R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Alta ic coupler rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Muguerza
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta ic coupler rant

Okay, so i dont know if anybody has had this problem, but here goes

I bought the alta intercooler couplers because my oem couplers were tearing. The day i go to install them i heat them up and i barely get one in, but not all the way, i get tired, take that one off and put the old ones back on, no big deal, next time i will just heat them more

Today i went to install them once again, and i used the heat gun method, didnt work, boiled them 30 minutes and managed to get the large one in, then i go to install the small one, and there is no way the small one will go on the intercooler, its too small!!! Im pissed off at this moment, so i decide to just leave the big one in, i decide to slide on the aluminum clamps, and the moment i slide it in, the coupler is too thick and the clamp slices right through the coupler

I just pulled them off and threw them away

Has anybody else had this issue?

And does anybody know about any other couplers that actually DO FIT?
I know m7 sells some, i believe mini mania sells some and i know WMW sells oem but those seem too expensive, although they might be my only option

Thanks in advance

Old 09-15-2013, 10:59 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've been running them for ten + years with no issues. Give them a call.

Nik

Old 09-16-2013, 03:25 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Why not go OEM? They fit perfect!

Old 09-16-2013, 04:04 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Muguerza
Okay, so i dont know if anybody has had this problem, but here goes

I bought the alta intercooler couplers because my oem couplers were tearing. The day i go to install them i heat them up and i barely get one in, but not all the way, i get tired, take that one off and put the old ones back on, no big deal, next time i will just heat them more

Today i went to install them once again, and i used the heat gun method, didnt work, boiled them 30 minutes and managed to get the large one in, then i go to install the small one, and there is no way the small one will go on the intercooler, its too small!!! Im pissed off at this moment, so i decide to just leave the big one in, i decide to slide on the aluminum clamps, and the moment i slide it in, the coupler is too thick and the clamp slices right through the coupler

I just pulled them off and threw them away

Has anybody else had this issue?

And does anybody know about any other couplers that actually DO FIT?
I know m7 sells some, i believe mini mania sells some and i know WMW sells oem but those seem too expensive, although they might be my only option

Thanks in advance
I have had no issues with them until recently. And I see from your signature you are running an Alta IC. I have the ALTA DFIC2 and was not
able to use their IC Couplers. I ended up using the stock ones instead. I called them, they said it was a tight fit but "doable". Not in my case...

Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM
uromini
3rd Gear
I had a horrendous time getting mine on as well.
Almost threw em away then they finally went on.

they need to be like a mm or 2 longer to be installed with ease.. what a pain!

Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Muguerza
1st Gear
I will probably just buy new oem couplers, figure those will last me another 8 years. Might be a little more expensive, but i know they work and they fit and they wont be a pita to install.

For now i used some gasket sealer on the cracks on the outside of the coupler, then i installed the couplers on the car, i let it idle so it would create vacuum. Some cracks sucked in the gasket sealer slightly, that will hopefully seal a bit better, for now

Old 09-16-2013, 10:52 AM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They ARE a PITA but they DO fit. As hard as they were to get on I know they won't leak.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by OldGameFreaK
They ARE a PITA but they DO fit. As hard as they were to get on I know they won't leak.
Same here they are a ***** to install the first time. Changed the oem ones as the left one was cracked, making me run lean like a ****. I will most likely go back with oem if I have to.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:08 PM
sdiver
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A bent awl tool will make them easier to install...still difficult, but easier.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Cali44redrocket
3rd Gear
Everybody is giving you good advice.....they are harder than hell to get on the first time. You will look at them and laugh because it looks like there is no way that they will fit. A bent awl and vasaline with sweat and tons of cussing is what it took for me to get them on.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Muguerza
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Cali44redrocket
Everybody is giving you good advice.....they are harder than hell to get on the first time. You will look at them and laugh because it looks like there is no way that they will fit. A bent awl and vasaline with sweat and tons of cussing is what it took for me to get them on.
I would rather buy oem couplers that i know for a fact will fit, yes they are more expensive, but itll save me time and energy if for whatever reason i take them off the intercooler, plus my coupler got sliced slightly when putting the clamps on, oem couplers will crack again? Yes, in another few years.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:25 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
this is a very common problem with those. I don't recommend them mainly for their fitment.
As for the M7 ones, they are made for the DFIC. If you don't have the M7 DFIC they won't fit the stock intercooler well.
Go with a set of OEM intercooler boots, they always fit and work. I still use the OEM ones on the race car.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-27-2013, 05:52 AM
onewhippedpuppy
1st Gear
Similar experience here. From the looks of things they simply get some generic silicone couplers and slap their name on them. They aren't nearly pliable enough, the diameter is all wrong, and they are not molded in an oval shape. I bought them because I don't like rubber under the hood of a forced induction car (too much time fighting leaks on a 944 turbo), but in hindsight the OEM ones are dramatically better.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:08 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I don't recommend them mainly for their fitment.
Aaaaay men.