R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Are you a Happy MINI owner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 08:09 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
OH YAAAAHHHHHHHH

Old 03-23-2004, 08:26 AM
fms
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had mine for over a year, and I must be happy, since I'm waiting for my second MINI at present. Going from a wonderful PS/B MC to a CR/W JCW MCS. I think my smile muscles are going to get a serious workout when it finally gets here.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:37 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Four months and 4,000 miles. Very happy.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Peep
3rd Gear
Hello all !!!!

I am new to the board and am sad to say that i do not own a mini (yet).

i started my research by looking at the various printed reviews and hearing that owner satfaction was bad...not believeing it, i decided to find a couple of boards and just hang out and see what the owners were saying --

so i have been lurking on a couple of boards doing some research on if they were/are a good car to get, are the packages worth it, who has what color, how many aftermarket companies are there, and who was having what problems...etc.
and some of the posts were getting me a little scared... :smile: i now can see that while some of you might have problems with your babies...you care too much to just let them slide and because of that...the newer models seem to have less probelms...and that over all you love them and they are good cars --
so thank you for your honesty and happy motoring to you all --

-peep

Old 03-23-2004, 08:58 AM
MiniChristina
4th Gear
Picked up my MCS on Dec 15, 03. I already have 7k miles on it. All I have had was a frozen door ****. That's it... knock on some wood. But seriously... it's more fun than you can ever imagine having in car. Mine 2nd MCS is about 2 weeks away!!!

Old 03-23-2004, 09:20 AM
ohmab
1st Gear
THANk YOU sooo much for starting this thread. It can be very overwhelming to read a lot of the bad with out balancing out the good. It is very interesting that many people have more than 1 MINI in the family and many are buying second ones to replace original ones. That to me is a very positive sign!

Old 03-23-2004, 09:20 AM
conecarver
3rd Gear
March 03 build Cooper... May 03 Delivery... 25K ... 2 regular services.... No major problems at all..... I had a Service soon light... taken care of at the 25k service... (it was the pump that pressureizes the gas tank to check if the gas cap is tight.). and right now I am waiting on a LT front wheel bearing... (making noise) ... considering I Autocross the Car a whole lot!!!! I am very very happy with my MINI!!!

Old 03-23-2004, 09:46 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
happy, happy
joy, joy

Old 03-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Stinger
3rd Gear
10 months with my MCS and I still can't whipe the smile off my face every time I drive it. My only complaint is, I don't get to drive it enough!

Old 03-23-2004, 09:49 AM
MiniMiller
2nd Gear
Took delivery July 12, 2002 of my wonderful DS/BL MCS. I still get a big fat smile everytime I drive it (30k miles later!)

Happy happy happy

Old 03-23-2004, 10:11 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Peep (Isn't that something to eat around Easter time?),

Aloha and welcome to NAM,

>>so i have been lurking on a couple of boards doing some research on if they were/are a good car to get, are the packages worth it, who has what color, how many aftermarket companies are there, and who was having what problems...etc.
>>and some of the posts were getting me a little scared... :smile: i now can see that while some of you might have problems with your babies...you care too much to just let them slide and because of that...the newer models seem to have less probelms...and that over all you love them and they are good cars --
>>so thank you for your honesty and happy motoring to you all --

Some of us have NO problems- great. It is a significant and silent group.
Some of us love our MINIs so much that some problems, even nagging ones will not deter us from having a blast driving our cars. This enthusiasm is dampened if the car is in the service dept more days than out on the road though.
A few MINIs are like that. A recent inquiry in my area for all 2002 lemon cars revealed that MINI%2>
<m had zero lemons. That is not to say that there weren't problems, but problem cars were bought back by the dealership and did not go to be dealt with by our lemon laws.

This is as accurate an assessment as I would venture from my observations over the last 14 months, living and breathing MINI. :smile:

Old 03-23-2004, 12:00 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
Thanks everyone for jumping in with positive feedback. Keep it coming! We've already got a couple of newbies who've appreciated this thread, let's continue on...

SCoop

Old 03-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Peep
3rd Gear
>>Peep (Isn't that something to eat around Easter time?),
>>
>>Aloha and welcome to NAM,
>>
>>This is as accurate an assessment as I would venture from my observations over the last 14 months, living and breathing MINI. :smile:
anyway -- thank you so much for your welcome... they are definatly on my list to look at....i just have not test driven one yet because i know that if i do love it at that point -- it will be really hard to NOT get one....

so again -- thank you for the welcome
peep -
Honorary MINI member... (for right now anyway)

Old 03-23-2004, 02:37 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
Welcome Peep!

You're right about driving = wanting one! That's what sold me! If my test drive hadn't been as exciting as a rollercoaster, I probably would've gone with a GTI or something... but after driving a MINI, there was no substitute... not for the price anyway!

Enjoy NAM and I hope you get your MINI soon!

SCoop

Old 03-23-2004, 02:40 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very Happy with my MCS ( MightyMite ).

