guess I spend too much time accelerating through curves, jumping past the rock vulnerability zone next to 18-wheelers, passing slower traffic, etc. to notice.

(As far as the heated seats, having a heated garage helps mitigate the absence a lot but let me tell you, those occasional winter nights picking up my MINI at the Minneapolis airport in sub-zero temps can be a real eye opener / pouch freezer / sphincter shrinker. I thank the Maker for Wet Okoles.)

Old 12-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Need to bring this back up from the dead. Are the cars pre-wired for cruise control even for cars without the multi-function steering wheel?

Obviously i do not have cruise control on my car or multi-function wheel. I do A LOT of highway driving and get quite worried about going to fast. There is HEAVY police traffic on the roads i travel; both local and state and i know i'm bound to get caught eventually. I would feel much safer if i had cruise. I used to use it constantly on my previous car.

Can somebody PM me specifically how to do this. I'm not very tech savy, so details are important. Thanks!

(I should mention my car is a 2003 MINI Cooper S; production is 10/02 if that matters)

Last edited by Winchm60; 12-27-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 12-29-2008, 01:00 AM
ItaMamuel
2nd Gear
as far as i talked to bmw the only problem in a retrofitting kit is the extremly expensive cable you have to install in the acellerator pedal!

I'm just looking for a crashed mini with cruise control to take out that cable...

Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Look what came today!!!!

Quick Reply: R50/53 New MINI, aftermarket cruise control available?