Old 03-23-2004, 02:46 PM
C4
Banned
I am a very happy MINI owner. I am not only thrilled with my 2 MINIs (27,000 miles combined) but also with the service provided by my selling dealer and the excelent treatment I have always received from MINIUSA.

Old 03-23-2004, 02:58 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
And best of all is that my best friend who is a Miata "nutter" is GREEN with envy and could puke everytime he sees my car next to his gorgeous black Miata....

Old 03-23-2004, 09:20 PM
PEP
Coordinator ::Bluegrass Minis
I was never a “car guy” and I hated to drive. Then one day my wife said, “Hey, look at what BMW has come out with. It’s called a MINI Cooper.”
I said something like, “It’s weird looking.” and went on.
Over the next few months I looked at miniusa.com and started learning more about these funny looking little cars. They started looking less weird and more interesting…fun…fast…happy…okay I want one.
Over the next year I saved money, built hundreds of MINIs on the website, started lurking here and MINI2 soaking up every bit of knowledge I could, learned to drive a stick, got my grubby little hands on the MINI Configurator and was finally able to see all color combinations at various angles (closest dealer is 150 miles away), flip-flopped over just about every color combination, and on October 18th, 2003 I took the fateful test-drive and placed my order.
Two months later I received my beautiful PW/B MC.
It has been smiles ever since. I now have 3900 miles on PEP and I look forward to many more.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:33 PM
speltzer
5th Gear
9,979 Troublefree miles (had v36 software installed) so far. Mini is tight as a drum as well with zero rattles, squeeks, or buzzes. Here is a pic........

Old 03-24-2004, 01:24 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
15,000 miles in 6 months--July 03 Build, picked up in September. I love my MINI despite it's faults. My leather wrapped steering wheel is now chaffed at the places my hand grips the wheel. That concerns me. My boot latch rattle was fixed with some electrical tape. My rear storage shelf lid still catches on my boot when I close it--scratching up the wiper motor housing. But those are minor. Still, I'm cleaning my white wheels every day!!! And still wiping it down when I get back home to keep Lil'Octane shiny everytime I go out! He's an absolute joy to drive!!

Going to the body shop to fix my bumper tomorrow morning, and then off to the dealer on Monday for V36 and some fixes.

The wife still doesn't understand my obsession. Though she recently had an eye awakening experience when she spent some time with my MINI friends and realized they were all just like me!

Check out our new C3 Forum. Lets Motor for a Worthy Cause!

Old 03-24-2004, 03:14 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Ok here goes,DESPITE the problems I've had with windshields(6 to date),I am totally in love with this car.Any other car and I would have bailed LONG ago.Put my deposit($500) on the car 10 months before the first one would hit the docks,and I was still #173 at that dealership!Waited a looooooong time ,July build,2002mcs,Dk. Silver /white roof,EBD.DSC,multi-function steering wheel,on board computer ,winter pkg.,Blk leather/heated seats,10 spoke alloys on 16" allseason runflats(dunlop).
I have arrived at a 32 mile commute that takes me 90% on twisty back roads that I commute at 4:30 AM and arrive at work with a permanent smile.I can report that I am optomistic that my glass troubles look like they're behind me.I have been given the first of a new breed of windshields,and despite having taken a couple of good solid hits ,remains intact!!! all in all TWO THUMBS UP ON THIS DELIGHTFULL LITTLE CAR! :smile:

Old 03-24-2004, 03:28 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
19 months....34K

Am I happy a Happy MINI owner?

Most of the times yes.... sometimes no.... is my answer.
When it's good it's real good and when it's bad..... it's plenty bad.
I've never owned a car I enjoyed driving as much as this MCS (except for maybe my Austin Healey ...but that was a different time & place )

I've also....never owned a car that I spent as much time... "fixing"...small little problems that arise often. I know every person by their 1st name @ my dealership... caus I'm always there...for something....why is that....lol :smile:

Peace,
D

Old 03-24-2004, 03:51 AM
orvillespooner
2nd Gear
Yes. 34k, 2003 MC 5spd. Delivery 12/23/2002. After my experience I believe there only two REAL problems with the MINI. They are cracked windshields (which I have NOT experienced on my MINI) and problems with the 5spd transmission in cold weather. All other problems reported are being taken care of by dealer, rattles, coolant tanks on MCS, or are simply MINI idiosyncrosies. If you modify your new car, then I have little sympathy for you. My car is stock as it came and I would report that the car drives as new, has no rattles, is very dependable, looks great and I still LOVE it. I did have a replacement transmission installed and I have less than a "warm fuzzy feeling" about it. I would not buy a used MINI nor would I buy a new MINI with a 5spd, until the Getrag comes out. Buy a base MCS, or wait till Getrag, unless you will never drive your car in weather colder than 10f.
The MINI Cooper is a wonderful driving car, very nimble and safe. Accident avoidance it excells in!

Old 03-24-2004, 04:37 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
Couldn't be happier, 21K miles no problems! I've already got my deposit down on a Cabrio!